Question for moms who have had tubal ligation

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bridgett_H

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2012, 11:21 AM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm due in March and planning on having a tubal ligation during my c-section. However a friend of mine had me look up post tubal ligation syndrome and it affects on milk supply. Now I'm worried that if I have this done it will affect my chances of succesfully breastfeeding .
Has anyone here on this board had the procedure done. What are your thoughts/experiences.

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

February 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have not had it for a variety of reasons and post tubal syndrome is one of them. My mom had a tubal and about a year later started having really bad bleeding with her periods. It progressed to weeks of bleeding and they thought she had cancer. She had a hysterectomy at 45 (she had the tubal at 38 during her c-section). It turned out she did not have cancer, but it caused a lot of problems for her.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This isn't really about milk supply, but thought I'd share. I had my tubes tied after my oldest daughter. In 2009 when she was 14 years old I had it reversed when I got remarried. I had horrible problems with my periods the whole time my tubes were tied. At one point when I was about 25, a doctor had even told me that he felt I needed surgery. I was finally able to even my periods out a bit by using birth control pills, but I still had terrible cramps, and my periods were really heavy. I also had problems with depression, and near violent mood swings during times of PMS.
The relief was pretty much instant as soon as I had my reversal. I have not had any of the problems I had before, and i went from having a really heavy period for 7 days or more, to having pretty light to normal ones for about 4 days usually.
We are still on the fence about having any more kids, but there is no way I would do that again. My mom had the same problems after having a tubal when she had me, and another sister had the same thing. Out of the three sisters, only one never did it, and she's the only one that's never had female problems.
I just always feel like when someone mentions this, I should share my story, because it was seriously awful. Some doctors will tell you post tubal ligation syndrome is bull, but I swear it's not.
Good luck to you in whatever you choose.
NutMeg76 likes this.
February 19th, 2012, 06:35 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
I have not had one but I actually had a pre-op appointment booked before I became pregnant with my DD. The surgeon actually recommended an IUD instead because she said that many woman who have a tubal end up returning to her within 6 months with issues with their periods and she ends up placing an IUD to help with that so why do both? For that reason I have opted not to bother with a tubal and am hoping that as DD gets older dh whill become more comfortable with the idea of a vasectemy which carries far less risks and possible side effects.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search