Being sent to Children's Hospital for our belly button issues...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SmilesAreContagious

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2012, 06:16 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
We went BACK to the pediatrician today for Mallory's belly button. It has NEVER looked good since it fell off. It has oozed and crusted and never healed. It fell off on day 5/6 and was cauterized a week after that with the silver nitrate. She was seen again for it several days after and still wasn't making any progress. This morning it looked really red and gross so i got her in. We saw a different doctor in the practice this time, which might be the difference in the decision to send her on to Children's.

In any case, dr said that it doesn't appear to be a granoloma(sp?) or a hernia. That it doesn't have the telltale signs of either. He says he couldn't get enough of a look at it and is sending us to see the pediatric surgeon for fear that she may not have closed off some opening that is there in early formation in the womb. So, the office will be calling us back with an appt to go into Boston to the Children's hospital.

I am very scared. I did some googling (I know...should never google when it concerns health issues!!!) and am now concerned we aren't being aggressive enough with getting this looked at. I hope they can get us in early in the week and that nothing gets worse over the weekend. UGH. This is the article that has me in tears...Danger from the Belly Button | Family Health | DISCOVER Magazine

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

February 2nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
Im so sorry you are facing this. Childrens Hospital Boston is amazing (or so ive heard from other heart parents i know). There is something so special about Childrens hospital that most peope dont know until their child recieves care there. Seriously, the place is filled with earths angels. In the time we spent I loved every single person I came in contact with that worked there. Although Id rather see that no kids are sick I think Mallory will be in amazing hands and you will finally be able to put a end to her belly button troubles. Ill pray for you guys.

When you call tell them its urgent, they should get you in quickly. Good luck mama.
February 2nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That does sound scary, especially after reading the article. But I think you need to try and calm down. Right now is not the time to borrow trouble. I don't want to sound harsh, but excessive worrying is not going to help you. (I am a master at flying to point Z so this comes from experience)

Watch her for a fever or redness around the skin, if either of those show up I would head for the ER and tell them your Pedi is concerned and you are supposed to go to Children's, but that the symptoms got worse.

HUGS, I hope Mallory's belly button heals up quickly, and that you get some answers soon.
February 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, Jen! I know it's scary, but try to remain calm. I'm sure that if your doctor was more concerned, s/he would send you to the hospital right away.

I know it's easier said than done, but try not to get too upset. (but I'm not a good one to give advice-I'd be just like you)

Lots of thoughts and prayers. Hugs!

February 2nd, 2012, 07:38 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
I also wanted to add that Childrens does.have a ER so if anything gets worse before your scheduled appt just head to thelr ER. And NO More dr google. dr google is the most negitive uneducated Dr there is. Id search for a.support group on FB or something and try to find parents who have gone through what you are going through, otherwise just trust your doctor.
cynb and KnJ'sMomma727 like this.

Last edited by SmilesAreContagious; February 2nd, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
February 2nd, 2012, 07:39 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilesAreContagious View Post
Im so sorry you are facing this. Childrens Hospital Boston is amazing (or so ive heard from other heart parents i know). There is something so special about Childrens hospital that most peope dont know until their child recieves care there. Seriously, the place is filled with earths angels. In the time we spent I loved every single person I came in contact with that worked there. Although Id rather see that no kids are sick I think Mallory will be in amazing hands and you will finally be able to put a end to her belly button troubles. Ill pray for you guys.

When you call tell them its urgent, they should get you in quickly. Good luck mama.
We have been blessed with Children's Hospital Boston with both of the older kids...Leila with her kidney reflux(resolved now) and Owen with his congenital hypothyroidism. They are WONDERFUL!!! I have nothing negative to say about there!!!! Well maybe the parking costs but that is it.

I guess I didn't mention that what is worrying me most about that article is the fact that the immediate area of the belly button IS beat red. The fact that that article says that is a reason to worry scares me. It isn't more red than before so I am leaning on that.

I will be watching her like a hawk until she is seen for sure! She is acting like her normal self, with the minor snuffly nose she got from her sister and brother. I just want her seen for this so I KNOW. I like action not wait games.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

February 2nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
ladybugwoods's Avatar Super Mommy
I hope Mallory is fine and doesn't need anything done. Try to stay calm. Remember you don't know anything for sure yet and Google is always an online panic attack
February 3rd, 2012, 01:17 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, it stinks when there is something wrong with our little ones! I hope it is nothing serious.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 3rd, 2012, 02:46 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
Just wanted to give you a big hug and tell you that I hope that it heals up quickly. There are plenty of instances where the surgery to correct the opening was succesful so try not to think about the one case that article refers to. My sister was actually 23 when it was discovered that her tube to the bladder had not closed and she would require surgery because it had never had any effect on her and the surgery went fine. Breathe Momma you will have an answer very soon.
February 3rd, 2012, 07:33 AM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww, poor Peach

My thoughts are with you all. Keep us posted!

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
February 3rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
I hope they can give you some answers and get her healed quickly!

February 3rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
Hoping that everything is okay and that you get answers soon.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!
February 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you get some answers soon (from real doctors, not the google ones!).

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search