So how do you feel about....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By YumPickles
  • 2 Post By amazing_love

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2012, 06:23 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
people "looking" for your bump once they know you're pregnant? Do you ever feel like you're under a microscope? I had one friend with my last pregnancy who would see me a few times a weeks, and I swear, every single time she saw me, she'd say "Oh, you're getting bigger!!!" And this started at, like, 10weeks, when there was no change and I was not, in fact, getting bigger yet. It made me want to slap the stew out of her, LOL! I'm not one who likes to hear I'm "getting big", at least not in that manner. Does anyone like to hear that they're bigger? Just curious if I'm alone or unreasonable in this matter. I've been avoiding her this pregnancy. But, she got it back 10 fold, because she's 30wks now and has already gained about 40lbs. I doubt she'd dare say anything to me this time around. And, for the record, I have only said nice things about her and her physical appearance while pregnant. I'm a big fan of talking a mom up and making her feel beautiful while pregnant (because I think all preggos truly are). I don't mind people asking how far along I am when I'm obviously pregnant, but goodness, watch how you word yourself! If you're going to comment on how "big" a pregnant lady is, then maybe it's best to keep your mouth shut or risk it getting smacked, LOL....oh, and don't get me started about the rubbing my belly thing....that's another rant all together.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

February 14th, 2012, 06:42 PM
YumPickles's Avatar Veteran
I'm a bad person. I just want to get that out there before this story, lol.

My last pregnancy I got so fed up with it, there were a few times when strangers asked how far along I was, I would snap "I'm not pregnant!". Now in my defense it was usually only when the strangers were reaching to touch my stomach. I have a thing about personal space. The embarrassment totally made up for the violation of personal space.

Most of my family and friends live far far away, so chances are I wont have to deal with the 'your getting so big!' deal this time around.
amazing_love and GreyEyedGirl like this.

February 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM
LOL!!!! That is hilarious! Oh, to see the looks on those people's faces. I may have to try that at 35+wks just for the shock value and laugh. That doesn't make you a bad person...just putting annoying people in their place!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

February 14th, 2012, 07:41 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I don't mind being told that my belly looks bigger. I love having a big ol pregnant belly. I do, however, mind touching...no one is allowed to touch without asking...and if you're not my mom, I am thinking to myself that you're a flippin weirdo for wanting to touch.

What I never liked is the comment that my face looked pregnant. I got that with my first baby. It was true..I was pretty swollen all over (prob cuz of the pre-e and bp issues and retaining water).....but seriously...I didn't need to be told that my face looked fat. Never got the comment with my second though because I did not swell up.

February 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
People always told me that I was to small. It irritated me because they said it like I wasn't gaining enough weight. I eat like crazy when I am pregnant, but I don't gain a ton of weight. My first I gained 14 lbs. My second and third I gained 16. I don't let anyone but my kids or dh touch my belly when I am pregnant. I don't like people touching me at all, so if a stranger even thinks about touching me they get put in their place quickly. Our family we don't see very often, so I don't have to deal with them touching me.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

February 15th, 2012, 05:18 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am terrified of random people coming up to touch my belly because I might punch them. Seriously, it's rude, it's uncalled for, and how would you like it if I went around grabbing your "junk" just because it's there????

I've already planned on using the "I'm not pregnant, I'm just fat" comment to rude strangers. Family members though, I don't have a problem if they go grabbing. I see all of my family enough that it really wouldn't be a big deal to me and I honestly don't think they will be messing with my personal space too much.
February 15th, 2012, 05:35 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never experienced this. I "B" shaped, and that shape doesn't really change when I am pregnant. Unless I tell people right up until I deliver, most people wouldn't know I was pregnant.

I've never had anyone other than me, and DH (if I tell him to) rub my belly. I think it is kinda sad...

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

February 15th, 2012, 06:22 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess maybe I'm not the norm, because I don't think I will mind people touching my belly! I also wouldn't really mind people looking for it, but I'm sure comments like "You're getting so big!" will be better left unsaid, haha.

February 15th, 2012, 06:24 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I am going to have an issue with people mentioning that I am bigger, because in reality I am going to be.

However, I am going to have a huge issue with people touching me. My family and my close friends, I won't mind. But if I do not know you, hands off pal. I do not like that and I hate to see it happen to other women. I have to come up with something to put folks in their place

Ashley
Ashley
February 15th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Bobb's Avatar Veteran
Next Tuesday I'll officially inform my company so I bet a lot of eyes will scan me from head to toe. I'm planning on ignoring them and maybe give short annoyed answers so that they all say "oh, she's such a bi&&ch, I'm not gonna talk to her again"

I totally freak out if I get my belly rubbed. I snapped a few times last time i was pregnant so hopefully people remember that. And if a strangers approaches me, I go in defense mode immediately, I get a "stay the &*(( away" look which I was told it's very discouraging

I also intend to get some "Please don't touch the bump' t-shirts, to make it literal!

February 15th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTiffy View Post
People always told me that I was to small. It irritated me because they said it like I wasn't gaining enough weight. I eat like crazy when I am pregnant, but I don't gain a ton of weight. My first I gained 14 lbs. My second and third I gained 16. I don't let anyone but my kids or dh touch my belly when I am pregnant. I don't like people touching me at all, so if a stranger even thinks about touching me they get put in their place quickly. Our family we don't see very often, so I don't have to deal with them touching me.
Omgoodness!!! See, I got that, too! I was told by most people that I was "too small" to be as far along as I was (I've only gained 18lbs w/all three of mine) and then there were the randoms that would tell me I'm huge. Can't please anyone, you know? Either I'm big or I'm too small? WTheck?? Sure, I don't mind making the comment that my belly's cute or my belly's growing, but don't tell me YOU are bigger, KWIM? Because I wasn't, LOL. The only place I grew was literally in my belly. Heck, I was able to wear my regular jeans throughout my entire pregnancy, LOL. I just hate the word "big". There are so many other nicer ways to word that you're belly is growing, I guess. Especially when I didn't even show until I was about 7months along with them. I felt like I was being examined, you know? Like people were looking for it. I hated that. Why would you use a word like that when so many women already feel miserable about their looks when pregnant? (I don't, but you know what I mean)

All-in-all....people just need to MTOB when it comes to pregnancy. I have been told I'm going to have too small babies because of all the running and activities I did while pregnant (and I didn't). I got told there's no way to have a healthy baby when I didn't gain "enough" weight and being on the smaller side to begin with (again not an issue). It's like everyone's a dr when you're pregnant and knows what they "right" size is and what's "right" for you...LOL...

February 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Super Mommy
I've never minded people touching my belly. My babies kicked like crazy, and i think it's cool to feel a baby kick, so most the time when people felt my belly, they got to feel a kick too. The only time i snapped at someone ( and i still feel bad about it) was at a concert 3 days before i was due with my son. This homeless guy walked up to me when we were standing in line outside, and reached out and touched my belly. I jumped back, and you could immediately tell by the look on his face that i had hurt his feelings. I told him I was sorry, he just startled me, and he said "That's okay, You look pretty." and walked away. My best friend never let me touch her belly, and i wish she would have. I would have liked to feel the baby kick. But I think people should always ask if you mind first.
February 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had an issue with strangers trying to touch my belly or even ask.. Thank goodness bc I just think that is awkward!

DH would feel my belly all the time though and he has already started randomly touching my belly lately since I'm starting to get a little pouch! and Keira is obsessed with "feeling the baby" it really makes her whole day!

When I was pg with DD we were living near all my in-laws, and my SIL's would touch my belly all the time, but we are all a pretty touchy feely family so it never bothered me one bit, lol.

And I don't remember anyone (other than myself) saying how huge I was looking lol. DH was always really good about making me feel good, he is a great pregnancy partner So lets hope that stays the same thing time around too!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

February 15th, 2012, 09:52 AM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
Being Plus size to begin with I didn't really start showing till I was 5 months. And even then it was kind of questionable because of the fluff in my mid section. I never really had to worry about Strangers touching me since the only time I really leave the house is at work and most of the strangers I see are there. But I had no problems when one of my regulars would say something or touch my stomach which still that was unlikely. Only people that would want to touch was my family and I had no problems with that.

IDK how things will be this time around but right now I have no issues if the people who know say something.

February 15th, 2012, 10:06 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My issue is having people judge my belly size. Everyone grows at such a different rate that its completely inappropriate to comment on how big or small someone is. I got the "small" comment a lot last time and realize people said it to mean a good thing but i was still uncomfortable thinking they were analyzing me. Why not just compliment a pregnant friend and say how great they look or how cute their belly is? Those are the comments I make to my friends. If they say "I'm so huge" I say "You look wonderful" I don't confirm with "Heck yeah you are!" haha. So many people are rude about it. Yesterday when we were at a playdate with our normal group of friends i commented on how i think strangers think i'm chubby and don't realize i'm pregnant yet. They all confirmed that they noticed my belly is starting to show but nothing offensive. I dislike being in this chubby phase but have decided not to hide it this time around. I'm going to embrace every stage of the pregnancy. I know no one in their right mind would be brave enough to ask if i am yet since many people have a belly but are not actually preggo.
momma_d and RunningMommyTo5 like this.

February 15th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Sherry777's Avatar Blessed Mommy
I don't want to hear I'm getting bigger. Thankfully, no one has done that. Mostly, they are looking at my ginormous boobs anyway.

Last edited by Sherry777; February 15th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
February 15th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Super Mommy
I know exactly what your talking about and it drives me crazy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search