Question about awake time during the day

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, so this is something that I was never sure how to handle with Max, and it is starting to come up with Natalie. Over the last couple of days she has started taking shorter naps, so instead of feeding, staying alert for 20-30 minutes and then napping for two hours until the next feeding, she naps for about 45 minutes at a stretch and then is up and fussy for an hour before the next feeding. She's always quite content to look around in the bjorn or just watch the world from her stroller before her nap, but after her nap she is so fussy. The pacifier will soothe her, but i just don't like relying on that, and I know she's not hungry as it will have only been 2 hours since the last feeding and she isn't showing hunger signs. (Actually, last week when i thought she might have silent reflux or some gas issues I took her to the pediatrician and she told me, after going through all the signs/fussiness i was describing, plus weighing her, that I was just overfeeding my poor baby - ugh).

Any ideas on how to lengthen the naps or to keep her content until it's time to feed her and start the next cycle?

February 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM
corilyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was wondering the same thing, Myles has been doing the same thing. I wonder what everyone has to say. I wonder if I'm over feeding him too.

February 6th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Super Mommy
Maybe try to switch it up, swaddling for a while, bouncing, rocking? Haven is awake for hours at a time, then when she goes down for a nap, it can be difficult to get her to sleep, so I cycle through swaddling her, patting her back, bouncing her and using a paci. It takes a while, but eventually she calms down. Maybe try different soothing things will help?

February 6th, 2012, 08:46 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cycle through a couple things...

I'll change her diaper, check to see if she is a good temperature, we'll walk into another room and I try soothing her there (I call this 'a change of scenery') I put her in the bouncy seat (it has a vibrating thing) and I will swaddle her if she's really not settling down.. I hate using the pacifier too, I generally only give it when we've gotten to the swaddling since she does calm down most of the time. She doesn't like the swing unless she's content so I stopped trying that when she's upset
February 6th, 2012, 09:04 AM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you tried different comforting noises? Chloe likes noises, so when she is in her swing we will turn on the music. If she is just hanging out in the living room, we are sure to have lots of activity and sound going.

I'm curious though as to her being overfed and the pacifier soothing her. Maybe she just has a really strong need to suck and it's resulting to her being overfed because she really just has the need to suck on something. Just a thought.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
February 6th, 2012, 09:57 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Flynn has been getting bored so we started switching it up while he is awake. I sit him in the boppy pillow, his bouncy chair and now I put a blanket on the floor and let him lay down there and look around. Also, carrying him room to room and talking to him and letting him look around calms him too.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
February 6th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Regular
I didn't even know that you could overfeed them! I assumed they stop when they are full. Dylan is always fussy after he gets done nursing, so sometimes I'll pop a bottle of expressed milk in his mouth thinking he's still hungry. This always puts him to sleep but then he wakes up covered in puke. DH is always throwing him at me when he's fussy claiming "he's starving" when I know there's no way he could be hungry. Guess I'll be stopping doing that!
February 6th, 2012, 01:05 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My pedi just told me today that the reason that Cody spits up after extra long feedings is because he is overly full! Apparently, he just wants to keep sucking just to soothe himself, but since my milk keeps coming out, he gets too much of it.

My problem is, he also won't take a pacifier, so... Oh, well! Now I have a better idea of when he is sucking because he's hungry and when that stops, I pop him off the boob so he won't overeat.

February 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Anna - it's funny you say that because the pediatrician said the same thing, but it was really because i was kinda forcing her to take more than she wanted even though she was not sucking, or even pushing it away. I thought it was reflux, since she'd been taking the same amount the day before, so i wanted her to have a full meal. But when she was weighed and we saw that she'd gained 18 oz in 10 days, the doctor said that was the problem. I still think she has some reflux and am tempted to try the cereal even though the doctor said no (my mom and grandma swear by it) - Anna, how is that going for you???

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search