Sore Abs?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2012, 02:41 AM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
Anyone else feeling like they've completed a complete ab workout? I'm also on crutches, so that may be the culprit, but I'm so sore and tender!
February 25th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My abs feel sore like when I do sit ups
February 25th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Durango14's Avatar ♥ Expecting #2 ♥
I wish had some soreness! I just feel bloated, blaaa. It's weird, though, because I've lost a couple pounds since my BFP (I'm guessing it's because I'm not having the extra calories from wine or cocktails)

February 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup. Abs are killing me too! And boobs are swollen, and Im tired as all hell.

Speaking of abdominal exercises, when do we have to stop doing them?

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
February 27th, 2012, 02:16 AM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
Abdominal Exercises to Avoid during Pregnancy

The abdominal wall is stretched taut by the last half of pregnancy and therefore cannot function efficiently during exercises that flex the upper spine, (exercises like crunches) against the force of gravity. Most traditional abdominal exercises such as crunches and oblique twists, either on the floor or on an apparatus, such as a large exercise ball, as well as Pilates mat exercises that flex the upper spine, should not be performed once the belly has expanded to the point where functioning is reduced. For some women, this could occur as early as the fourth month, particularly if they have had previous pregnancies.
Pregnancy Exercise: Safe Abdominal Exercises during Pregnancy

Some abdominal exercises can be performed safely throughout pregnancy. Most transverse abdominis isolation exercises (either side-lying, standing, or seated) are extremely beneficial and should be included in every workout session. Pelvic Tilt exercises that isolate and flex the lower spine (either standing, against a wall or seated on a large exercise ball) are also valuable to perform on a regular basis throughout your pregnancy. Below are two of my favorite abdominal exercises for pregnant women. Both use a wall to enhance postural awareness.
Two Safe and Effective Abdominal Exercises for Pregnancy

transverse abdominis Isolations against a Wall
Pelvic Tilts against a Wall

Transverse Abdominis Isolations on a Wall

Stand about one foot away from the wall, with your feet positioned hip distance apart, toes facing forward and your knees slightly bent.
Using your hands for support, lean your torso back onto the wall.
Align your spine in the neutral position, vertical pelvis, sacrum, ribcage and the back of your head touching the wall. Make sure to have a small gap between your waist and the wall.
Inhale deeply through your nose, expanding your ribcage three dimensionally.
Exhale slowly, hissing through your teeth. At the same time, pull your belly inward as much as you can. Maintain neutral spine—don't try to flatten your back, or allow the sternum to move downward.
Hold your belly in as you inhale deeply through the nose, once again expanding your ribcage three dimensionally.
Repeat the exhale/hissing with abdominal compression sequence two more times. Make sure to keep your belly tight during inhalations.
After the third repetition, exhale deeply, release your muscular effort and allow your belly to expand naturally. Take care not to push your belly out at the end.
Perform four repetitions.

This exercise should not be a challenge for your thighs. If your legs get tired, move your heels a little closer to the wall.
Pelvic Tilt Exercise on a Wall

Perform the first six steps (1–5) of the transverse abdominis Isolations on a Wall.
On your second exhalation, flex your lower spine, pulling your pubic bone up toward your sternum as much as you can. Your lower back will lengthen and press into the wall. Make sure not to move your upper spine. Keep the back of the neck long.
Take care that your buttocks stay soft. Use of the buttocks during pelvic tilts dramatically reduces the effectiveness of the exercise. If you are in the habit of tightening your buttocks during pelvic tilts, place your hands on the muscles as you perform the pelvic tilt to help learn the proper muscular coordination.
Inhale deeply, expanding your ribcage while maintaining the tightness of the abdominals.
Exhale; relax your muscular effort, allowing your pelvis to roll back into the neutral position and your belly to expand naturally.
Perform eight repetitions.

I found that on a site called BeFit-Mom! I'm currently looking for a workout program that will be low impact. I was doing a super aerobic, high impact workout called TurboFire, but I injured my ankle a month ago and I'm still on crutches. I figured getting back into that would be too strenuous on me and baby. There is a program called Yoga Booty Ballet: Baby On the Way. I tried to find a video about the program, but was unable to. I found a video for the regular Yoga Booty Ballet. You can watch it! Here's a link. Just to forewarn people... I am a BeachBody coach, so the link will take you to my page. If you go to the shop section, you should be able to search for the baby on the way version. I think its only like $20 too. Not too shabby!

Yoga Booty Ballet

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search