Calling all moms who use pacifiers!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2012, 03:51 PM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
How long did you wait before introducing a pacifier, and why?
What kind of pacifier do you use, and why?
Is there any brand/type of pacifier that you really don't like?

I just introduced Douglas to the paci this past weekend on his 3 week birthday, and he seems to like it ok. I love that he likes it, since he is a major comfort nurser, and my poor boobs were really getting a workout! However, he seems to have a bit of trouble with it sometimes - it's quite large and bulbous, and he gags on it occasionally. The package said "0-3 month" size, so I wonder if perhaps he just has a sensitive gag reflex? Or perhaps it's not the right shape for him? I saw some for sale the other day (Dr Browns and a couple of other brands) that looked a lot smaller. In particular, the Dr Browns was a lot thinner than the one we have, which I think might be worth a try.

February 7th, 2012, 03:53 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We just introduced it too, but he doesn't use it very long. He gags sometimes too

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 7th, 2012, 04:13 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cody will NOT take a pacifier for whatever reason. He has, however, discovered his fingers which might be more problematic seeing as how you can't take fingers away from a kid like you can a pacifier! D'oh!

February 7th, 2012, 04:45 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Flynn was given one in the hospital but he wasn't really a fan. He takes one now some times and it is a trick getting him to take it. He gags sometimes too.

We use the soothies.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
February 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM
glitterific's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. She got it in the hospital but we didn't use it much until this week (she's now 5 weeks old).. her comfort nursing was just becoming too much for me

2. she only likes the soothies right now

3. can't really answer that
February 7th, 2012, 06:08 PM
~*~Tracy~*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Matt will occasionally take one, just the gumdrop one for newborns.

Tracy, Mom to 4 wonderful boys!!
February 7th, 2012, 06:44 PM
~SarahDid~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~SarahDid~
Jax was given one in the NICU to help stimulate his sucking reflex since he wasn't allowed to eat at first.

I'm not sure of the brand, but it's green with a smiley face and he still uses it when he wants to comfort nurse.

I can't answer the last question because this is my first real experience with a pacifier.

February 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Not long at all. We were still in the hospital when I gave it to her, but I was not BFing so I was not worried about it interfering with that. We use Soothie paci's because it is the kind she prefers. We sometimes use Nuks too.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
February 7th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
she was about 3 weeks old when we first gave it to her. I was not planning to use one, i really dont like them. She is a comfort nurser and it seems that i just keep producing milk and she was over eating and vomiting from it. We ended up giving her the pacifier to see if it would help and it really did.

MAM....i really dont know anything about pacifiers. Some friends sent us a gift package for the baby and there was a 2pk of MAM pacifiers in there and that is what we tried. We havent bought any new ones yet.

no, we only tried the one brand and she seems to like it so we'll probably just stick with them
DD born 1/3/12

February 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long did you wait before introducing a pacifier, and why? Joseph received a pacifier on the second day. He just likes to suck and was comfort nursing almost constantly.

What kind of pacifier do you use, and why? We use Nuk newborn pacifiers as they work really well for him. He is able to hang onto it without a lot of trouble.

Is there any brand/type of pacifier that you really don't like? He started off with a Soothie, however it caused a really bad rash on his chin and around his lips. We also realized once we switched him to the Nuk pacis that he had been having a really hard time hanging onto the Soothie. I think because of the size of it.

Btw, I'm thrilled to see so many people using pacifiers! Not only can they be a life saver, but they are actually very beneficial. Non-nutritive sucking helps with healthy brain development.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
February 7th, 2012, 10:52 PM
MamaSugarplump's Avatar Jordan
How long did you wait before introducing a pacifier, and why? I really didn't know what I was going to do as far as a paci went but when the nurse at the hospital brought Addison to me in the hospital she brought her with a Soothie paci in her mouth, and she was going at it!

What kind of pacifier do you use, and why? I have the Nuk, Mam, and Avent paci's that I received as gifts and the Soothie from the hospital. I've tried all of them and Addison doesn't seem to care, as long as she has one. I seem to pick the Nuk for her most of the time, but don't really know why.

I have Carter's but the nipple part of it is all hard and it makes marks on her face so I quickly threw it out.
February 8th, 2012, 12:11 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
They started Tyler in the hospital to get her used to sucking. She uses a gumdrop paci.
February 8th, 2012, 08:03 AM
AnnaandRyansMommy's Avatar Sarah

I introduced it around 2.5 weeks. I'm planning to just use it at night. I really didn't like paci's and never used one with Anna. I didn't know how much they can reduce the risk of SIDS. I think ~Anna~ posted about it a while ago. I'd rather him not use it during the day, but I am encouraging it at night while he sleeps.

I'm using a nuk just because thats what someone gave us. Sometimes he has a hard time holding it in. I might try another brand.

#3- only used one brand

February 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Overjoyed-new-mommy's Avatar Elisha
Rilyn will not use the pacifier for long...we have Avent soothies and i have tried some other nipple shapes with Avent but she quickly figures out that it is not giving her what she really wants and spits it out, followed by a screaming tantrum I would like her to like it just for more comfort at night but I guess it is up to her to decide...hopefully she will come around!

February 8th, 2012, 10:47 AM
MarinaAndCharlie'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long did you wait before introducing a pacifier, and why? I didn't plan on using one. Marina only used one a handful of times. Charlie, was doing a lot of non-nutritive sucking and my nipples were cracked, bleeding and had developed fissures. I offered it to help me heal, and the LC said a paci for him was okay for that reason. Charlie still uses it often when my nipples get tired of the constant sucking.
What kind of pacifier do you use, and why? Soothie, because the NUKS seemed to mess with his suck and with the Soothie his mouth has a similar shape to how he sucks when nursing.
Is there any brand/type of pacifier that you really don't like? We only tried the NUKs and Soothie and I did not like the NUKs.

February 8th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Super Mommy
We introduced the paci from day one. The comfort BFing was awful, my nipples were so sore. She takes it quite well. Switching from BFing to the paci to bottles, no problem! We only use Nuk, DS took them well, and now DD does, too!

February 8th, 2012, 11:14 AM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use the gumdrop paci that we got in the hospital, and just ordered more from their website. It was given to him on Day 2, but I would have waited until a few weeks if the nurse hadn't given it to him during his hearing test.

He likes it occasionally.
February 8th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Soothies from day one.

And it doesn't interfere with his nursing.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
February 9th, 2012, 08:52 AM
SarahMc's Avatar Super Mommy
After reading this thread, and after lots of battles to get her to sleep without comfort nursing and the constant pacing and screaming that goes with it [often ending in me giving up and letting her comfort nurse], we FINALLY introduced a pacifier (she's 3 weeks old today).

And, my goodness, it worked like a magic charm. She didn't even slightly protest at the lack of milk. For all my reservations about giving her one, she obviously needs to suck for comfort and if this is what it takes to keep us sane and allow her to sleep, then so be it.

Thanks, ladies, for the above posts. It really put a lot of my concerns to rest.

February 9th, 2012, 09:15 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynb View Post
I use the gumdrop paci that we got in the hospital, and just ordered more from their website. It was given to him on Day 2, but I would have waited until a few weeks if the nurse hadn't given it to him during his hearing test.

He likes it occasionally.
When the lady who did Joseph's hearing test came into the room I thought she was going to cry she was so happy that we were allowing him a pacifier. She said the test goes so much better with a paci. Who would have thought??

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search