***Weekly breastfeeding check in!***

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2012, 10:13 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BF moms, how's it going this week? Any improvements or setbacks? BF is TOUGH, so I think the more we can support one another, the better off we will be!

For me, Cody's latch is improving so that is good. Honestly, I think what helps most is that his mouth is getting bigger. Now, I only have to use the nipple shield about half the time. He also gained 12 oz. in the last two weeks, so that is good news.

Anyone want to share how it's going?

February 7th, 2012, 10:21 AM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great!! She is such an efficient eater overnight. Lots of big gulps and less spitting up. She still likes to juat suck without wanting to eat, we are working on that with as little pacifier use as possible
February 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM
boots&bowtie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to boots&bowtie
It's going pretty good. Although the past handful of days he's gotten into the habit of not opening his mouth open very wide so it takes us a little longer to get him latched. I dunno what that's all about.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my awesome siggie!

February 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Woot for only half time shield using!

Flynn's latch is improving. He doesn't mess with me as long as he used to and he also sometimes latches on right away now. I still have some nipple pain some times but that is a pumping problem and not a latch problem.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
February 7th, 2012, 01:21 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
We're still supplementing here but he's nursing much more frequently. His latch is wonderful on both breasts now! Yesterday he only had formula twice which is a gigantic step for us!!!

February 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
Today marks our 1 week of EBFing (no bottles whatsoever). Carson is doing amazing. I ate oatmeal because i thought my supply was still low. Now i have to pump to make sure I dont get engorged but thats ok because Id love to build a back up supply. We are still using the shield which is a PITA but as long as he is bfing thats all that matters.
February 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
Douglas and I are still doing great. I introduced a pacifier and bottle of pumped milk over the weekend and he did great with both. I want him to be able to take a bottle so that I can take a part time job at a cheese shop (just one day a week for 4-5 hours), and I'd prefer him to take a pacifier sometimes rather than making himself puke from overeating all the time. I was worried that it might interfere with our breastfeeding relationship, but so far there haven't been any issues with that.

So I guess the only real issue is that once in a while he seems to enjoy latching on, sucking for a minute, and then suddenly pulling off so that milk sprays everywhere! Little jerk.
~SarahDid~ likes this.

February 7th, 2012, 02:02 PM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Juliet takes a bottle from me but not Paul, i think I ought to make a post for tips
February 7th, 2012, 02:22 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Her latch is now so much better but now we have another issue and its her puking..everytime she eats she pukes it right back up from the acid reflux/gerd. hopefully she can settle down and we can get to normal good feedings.
February 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah
Things are going well here. I introduced a pacifier at night over the weekend and I've noticed right after using the paci he doesn't want to open his mouth as wide. So I need to have some patience at night so I don't let him latch badly. ouch

February 7th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Super Mommy
It's going really well, but this is my 5th time around! I am actually having a problem with too much milk- foremilk really. Owen's poop has been green and frothy because he is not getting enough fatty hindmilk because he is filling up on an overabundance of foremilk. I am pumping off some foremilk, feeding him, then pumping to add some hindmilk to balance it with the foremilk I pumped- if that makes sense.
Wife to Jerry and mom to Drew (18), Hannah (15), Luke (8), Grace (4), Owen (just turned 2), and expecting Baby #6 in August 2014
February 7th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Chellie's Avatar Veteran
I feel like I constantly have a baby hanging off my boobs, so I figure it's going well.
We're still using the shield most of the time. My nipples are just too flat unless he's energetic enough to really get a deep latch and keep latched on. Sometimes he manages, sometimes not. We're just - pardon the pun - going with the flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilesAreContagious View Post
I ate oatmeal because i thought my supply was still low. Now i have to pump to make sure I dont get engorged but thats ok because Id love to build a back up supply.
Does oatmeal really work?? I want to have a "stash" built up but Alexander eats so often during the day lately that I haven't had much luck with any extra to pump!

February 7th, 2012, 04:03 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It has been going well. I am not sure of his weight gain, but he has plenty of messy diapers, so that is all that matters. He peed during our photo shoot and it was clear, so he is getting plenty.

I started pumping. Um, about 4 days ago I think. I have about 14 ounces, I thought it was 10, but I just counted and it is 14. I would love to have 100 ounces when I go back to work, but I don't think I will get there.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 7th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He is eating a lot So all is good in that area.

Now, sleeping is hole different story
February 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Going well I think

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!
February 7th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Overjoyed-new-mommy's Avatar Elisha
Going great here...although I feel like she has been eating more often this week! Growth spurt maybe?? She sometimes gets lazy and doesn't open her mouth very wide but generally latches well. I still have occasional pain but it is so much better than the first week!!

We have given her a bottle a couple times and it has gone great! She is a little piggy! Unfortunately she does not like the pacifier...we have tried 3 different kinds. She knows within a matter of seconds that it isn't giving her what she really wants then she screams her little head off I think it would help her settle better at night, she sleeps so lightly and still makes so much noise...we do not sleep much in our house!

February 7th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's going pretty well.. must be on a growing spurt cause he wants to nurse all the time!

i haven't gotten brave enough to nurse in public so I do give him the ocassional bottle. LUcky he can go from breast to paci to bottle with no problems.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
February 7th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
going well for us. we had had a few small issues but nothing major. She is a comfort nurser and was over eating because my breasts apparently never empty. She would vomit after comfort nursing because she was just getting too much. We started using the pacifier to help with this and its really helped.

her latch is not the best but its no causing major problems. I still have soreness when she first latches and they are very sensitive at all times. She doesnt like to open her mouth wide enough which is our biggest problem with latch.

she is definitely getting enough milk though. She was 7lbs 12oz at birth and at her 1 month check up she was 10lbs 3oz.
NutMeg76 likes this.
DD born 1/3/12

February 8th, 2012, 10:06 PM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
It is going great here. We were having some issues wit ha foremilk/hindmilk imbalance caused by an oversupply after she slept 7 hours for one night but it has solved itself and things are back to normal now. She definitely knows the boobies are hers because whenever I hold her she put her arms around them and hugs them even if she isnt hungry. lol
NutMeg76 likes this.
February 8th, 2012, 10:27 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
It was going awesome up until a couple of days ago. All of a sudden my left boob starting KILLING me. It felt like someone was stabbing me whenever one of the kids even brushed it. Obviously a plugged duct. I have done the hot shower thing, the combing towards the nipple, warm compresses, having Mallory nurse, pointing her chin towards the clot and massages to get it going. So far only low grade fever and it seems to be getting better. I will keep an eye on it until I am sure it is clear because I do not want to get mastitis!

Before this all was perfect! She is an efficient, fast, good latch nurser. Of course, this is my 3rd nursling, of which I have nursed for 3.5 years of the the last 4. Her being a good nurser and my experience have made for an awesome nursing experience that is allowing me to actually ENJOY breastfeeding. Something I have never felt!!
NutMeg76 likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search