Interesting parenting...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2012, 05:18 AM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
A friend of mine posted this on FB and I thought it was interesting.

All of us are going to have to deal with our kids growing up, becoming rebellious, and having technology at their fingertips.

This dad, who works in IT, caught his 15 year old complaining about him, his wife, and his ex wife over FB in the past and grounded her. Apparently, that didn't sink in and she did it again. So, he made a video and posted it on her wall. You may want to skip ahead in the video to 6:14 to see what he does at the end as punishment.

*warning* there is adult language in this video.

So, what do you think? Too harsh? Good for him?

February 10th, 2012, 07:57 AM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll have to watch this later when my kids aren't around...just in case.
February 10th, 2012, 08:24 AM
MamaSugarplump's Avatar Jordan
haha! Good for him! I'm not sure that I would have SHOT it but I think he definitely should have sold it and gotten some money from it and definitely taken it away. She sounds like such a spoiled brat!
NutMeg76 likes this.
February 10th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Desiree McD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't check it yet, but I have a feeling I may have done the same.

We've already had to chat with DSD about complaining that her father was making her cry over text to a friend (we see EVERYTHING that goes on in her phone). I pointed out to her simply that I hoped she told her friend the WHOLE STORY (about her nearly failing 4th grade and not giving two hoots about her school work or her chores) and how we were trying to talk her through it and she ended up crying.

I understand teens need an outlet, but they have to have a little respect for their family too.
NutMeg76 likes this.

Thank you, .:Shortcake:.!!

Facebook
February 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
That was FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I am glad he shot it since he said he would he HAD to follow through.

Why do kids think we are so dumb?
NutMeg76, swippy and Desiree McD like this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
February 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Kids need to know that parents are serious, she obviously didn't believe him and he had to follow through. I think it was great.

I went to his FB page and read a few comments and a Psychologist said "Fifteen year olds don’t have the social maturity to know what the consequence might be."

Umm...pretty sure by 15 they know about choices and consequences, that's why she blocked the post so her Dad couldn't see it. She KNEW their would be a consequence if she got caught and believed she was smart enough to hide it.

P.S. It was the dog who tattled. Apparently as an inside joke they made their dog a FB page and the daughter is friends with the dog, but didn't add the dog to her Family list-which is the one she blocked. Dad logged on as the dog and there was the post right in front of his face. LOL
NutMeg76, swade66 and everafter like this.

Last edited by cynb; February 10th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
February 10th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I hope no one pays that pshychologist! By 15 she knew EXACTLY what she was doing. My freaking four year old knows about choices and consequences...what a quack.
NutMeg76 and cynb like this.

February 10th, 2012, 10:39 AM
mcfly's Avatar Lil' Old Lady In Training
That was great! I support him 100%, and I bet she learned a lesson there.

February 10th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I was on the fence, but only for one reason. I am not a fan of guns. I would have liked it better if he had taken the laptop, waited for the garbage men, and then gave it to one of them and filmed that, or threw it in the garbage compactor himself when the truck came by. But, that's my personal preference towards guns, and I know not everyone feels the same.

I am glad he followed through and got rid of the computer, and told her that in order for her to get another one SHE had to pay for it. I think that was great.

February 10th, 2012, 11:23 AM
My feeling on the gun is that he said "If it happens again, I'll put a bullet through it." He called his wife and asked her to talk him out of it, but after he read her the post, she said, "Put one in it for me." So, I feel like he needed to follow through on his threat. I also think a good rule of parenting is to never threaten something you won't want to follow through on later. This would probably be one of those moments.

I got this from the comments on his page.

I don't have a feeling about guns, except that I don't want one in my house. Too many bad scenarios play through my mind with the thought of owning a gun and having all these little boys (and their friends) in the house.
swade66 and mcfly like this.
February 10th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Chellie's Avatar Veteran
Speaking as a gun owner.... over the top and beyond irresponsible.

You do NOT use a gun to prove a point to a rebellious teen. Throw the laptop away, smash it with a hammer, sell it on eBay: fine.
Shoot it? Oh hell no.
Guns are for self defense, hunting, recreational target practice, and so on. They're not to be used as part of a punishment for your kids and they should never be used in anger!

Way to teach the kid responsible firearm handling by example, dude.

February 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post

You do NOT use a gun to prove a point to a rebellious teen. Throw the laptop away, smash it with a hammer, sell it on eBay: fine.
Shoot it? Oh hell no.
Guns are for self defense, hunting, recreational target practice, and so on. They're not to be used as part of a punishment for your kids and they should never be used in anger!

Also speaking as a gun owner...I have zero issue with what he did. This wasn't a split second irrational thing and sure he was angry but he was rational and calm at the time of the shooting.

How was that irresponsible shooting? He hit his target and no unintentional harm was done.
NutMeg76 and BobbityBoo like this.

February 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post

Shoot it? Oh hell no.

I am actually glad you said this. While I realized he was following through, I was not comfortable with the use of the gun to teach a lesson. It seemed almost too violent, if that makes sense.

February 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestMamma View Post
I am actually glad you said this. While I realized he was following through, I was not comfortable with the use of the gun to teach a lesson. It seemed almost too violent, if that makes sense.
I can see what you guys are getting at. I would be more on board with your train of thought if he had snatched up her, the laptop and the gun and marched them outside then shot it in front of her while yelling. That would have made me very afraid to watch. However, being in a controlled environment and obviously he was in check of his emotions I didn't feel nervous watching it.
NutMeg76 likes this.

February 10th, 2012, 12:09 PM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
I dont like guns either, but that was ******* awesome. I seriously lol'd! I am the type of person that would also put a boot up my kids butt, as well as dh. There was nothing harsh about that lol. You do the crime, you do the time kid

I was actually hoping he was going to take a sledge hammer to it

<3

<3
February 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swade66 View Post
I can see what you guys are getting at. I would be more on board with your train of thought if he had snatched up her, the laptop and the gun and marched them outside then shot it in front of her while yelling. That would have made me very afraid to watch. However, being in a controlled environment and obviously he was in check of his emotions I didn't feel nervous watching it.

Well, to take it a step further, would it be ok for the 16 year old to get mad and take that same gun to her dad's vehicle? I guess it's the point where the father is modeling behavior that he would find acceptable, and when you model behavior like that for an irrational teen, it may backfire. Make sense?
Chellie likes this.

February 10th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I see what you are saying and no that would not be okay.

However there are a lot of things I do that it would NOT be okay for my kid to do and they will know that.

February 10th, 2012, 12:30 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think taking a sledge hammer would be a more violent act than shooting it.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 10th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Well, I said to throw it in the garbage truck yourself or give it to the garbage guys and let them have it. To me, that's something I would do now if my kids acted up badly enough- get rid of a toy.
NutMeg76 and cynb like this.

February 10th, 2012, 01:12 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would hve sold it personally.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search