Log In Sign Up

Ryan's Birth Story :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2012, 05:55 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,135
Ryan Scott
January 17th, 2012
8lb 7.3oz
21.5 inches long

I was scheduled to be induced Tuesday the 17th due to calcification on the placenta. The calcification was found at the 36 week ultrasound so we began twice weekly NSTs to monitor baby. I had my last NST Monday morning (the 16th). Everyone at work the week before had said I had dropped so I asked at my Monday appointment for the OB nurse to check me to see if I was dilated at all. From what I understand if I was dilated at all they would go straight to piocen. If not, I would need the pill in my cervix. I was 2-3 cm dilated, 50% effaced and -1 station. Yay! So she stripped my membranes. That day I had to drive my 2 year old to a specialist about an hour and a half away so I brought my mom with me just in case. The contractions got much more crampy and were about 10-15 minutes apart.

That evening they were about 10 minutes apart, but I was able to sleep through them. So I went to bed and slept terribly until about 2:30am. I got up and got a shower to see if things changed. They didn't change so I timed them for an hour and they were about 4-5 minutes apart. I called the doctor around 4 am and she said to head to the hospital. We packed up Anna and headed out. I went to triage, they had me change, checked my cervix and admitted me right away. I was about 3 cm at 4:30 am. Anna, Jared and I hung out until about 7 and then Jared took her to the babysitter.

At 9am my doctor came in and checked me. I was 5cm and they asked to put on a fetal monitor. With the calcium on the placenta I was a bit nervous so I agreed. They couldn't get the monitor in because it got caught in his hair. They took it out and you could see all these little strands of brown hair on the monitor. It was cute and a bit weird. Like a little sneak preview. I planned on getting an epidural due to my previous retained placenta and blood transfusion. They contractions were very bearable but my OB said to get it now instead of waiting since I was getting one anyway. So at 9am I was put on the waiting list (a c-section had just started). After a few more contractions the little pierce my OB made in my water caused my water to break. The contractions intensified a LOT. We asked how much longer before the epidural and apparently I was in line behind the c-section and then two other laboring moms. oh joy. I went all natural with Anna, but I was mentally prepared for that pain. I had a lot more support and was able to labor in the tub, and on a therapy ball. I was pretty much stuck in bed (or night next to it) and was absolutely terrified of delivering without the epidural and needing to go under general anesthesia again. So that made the contractions seem so much more painful to me. I was screaming on the top of my lungs. My husband and nurse were so sweet. I was probably pretty scary looking, and my husband was terrified. I was in a lot of pain with my first, but didn't scream at all, because I wasn't scared. The nurse convinced me to get some Nubian, which helped a little bit. It still hurt like hooey, but I was able to not scream during them.

I think around 12 the anesthesiologist came in and gave me the epidural (my time might be a bit off, after I got the Nubain I was a bit loopy). It was hard sitting still while she did everything, but the epidural didn't hurt a bit, it just felt weird knowing someone was putting a needle in my back. They said it would kick in after about 15 minutes, but it didn't work on the left side. They had me lay on my left side to get the medicine to go that way, and the nurse gave me 2-3 boluses to help speed things up with the pain. It finally started to work on my left side, and I could move my left leg, but I couldn't lift or feel my right leg at all. It was so weird.

My mom came to visit and Jared left to get some lunch. I dozed off throughout the afternoon because of the Nubain. But I wasn't in much pain. Every now and then the pain would come back on my left side and the nurse would have to give me some extra meds through the epidural. Around 3 I was having a lot of pain on my left side and I asked for another bolus, but my nurse kept stalling. Then she said she didn't want me to get more because she thought it would be time to push soon and she wanted me to feel how to push. I hadn't been checked since 9am when my OB was in. They got my OB back to the hospital around 4pm and she checked me I was complete and they told me I could push. I had been feeling a lot of pressure and some pain for about an hour and a half, so I think I was probably 10 cm for at least an hour. I pushed for about an hour. It was very frustrating because it took so long and although they told me I was doing well, I felt like I wasn't making any progress. I was afraid that being in a hospital they would get impatient with me and try to intervene in some way, but they didn't, they were very encouraging.

Ryan Scott was born at 5:11pm sunny side up. They said that is why it took so long to push him out. Jared and I were so in love with him immediately. Right before Ryan crowned I accidently pulled out my IV and because they were worried about me needing another blood transfusion the nurse had to put in another IV while I was pushing. It was kind of funny, I'm pushing and the nurse has my other hand putting the needle in it. After I delivered they stitched me up, I had only a 1st degree tear. And then just a short time later the placenta came out all on its own! It was such a relief. It came out easily and all in one piece. The OB showed us the placenta and the calcification. It looked like it was speckled with white marks. It was really neat to see.

Anna got to come in after about 45 minutes. She climbed up on the bed and immediately wanted to kiss and hold the baby. She seems to really like him. In the first 10 minutes she tried to feed him an ice cube and a chicken finger though, so we'll have to keep a very very close eye on her because she just doesn't understand that he's not her baby doll and that she could hurt him. I was able to go home after 24 hours, and we are adjusting well. It is very busy with two, but not as scary as I thought : )


Reply With Quote
February 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 19,640
congratulations! he's so beautiful.
msjaQ- 28, pantheist AP detroit mama to:
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0