The birth of Mathias

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran
I went in for my induction on the night of Sunday, January 29th. We arrived at the hospital around 8 PM and my first dose of Cytotec was inserted at about 8:30 PM. At that time, I was 1.5 cm dilated and about 80% effaced. I was already having regular contractions, but they were not painful at all--they felt just like BH contractions, except they were about 3 minutes apart.

The first four hours of Cytotec were uneventful; my contractions stayed about the same pain-wise. When it came time to check me again at about 12:30 AM, I was only 2.5 cm dilated and still about 80% effaced. With the second dose of Cytotec, my contractions started to get a little more on the uncomfortable side, but I still didn't consider myself in pain.

At 4:30 AM, I was 4 cm dilated and (I believe) 90% effaced, and they started my pitocin at about 4:45. My contractions started to get a bit more painful at this point, but I had them rated at about a 3 on the 0 to 10 scale my hospital used. I was just starting to doze off at about 5:15, expecting to be on pitocin for at least another 6 to 8 hours before the action really started. Just as I fell asleep, my water broke! I told my nurse (who was amazing, by the way) and everyone was ushered out of the room except for my DF Matt.

As they were cleaning me up and changing my sheets, my contractions started to get more painful. I was needing to breathe through them, although they were manageable. Around 5:30, once I was all cleaned up and in new sheets (which I promptly threw up on; I threw up on the bed as she was exchanging my barf bag lol), I was checked again and was at 6 cm dilated, 100% effaced, and 0 station! At this point, I was asked and I decided to go ahead and get my epidural while I still had the chance.

However, by 5:45, my contractions were so painful I was beginning to moan. Mathias's heart rate kept dropping into about the 60s with each contraction, although I wasn't aware of this at that point. I was given an oxygen mask (which I distinctly remembering fogging up each time I tried to do my breathing exercises). If I hadn't been so consumed by the pain, I think I might have been panicking--especially when my body began to push during the contractions. I told my nurse after the second contraction this happened during--"My body's trying to push during contractions." She looked at me like I was crazy, and told me to fight the feeling because I was only 6 cm dilated--but halfway through her sentence, another contraction started and she sent the OB tech out into the hall to find a doctor.

She checked me (I think it was right at 6 AM at this point) and I was at a 9, and his head was "right there". They told me to try and resist pushing so I didn't irritate my cervix. Matt was trying to coach me through breathing, the whole "hee hee hoo" routine. It helped a little bit to focus on that. They kept telling me not to push, but after maybe 2 minutes of heeheehooing, they caught a glimpse between my legs as I was switching sides and they could see his head.

They told me to start pushing as they set up the table. I pushed a total of 5 times through one contraction, and Mathias Michael Minjarez was born at 6:16 AM on his due date of January 30th, delivered by a mishmash of my nightshift nurses and the dayshift nurses who had arrived at 6 AM. He cried quietly when they carried him from me to the warmer, and then just took everything in after that. My OB rushed in just too late at about 6:20, delivered my placenta and stitched up my 2nd degree tear, and congratulated us.

Mathias scored an 8 on his 1 minute APGAR and a 9 on his 5 minute. He was 6 lbs 14 oz and 19.5 inches long.

He is such a sweet, mellow baby and we feel so blessed to have had everything go smoothly!

Pictures to follow
February 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations, mama. i'm glad everything went well!!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search