Gender question

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
I was told that they can tell me the gender at my next appointment on April 10- I will be 17 weeks. But I was wondering how certain the identification is at that point. It seems like if it's a boy, then it's a boy and it's obvious. But if it's not a boy, are they sure it's a girl? The ultrasounds are amazing so far, but in terms of real detail I can't imagine being able to identify tiny girls parts for sure.
March 22nd, 2012, 01:05 PM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
With my daughter we found out at 17 weeks and the tech was 100%, it was very obvious. You could clearly see the three lines to indicate a girl.

And this baby we just found out at 16, again very obvious. I think anything after 16 weeks you will be able to see it pretty well. I mean sure there are some cases that they might mistake but for the most part, it seems to be accurate.
March 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If the tech is a good one i think they should be able to tell by 17 weeks.

My preference is to wait until 19 weeks because i feel then i can feel very confident. With my personality if i had it done earlier i'm sure i'd keep wondering if there was a mistake. I know people get another u/s done around 20 weeks to confirm but i'd rather just get the one. Plus we'd rather not spend the extra money.

March 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is one reason why I am not at all in a hurry and will be patient till my 20w scan. LOL

I'm afraid if there aren't prominent boy parts and they tell me girl I might believe them! LOL

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

March 22nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
It should be pretty reliable, especially if the office has one of the more modern U/S machines. The technology has advanced so much that the U/S techs, my MW and dr all say that it is definite at 16wks, and pretty clear at 15wks these days.

Of course, there's always the room for human error, especially if the tech isn't experiences, but I think at 17wks, it's going to be obvious either way.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

March 22nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
From what I have heard is that it is pretty reliable. I am going to get a early one done. I will be scheduling it at my next appointment on Monday. I will be 15 weeks tomorrow. I want to wait until the end of next week or do it sometime the following week. That way I will be 16 weeks, and they will be able to tell for sure. I don't want to wait for the anatomy scan because that isn't what they are looking for, and they wont spend a ton of time trying to look to see what it is. With the gender scan I am getting that will be all they are looking at, so they wont be as rushed to tell me what it is. I will get 10 minutes of video from it, so I know the scan will be at least 10 minutes. Besides I will still be getting the anatomy scan, so I can always have them take a peek at that time to just to get even more confirmation as to what it is.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

March 22nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
Great, I feel so much better!
March 23rd, 2012, 09:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Most of the time its accurate..but it depends on tech and how well baby is cooperating..I know a few women who were told they were having one gender and ended up with a complete surprise on D-day when they had the opposite..Mistakes happen but they are rare.

March 23rd, 2012, 11:24 AM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
with my nine year old dd they toldvme she was a girl at 15 weeks, and they were right.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

March 23rd, 2012, 11:29 AM
brandi6088's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey guys im just lurkig around =) seeing what you all are having!!! Congrats all of you! i miss talking with you all! Just my 2 cents =) My last pregnancy i found out what i was having at 13 weeks on the dot, VERY boy =) my 1st son at 12 weeks she kept calling it a him/he, but wouldnt say til 20 weeks ??? soo in my case i found out very early!!!
March 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine is April 10 at 17 weeks as well! Can't wait!

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
March 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I found out my first was a girl at 17 weeks. It was VERY clear and there was really no mistaking it!
March 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's pretty obvious at 17 weeks either way assuming the baby gives the tech a decently clear shot at the "goods". The tech can spot labia as well as she can spot a penis. The three lines are very clear, the same way any other piece of the anatomy is. If baby gives you a good look, she'll be able to tell. I'm so excited for you!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search