Jaxon Leshaun's emotional birth (Very long & pic heavy)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
I've been trying to write my birth story for a few days now and every time I do I cry and delete it. So here it goes... (Sorry in advance, it's very long.)

I woke up Friday January 27th at 10am with contractions around 8-10 minutes apart that felt like an annoying menstrual cycle. I was 41 weeks exactly and at first thought this wasn't the real deal. I had started to think I would never go into labor on my own and was skeptical. Around 1pm I noticed an increase in pain level and started to time them again, 6-8 minutes apart! I finally admitted to myself that this was definitely the beginning stages of labor and decided to get all the last minute things together while I waited for things to pick up. Throughout the day I ate, played with Avian, and continued my normal routine, I was pretty uncomfortable when a contraction came but I was determined to labor at home for as long as I could. At 1am things were still the same, uncomfortable but manageable. I decided to get a little sleep. It was as if me laying down relaxing made things speed up and was only asleep for 30 minutes when I had the first breathtaking contraction. I moved from the bedroom to the couch and watched Netflix, breathing through each contraction that came. At 3am they were coming every 3 minutes and I had to really focus through them so I decided to call my ride. I woke up Patrick and told him it was time and said I would meet him at the hospital after he dropped Avian off at my mom's. I thought he might freak out this time but he was actually very calm and very excited.

We got to the ER, signed in and was ready to go at 3:33am, it was painful to stand there and wait for my wristband but I was so excited to finally be in labor that I didn't mind the pain much. We had about a 15 minute wait in the ER because L&D was extremely busy that night. I finally got my room and things just went so fast from there. I changed into a gown, got hooked up to the monitors and checked within minutes and was happy to hear that I was 5cm and 80% effaced! I had 3 different nurses coming in and out doing various things, IV in my left hand, blood work in my right arm and another nurse asking me a million questions. My labs came back fine so I was in the clear for an epidural if I wanted one. Around 5am my contractions were so intense that I opted to get it.

At 8:30am the doctor finally came in to see me. He walked into the room like he owned the hospital and took my cup of ice chips out of my hand and said "I don't allow ice". I was annoyed but let it go. He checked me and said I was 7cm with just a bit of lip of cervix left and -2 station which worried him a little. I noted to him that I could feel everything, he said I was only feeling "pressure" since I had the epidural. He broke my water and said he would be back soon to check my progress again.

At 9:30am he was back, I was 8cm but everything else was the same. He told the nurse to start Pitocin. I immediately told him no that I didn't want it. He started to explain that the lip of cervix left was starting to swell and that if not taken care of quickly I would need an emergency c-section. I agreed and they started the drip at a 4. Within minutes I started to feel intense contractions. They were back to back and getting stronger. Patrick was getting worried since I had the epidural and asked the nurse to look at it, it had shut off and I honestly have no idea how long it had been but I could feel everything.

At 10:00am I had one of the worst contractions I've ever felt in my entire life and felt a weird dropping sensation and tons of pressure. The nurse was right beside me, still tinkering with the epidural machine, I told her "I think the baby is between my legs!" she said "No, I think you're just getting close to complete." She pulled up the sheet and her face told me everything, I was right. She started calling people on her headset while she was setting up the bed. She was moving so fast and trying to do everything at once and still trying to get someone to come in the room to help her. She had Patrick help her put the bed into position and pull up the stir-ups. As soon as my legs were up I felt the intense need to push, the doctor was still a no show. My nurse kept telling me "I know it's hard, but please try not to push." That is easier said than done! The pain was intense but it was bearable, I just had to remind myself that it was going to be over soon. I just kept saying over and over "I really need to push, please let me push." I remember trying to breath and not vocalize but it was impossible, I moaned and wimpered. While we waited for the doctor the nurse was doing perineal massages and trying to talk me through the pain. My best friend recorded the whole thing!

Finally the doctor came in, gloved up and I started to push. The 1st push was the most painful part of the entire delivery, the ring of fire is definitely a suitable name, his head was out. The 2nd push and I felt him slide a little but then stop, the doctor pulled and I thought he was going to hurt the baby but he was trying to help his shoulders which were stuck. The 3rd push was very short and he came out with a huge gush of fluid behind him. The baby wasn't crying, he was gagging and was purple. The doctor gave Patrick the scissors to cut the chord but Patrick was freaking out saying "Take him, he's purple, just take him" but he kept insisting he cut the cord, so I told him to hurry up and cut it so they could take him. As soon as he snipped the cord the doctor handed the baby over and left! He actually walked out of the room!

Patrick and my 2 best friends were over by the baby while I was delivering the placenta, but I could see a greenish tube being inserted into his mouth and blood was being sucked out of it. He still wasn't crying and the look on everyone's faces made me even more alarmed. The nurse walked over with the baby and let me hold him for a minute, she said "Here you go Mom, only for a minute, he's having a hard time breathing so I'm going to take him with me to observe him for a little while." He had blood in the corners of his eyes and all over his face but he was still so beautiful. I didn't put it together that he was in that much distress, I guess because the nurses weren't rushing around acting frantic. I honestly thought that by "observe" she meant she would keep a closer eye on him in the nursery.

When we got to the post partum room my 2 friends told me what had happened after he was born. The nurse who cut the rest of his cord off went over him instead of around and blood poured out of the cord into his mouth and on his face. He was already choking and gagging to breathe and inhaled the blood and that's when she put the tube down his throat to suction him.

As soon as the post partum nurse did her assessment I took a quick shower, put on my regular comfy clothes and tennis shoes and called the nursery. I was absolutely horror struck when they transferred me to the NICU. After a brief explanation of why he was there I told the nurse I would rather talk in person and headed to the NICU. The nurse joked when she saw me, saying "You're the patient? Where is your hospital gown and wheel chair? You look like you're ready to run a marathon!" I joked back and said "You think giving birth naturally is gonna hold me down? Not a chance." Even with the joking, I wasn't prepared for what I was about to see but I held it together. I was determined not to cry in front of him, I wanted to be strong and pass those feelings to him.

The nurse explained that Jaxon had inhaled quite a bit of amniotic fluid but they were pretty sure there wasn't any meconium in it. She said that he was having a hard time breathing, his heart was having to work extra hard and that he had air around his lungs (pneumothorax). He had a suctioning tube down his throat, he was on oxygen and had a C-PAP machine taped to his face, he had an IV in his arm for antibiotics and a splint to keep him from bending his arm, he had the blood pressure cuff around his ankle and another cuff around his foot measuring his heartrate, and heat lamps since he couldn't maintane his body temperature. So many cords for such a little body. The machines were noisy and his little chest was so distended and rising and falling so fast. His respirations were between 140-170 per minute, normal range is 30-40 per minute. I didn't cry until I had to go back to my room.

I stayed in the NICU as long as visiting times alotted, in between I walked the hospital. I couldn't sleep, even after getting news that he was progressing and doing well. The 3rd day he was doing so well he was breathing room air, regulating his body temperature, eating, and voiding normally. His X-rays kept coming back with good news. The last night they brought him to my room at 7pm and I stayed up just admiring him, looking over my little boy and finally getting to know him.

Now that we're home I can't help but feel overly protective of him and his big brother. The NICU experience put a lot of things into perspective for me, made me really think about life. It made me realize that I'm one of the lucky ones who got to take her baby home when so many have the heartache of leaving their's behind. I'm so thankful to have him home and healthy.

Jaxon Leshaun
January 28th, 2012
10:12am
8lbs 4oz
19 1/2 in long

41 weeks and 1 day (at the hospital)

Just born (you can see all the fluid on him)

You can see some of the cord blood that spilled

Holding him for the first time

Visiting in the NICU

At home with Daddy

Avian holding "His baby" for the first time

Sleeping

With Mommy

My 3 favorite boys!

February 7th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Super Mommy
OMG, I can understand why you struggled to write this. First, I'm glad he's okay. Second, I'd be FURIOUS at the hospital staff, and especially the doctor. Holy crap.

We're team BLUE!!!!!!

February 11th, 2012, 03:02 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
wow, who doesn't allow ice??? i've eaten tacos in L&D and while my dr./nurses were really unhappy with me, they didn't dare have the nerve to take them away from me!!

congratulations, mama! how great that you've got a video. he's gorgeous. i'm soo glad to hear he's home and healthy, now.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

February 12th, 2012, 04:26 PM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
He is just gorgeous and perfect hun. That had to be a tough few days but I am so happy for you that he recovered quickly. I can not believe that ob what a friggin jerk and the nurse cutting the cord over him baffles me. Congrats on doing it naturally I agree that it is very empowering.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search