"Grunting Baby Syndrome"...anyone heard of it?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Overjoyed-new-mommy
  • 1 Post By readyfornumber2
  • 1 Post By -Anna-

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Overjoyed-new-mommy's Avatar Elisha
Everything I have read sounds exactly like what Rilyn does! I don't get any sleep at night...it's awful! Does anyone have any experience with this?? If so, any suggestions on what to do?

February 2nd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Super Mommy
Idan grunts but I think its because of the reflux.. does he have any other signs? like spit ups, bubbles in his mouth, looking up, etc? This is my second reflux baby, so im not too worried about the grunting, it passes..what does the Ped say?

February 2nd, 2012, 09:00 AM
She does not spit up and rarely has bubbles. She does seem to have some issues with gas and we have been using Mylicon drops with very little relief. From her first night feeding(1-3am) until morning she grunts and strains, I will check on her often and she is still sleeping. However, no one else in the room is sleeping! I am not comfortable putting her in her own room yet, we just aren't sleeping. She looks like she is in pain at times pulling her legs up and letting out a loud cry but I think that is when she has her gas bubbles. She is not an easy baby to burp, we have to really work at it in a lot of different positions. She still is eating consistently about every 2-3 hours. When I put her down to sleep I have had her lying flat, on her side and in a reclined position, none seem to make much difference. She does the grunting occasionally during the day too but nothing like at night. I am currently looking into music/natural womb sounds to play next to her at night to see if this might help. I am only getting 15-30 minute stretches of sleep adding up to maybe 4 hours each night and it is starting to wear me down. She started making all the noise at about 1 week old...

February 2nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Super Mommy
Everythng you are describing seems totally normal to a newborn. I would discuss it with her ped but this is my third baby and they all do the same thing.. They grunt and they seem to have gas pain and they are just adjusting to life outside the womb. Its hard to be a newborn baby.. 4 hours of sleep is about what right. Idan grunts and he makes chocking sounds and sleeps only while he is on top of me. If i put him down he starts to make all these noises again and wakes up right away.. Seriously? ! I she nursing or formula? When is her next ped appt? and can you get any sleep during the day and have someone take Rilyn out of the room for a few hours so you can catch up and regain energy? I think that she is probably too young to take out of your room yet and im not sure that would help anyway because Im sure you will have the baby monitor on anyway .

February 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
She is breast fed now. The doctor didn't say much other than babies make a lot of noise. I am not concerned that this is not normal newborn behavior, I just don't think everyone understands how loud and frequent this is. She can be heard if I am in another room and it is multiple, multiple times every hour for a majority of the night. I am curious why it gets so much worse at night and with all the reading I have done I thought maybe someone else might have a loud baby on their hands too! Her next appt isn't until March. Unfortunately I never was good at sleeping during the day, even when I worked 12 hr night shifts. I do at least rest on the couch but it isn't enough some days! Hopefully this phase will pass here in the next few weeks...thankfully I do not go back to work until April
Iritee likes this.

February 2nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Super Mommy
My baby is also experiencing this. It does happen during the day, but most often at night, she grunts and strains and makes a ton of noise. I am learning to ignore it, because she does not wake up during this time, and I need sleep! lol. I check on her, but if she stays asleep, then I sleep, too. DD is BF and we are supplementing with formula before switching to exclusively formula in a few weeks. When I asked the ped, he said that until she gains full control over her tummy muscles, to expect this. It gets easier, try to sleep through it. Maybe a sound machine will help you to sleep also?
Iritee likes this.

February 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Natalie grunts a lot as well and makes really strange noises in her sleep and during feedings. I suspect she has some silent reflux, but since she is feeding well and not in terrible pain, that she will just outgrow it. She does get gas pains every once in a while, but i've started adding a few drops of mylicon to each bottle which makes a big difference.

As to dealing with it, I just try to ignore it. I know how hard that is, but the noises are normal and if they were bothering her, she'd be crying. At night i don't hear it (she's in her own room next to ours) and during the day, I've just learned to not pick her up from a nap unless I'm completely sure she is awake.

February 2nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Just lurking. DD1 did some of that during the first month or so. She stayed with me so I was constantly waking up from it. I thought it was her getting hungry back then, and I was feeding her pretty much every two hours because of it. Read months later that this was a normal thing babies do. =P Lost so much sleep!

Planning on having this next one right outside my room this go. Gonna run an air purifier to help me not notice her sounds at night. I agree that if baby isn't crying, she's alright. =)
February 3rd, 2012, 12:20 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Tyler grunts a LOT when awake and asleep..its very hard to try and fall asleep while she is grunting / making noise right by me
February 3rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's 2:30 and I'm on JM because Chloe is grunting so loud in her bassinet right now that I cant go to sleep. I feel your pain.
sarahmomma likes this.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
February 3rd, 2012, 07:27 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
I too have a grunter and she disturbs my sleep a lot because she is so loud. It will pass I promise just hang in there.
February 3rd, 2012, 08:10 AM
Thank you ladies for joining in! I appreciate hearing I am not the only one...maybe I will need to move her into her room....guess we will give it a little longer and see how she does!

February 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM
hotpinktulips's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfornumber2 View Post
My baby is also experiencing this. It does happen during the day, but most often at night, she grunts and strains and makes a ton of noise. I am learning to ignore it, because she does not wake up during this time, and I need sleep! lol. I check on her, but if she stays asleep, then I sleep, too. DD is BF and we are supplementing with formula before switching to exclusively formula in a few weeks.
Exactly what I was going to say. Kaleb has done this since the day we brought him home. I couldn't believe how noisy he was! I too am starting to get used to it and will peek on him, then roll over and go back to sleep.

Hope you guys get some sleep soon.

ETA: Mylicon didn't work very well for DS, so we switched to Gripe Water and it has made a big difference.

~Special thanks to *Kiliki* for my adorable siggy~

Last edited by hotpinktulips; February 5th, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
April 13th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies. I'm from the feb 12 playroom. My son is 7 weeks old an has been having this problem since he was born. He also has reflux and is on Zantac for it. I can't figure out what causes it because sometimes he will go 3 hours without making noise but then after his first feeding he will grunt and whine every 5-10 minutes for the rest of the night.

Just wondering if this problem had gotten any better for any of you and If so, what did you do or what age was it that it got better?
April 14th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist20 View Post
Hi ladies. I'm from the feb 12 playroom. My son is 7 weeks old an has been having this problem since he was born. He also has reflux and is on Zantac for it. I can't figure out what causes it because sometimes he will go 3 hours without making noise but then after his first feeding he will grunt and whine every 5-10 minutes for the rest of the night.

Just wondering if this problem had gotten any better for any of you and If so, what did you do or what age was it that it got better?
Your baby is adorable!

We had the same problem and the pediatrician attributed it to reflux. (although there were other symptoms that made the reflux diagnosis more probable. Some babies grunt as they learn to adjust to their new world she said). Anyway... We started on zantac at about seven or eight weeks if I remember right, and the grunting and general "restlessness" stopped very soon after.

We are now four months and she's a very quiet sleeper. Hope this helps.

April 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Super Mommy
He's been on Zantac for 5 weeks now and it doesn't help much. I breastfeed so she said to try taking dairy out of my diet which I've been doing horrible at :-(. But he grunts at night while he's asleep, I'm never sure whether or not to pick him up or not he sounds like he's in pain but then will continue sleeping
April 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had to eliminate dairy around that time, too. Ive since been able to add it back in Perhaps you need a different reflux med? Sometimes its trial and error. The grunting should eventually stop, but I'd mention it at your next ped visit. It might help to put your mind at ease. This too shall pass

April 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you I appreciate your help! I'm going to ask pedi at his next appt. I know he will grow out of it it's just so hard right now
April 16th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Rilyn grew out of it after she passed about 10lbs for weight. Her digestive system has matured now and she doesn't poo every day anymore. She sleeps soundly all night every night now...it was a long first couple months but she did outgrow it! For her it had nothing to do with reflux....she just needed to grow I hope my next baby someday does not make so much noise though!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search