Inexpensive carseat recommendations

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChattyAshley

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2012, 03:33 PM
ChattyAshley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This will be the first carseat we've bought (with Topher we used my sister-in-law's). I want something safe, but doesn't have to have all the fancy bells & whistles, just a basic (hopefully inexpensive) one. Any ideas?

Thanks to Babydoll213 for my cute siggy!
February 23rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
cavewoman's Avatar our miracle is here!! <3
I can't speak on how well I like it yet but we had MIL get us the graco my ride 65.. it was on sale on Target for $110 instead of $150 a few weeks ago.. I would keep an eye out for random sales on ones! I wanted a convertible one so we wouldn't have to turn around and buy a bigger one in just a short time.

ask me about doTERRA essential oils!

February 23rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've always liked the Graco infant seats. Mine use them for about a year and it makes it so much easier to deal with a sleeping baby, especially when you just have to run into a store for a few minutes. That's the reason we don't start with a convertible seat. That and the fact I can only imagine how much extra room there would be in those seats.

February 23rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought a learning curve true fit for $130 with free shipping a few weeks ago. It's a great convertible seat that fits newborns well and goes up to 65lbs. You could go with a Cosco Scenera for around $60. It's a convertible that goes from 5-65 lbs. The Graco Myride is supposed to be a good convertible for newborns but it's pretty reclined when you forward face it. Thats why we went with the true fit instead of the myride. GL picking a seat!!

=May '05 and '11

February 24th, 2012, 03:49 AM
just_em's Avatar TANSTAAFL!
You may find some useful information here: Recommended Carseats

Poke around the site a little; there's TONS of good info there and reviews on different seats, etc.

We use a convertible and got a TrueFit for the new baby; it's pretty basic but has lots of safety features and it's rated well for newborns. Our first has been in a Britax since birth; it was a little pricier but we found a great deal on clearance and have been quite happy with it.

Long story short - shop your heart out! Most of the manufacturers put their 'last year's model' on clearance when they have a new product, and there's not a thing wrong with them - they just have new goodies to sell. I know a lot of BRU stores (not my favorite place, but a deal is a deal) have carseats on clearance pretty regularly, too.

February 24th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Check out the car seat board here on JM! They are really helpful. They will ask questions like: do you want an infant seat or convertible from the start? Some convertibles do NOT fit newborns. What seat is your son in? Will the seats be side by side or both outboard? What do you drive? What's your budget? etc. They will narrow down the best seats for your preferences and you go from there.

February 24th, 2012, 06:16 AM
SAHM_To_2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you aren't overly concerned about being able to keep LO in the infant car seat for most of the first year I suggest the

Baby Trend Flex Loc car seat. It's $159.99 and goes on for $89.99 frequently.
I didn't like 2010's model( a friend has it) but they fixed their mistakes in 2011 and 2012 models.

Our 2009 model which we sold right after we were done, was good. we liked it.
WE bought another one this time but we found one brand new still in the sealed box, tags attached for $40.

It's obviously compliant, safe and lightweight. I find it fits nicely in so many strollers and the snap and go's.
February 24th, 2012, 06:24 AM
adi&co.
All carseats are the same as far as safety ratings go so don't worry about that. If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, you'll want to get a convertible carseat. Safety 1st makes one that fit well rear facing in cars (at least it did in mine when I had Marcus).
February 24th, 2012, 08:28 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewoman View Post
I can't speak on how well I like it yet but we had MIL get us the graco my ride 65.. it was on sale on Target for $110 instead of $150 a few weeks ago.. I would keep an eye out for random sales on ones! I wanted a convertible one so we wouldn't have to turn around and buy a bigger one in just a short time.

My 20 mos old has the Graco MyRide 65 and we LOVE IT. And he's a big boy and still riding in it. Relatively inexpensive and lasts awhile!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

February 24th, 2012, 07:41 PM
ChattyAshley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info, ladies! I'm doing my homework and looking for good deals!
Shadeauxe likes this.

Thanks to Babydoll213 for my cute siggy!
August 5th, 2012, 07:09 PM
littlenoell's Avatar Love my babies.
I had Graco Snugride 35 for almost a year, it's big and very comfortable for my baby. It really shows great quality. Relatively inexpensive too !! LOVE IT.

Check this review site
Graco Snugride 35 Infant Car Seat Review
August 7th, 2012, 06:30 PM
bethysfirst1's Avatar Loving Kate
Graco my ride 65 gets great reviews. Something even less expensive is Safety first onside onside air. Less than $100 here's the review from consumersearch Safety 1st OnSide onSide Air Review

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search