Pain and swelling in hands?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2012, 07:17 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
I know some swelling is normal but my hands are still pretty swollen and there's pain throughout my wrists. I feel pain/soreness in my joints and when I pick up something like a gallon of milk/water the pain gets really bad and I almost drop whatever I'm holding. Anyone have any experience with this? Should I call the doctor about it?

February 5th, 2012, 05:43 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
I havent had experience with it but I think you need to call your doc right away because swelling is a sign of eclampsia which can happen after delivery. Better safe than sorry.
February 5th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Mom2TuckerElla's Avatar Super Mommy
Eclampsia is something to rule out, but i think it sounds more like carpel tunnel which should subside after the fluid leaves your body.... If you get a headache or see spots, with right upper stomach pain-I sould see your doc immed. But if its just your hands, I would call on monday for an appt.....hope you feel better soon!
February 5th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I didn't even think about carpel tunnel, and it does feel exactly like that. I haven't had any other symptoms, so it's likely to be the culprit.

February 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Just lurking. Ditto to Jess. That sounds exactly like carpal tunnel. I've had it for the past month or so, and this past week it just got bad enough to start really hurting. Hurts a bunch right when I wake up, when I pick up milk, etc. Sometimes the pain radiates up to my elbows. If you had it before you delivered, I wouldn't worry. It normally clears up within a few weeks of birth. If this is new, I would touch base with my OB. For now get some wrist braces. They really help to support that nerve in your arm.
February 5th, 2012, 09:30 AM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
I would call the doctor as well. You don't want to be holding your LO and have problems like that! Let us know what they say!

February 5th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah I've had it for a few years now and have a brace I wear to work sometimes for my left hand. I can't believe I didn't think about it before now. The pain only radiates when I have to close my hand around something to pick it up, but I'm still careful when I pick up Jaxon because I definitely don't want anything happening to him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search