Breast Feeding Advice

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BoobyDutyAgainJen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Super Mommy
Calling all bfing gurus!! My LO is nursing well through out the day, about every 2-3 hrs and then going 5-6 hours at night....she have more than 6 heavy wets, is alert for periods of the day, no jaundice what so ever....I do supplement an oz or 2 of formula when she seems hungry after a marathon nursing session.....my problem is that she doesn't poop...she was born on the the 7th and had many poops in hosp, then last sat she pooped then not again until wed. On wed she went 2 HUGE blow out poops and one smaller one then not again until friday and now hasnt pooped since....I know thats ok for an infant after 6-8weeks, but a newborn breast fed, should be pooping many times a day.....

Anyone else have this issue/ or know anything else about this??? I know she is having many wets, but I also know that a dehydrated baby will still have wets...but not poop....she looks well is alert and has wet mucous membranes and tears when she cries......i am at a loss....When she pulls off the breast she has milk pouring out of her mouth, so i know I have some.... The doc was not too concerned, but the lactation consultant is....today LO has only taken 1 oz for supplement and has refused one at the last feed. I am going up to work tomorrow to do a test weight for a feed, (on labour & delivery) just to see what we get....

Any advice???

February 19th, 2012, 06:09 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Totally and completely normal!!! Sounds like she is doing awesome and is perfectly ok. Leila was the exact same way when she was a baby. She eventually spread out her poops to once a week or so. Could be a couple less days or could be as much as 9 days between feeds.

A hungry baby will let you know. She will either cry and cry or she will be super lethargic and hard to rouse. Sounds like you have great breastmilk that her system is getting every ounce of nutrition out of before passing it. Keep it up!!
Chellie likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

February 19th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds normal to me too! Our old ped said that it was normal for BF babies to go several days without a poop. Consider yourself lucky! Haidon was a multi times a day pooper and so is Thatcher so far!

February 19th, 2012, 09:20 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
Completely normal! Breastmilk is so easily digested that there is little waste.(if any at all). Sounds like she is absorbing all the breastmilk and has very little waste. If she is super fussy and acts like she needs to go but is having a hard time then id be concerned. Youre doing a great job!
February 19th, 2012, 09:49 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A newborn breast fed baby should still be pooping more frequently. I would think it is possible the formula is making her constipated.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 22nd, 2012, 09:29 AM
Super Mommy
lurking here from april DDC...

I think it is pretty normal, my son was about a once a week pooper for a while - but that was when he was a bit older. If she seems full - i.e. pulling away with milk still coming out, etc I think she's prob not dehydrated or not getting enough milk. I almost would say that if it is constipation, it maybe the formula that could be causing her to be a bit constipated. Does it seem like a normal consistancy when she does go?

When I was concerned about this for my DS my dr said that as long it was smooshy poo and it didn't seem to strain to go then it was fine. DS was also gaining wieght too. I would maybe just see if you could go in for a weight check with your dr. it might help ease your mind.
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)
February 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
Super Mommy
Yes that is why I'm a little concerned.......a newborn should jave at least 4-6 dirty diapers a day....it is normal for an infant to go many days between poops but thats after 4-6 weeks. She has not had any formula since sunday, sh has only had breast milk. Her poops when she does go is appropriate looking, not pellets, not dry or peanut butter consistancy....its runny and yellow. She is still passing gas.....I have the lactation consultant totally stumped. She watched me nurse her and saw how much she was swallowing and how much milk I had and my supply is clearly not the problem anymore....

February 23rd, 2012, 01:11 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I gusss if she is wetting enough and gaining weight appropriately then it is okay. Getting her checked by the LC makes me feel a little better about it.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
February 24th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Super Mommy
I would say that it sounds like that's just her normal then. some ppl just don't poop as much. it could be that she's between growth spurts so she is eating a bit less to be full and therefore pooping less too. Just keep an eye on it, but try not to worry!
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)
February 24th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Crystal_Lynn's Avatar Ari and Zev's Mommy
My little guy is the same way. Our pedi said just as the others have, they are using everything in the BM so there is little to no waste.

.My Pregnancy Blog.Last update: 01.05.12.

Some babies are born to soon and/or too sick. Arm yourself with knowledge, visit marchofdimes.com!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search