Advice please!!!! help with reflux

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Veteran
I need any tips/advice.... My little munchkin has reflux. We wound up at the emergency yesterday because he was having projectile vomiting and we couldn't calm him down or get him to take much of his bottles for the past few days. Md said she was pretty sure it was reflux, that preemie's are especially prone to have it. My munchkin was born 8 wks early, so his corrected age is just over 1 week. He is so irritable, and barely sleeps because of the pain, tried burping him more often, keeping him straight up, especially after he feeds, i've cut out all dairy foods. My husband and i are exhausted, he barely sleeps (refuses to sleep on his back and doesn't like being flat on his tummy) and only calms down when he is on us. The emergency room doctor said that there was only a small chance it was a stenosis so they didn't do an ultrasound. I go to see his pediatrician on Tuesday but from know until Tuesday I'm getting pretty desperate so Im hoping any of you moms out there who have experienced this with your little ones (either preemie's or not) can offer me some advice. If your baby was on Zantac how long does it take to start working (we started it on Friday)?
March 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM
HonestMamma's Avatar Bish!
We had our 2nd on Zantac and it didn't work for her. She had to go on Previcid. I hope things get better for him soon!

March 19th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We battled reflux, too. I can say at 3 1/2 months, it's much easier now. I think it took about four days or so for the zantac to really take hold. We do 1.0 twice a day (about 12 hours apart). Dosage is based on weight.

I also eliminated dairy for quite awhile and it seemed to help - keep in mind, it takes awhile to get out of your system, but you should begin to see results soon if that is part of the issue. We had to sleep with baby on our chest for a few weeks. It was the only way anyone could sleep.

Keep in mind it's temporary, although it FEELS like it'll go on forever. Good luck at your visit tomorrow!

March 20th, 2012, 06:36 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Oh no! I am just seeing this now but wanted to say I hope things get better soon. It really isn't fair for babies to be so miserable when so little! They should be able to be happy and peaceful! Has this been ongoing since he was born or is this new?

None of mine have had reflux so I have no advice there. I hope they can find an answer today that will help you to have that happy baby everyone deserves!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

March 20th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Veteran
This has been going on for the past 3 wks... But silent reflux I noticed while he was in the NICU so altogether for about 1-2 months... but these past few weeks have been really hard... We saw md today again, and we go back next week for another follow up, she said Zantac would need at least 1 wk to take full efect and if we dont see any improvement next wk she may either increase the dose or change the meds all together... She said this usually peaks btw 3-5 months... all im thinking is that I can't go without sleep for another 3 months!!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed that he starts to feel better... and we went yesterday to buy a lazy boy so at least when he sleeps on us we can be comfy too!!! can't wait for it to arrive on Thursday...
March 20th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is hard - and while the days and nights may drag at times, the months will fly by. Good luck - hopefully the Zantac will work and the recliner will help you get some sleep.

March 22nd, 2012, 04:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My oldest had the projectile spit up & reflux. I hate to say that the only "cure" we found was time. His body finally matured enough that he got better until eventually it was no longer a problem. My doc wasn't concerned since he was still healthy & gaining weight, but my doc wasn't the person staying up. All I can say is hang in there & I hope it gets better soon!

March 27th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Veteran
Just a quick update. So Zantac has done very little for my little one we have been seing his md weekly and just saw her again this morning. She just changed his meds from Zantac to Prevacid... Hoping this works better!!
April 6th, 2012, 03:00 AM
My daughter was preemie (5 weeks) and has reflux as well (diagnosis - GERD). I had to pump and add cereal to her milk was the only thing that worked until we finally switched to AR Formula. Zantac and Prevacid did not help my daughter at all. The AR Formula works great and does not constipate her like the cereal did. Good luck!
May 18th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Veteran
Tristan is doing alot better. Not sure if its the Prevacid which we give him in the morning and night or just time. MD discussed us starting rice cereal early or AR formula which we will decide at his next apt.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search