Matthew Jacob - Our first April baby :) 2/17/12

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JenJen3574
  • 1 Post By queenofthecastle
  • 1 Post By abwright17

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Super Mommy
As with all of my pregnancies, my blood pressure started giving me issues. I was having weekly NST's and sono's, as well as Dr. visits to monitor my pressures. The Dr. had been threatening hospital bedrest for a couple of weeks, so I wasn't looking forward to my appt. on Friday the 17th. Little did I know a routine perinatologist appt. would land my butt in the hospital. The NST went great, as did the sono, but the Dr. said my cheeks were very red and I was having head aches. So, he sent a nurse in to check my blood pressure and it was 170/90. (Now that I think about it, he is the one that admitted me to the hospital with my last pregnancy, lol) So, he told me to hang in the room while he calle dmy OB. Together they decided to send me to triage for a couple of hours.

So, I headed to L & D and my pressures went crazy. The Dr. came by and said I needed to stay over night to be monitored and do a 24 hour urine collection. I was so upset, seeing that I have 3 kids at home that need me, but I knew this day was coming. So DH left work and got me a bag packed and headed up after the kids were in bed (my mom was with me and my dad was with the kids). I received my first shot for the baby's lungs that afternoon, and the next one the next afternoon. I woke up at 3 a.m. with the left side of my face and both hands numb and tingling. I told the Dr. this when he came by before his office hours that morning. Apparently he told my nurse not to let me eat dinner in case he decided to start my induction that evening. When he came by that afternoon, he filled me in that he had worried about me all day, and that he would be on call the next day, so he wanted to check me and start cervadil. I was a finger tip dilated, but long and soft. He inserted the cervadil. He also told the nurses to start me on magnesium for my blood pressures (YUCK)!! and sent me down to L & D with orders that I could have my epidural whenever I was ready, yay!

Since I had to have a cathetor put in due to not being able to get up while on magnesium, I opted for the epidural quick! The MOST painful part of the whole labor was the stupid cathetor!! They started my iv, did all paper work and then the epidural was started that evening. Prolly my most painful one to date, but that's because I wasn't having any contractions!

So, The magnesium was AWFUL! I was burning hot the whole time, and they had a fan right on my face. My mom and DH were wrapped in blankets it was so cold in my room, lol. It made me feel achy and just plain yuck! It had to stay on for 24 hours following delivery, as well as the stupid cathetor and iv.

They took the cervadil out around midnight and didn't start pitocin until 7 the next morning., when my Dr. came on call. I was 2 cm at that point. The pitocin really took a long time to get things going. Matthew's heart rate would drop if I laid on my left side, so I was stuck on my right side almost the whole 24 hours As it got closer, his heart rate would drop during the contractions, so I had to wear the oxygen mask until he was born. The Dr. said it was more than likely his cord wrapped around his neck since it would come right back up after the contractions were over. I was getting frustrated about it taking so long, but my Dr. was so laid back and kept saying once I hit a 5 I would take off! i should never doubt him, cause he was right. I went from a 5 to a 10 in less than 20 minutes. I never felt a single contraction, but when it was time, I looked at the nirse and told her I thought his head was coming out. She looked, ran to the phone to call the DR. and the NICU team, and started tearing the room apart. Pitocin turned off, my legs went into stirrups, and there were so many Dr.'s and nurses in there just waiting.

He told me once the next contraction started to push. I started to, then he told me to stop, that my body was doing it for me. The cord was wrapped three times tightly around his neck, so DH didn't get to cut it this time So with NO pushing from me, Matthew was born at 6:05 p.m. on the 17th. They immediately gave him to the NICU Dr.'s and wheeled him by me for a quick peek.

I had to wait 2 hours before they took me up to see him. Talk about feeling awful, I didn't even get to hold my baby. They started him on cpap up in the NICU. That lasted for a day, then they intubated him for less than 24 hours. I couldn't hold him until he was on the nasal canula, so after 3 days, I was finally able to hold my baby! Day 5 he was off the canula, we started breastfeeding and bottle feeding, and by day 6 he was off all breathing help and no more feeding tube. Day 7 he was moved to the special care nursery where I got to spend every day and night with him. His first day there he became tired and wouldn't eat so they had to put the feeding tube back in After a day of that, he was back to taking his bottles again. He had to feed continuosly for 24 hours, and also go 5 days after his apnea episode before he could go home. So, day 11, hep b vaccine given, rsv shot given, and circumsicion done, and he was ours to take home And the kids finally got to see him, since during RSV season, nobody under 16 was allowed in the NICU or special care nursery.

Thanks for reading if you made it through!

Joshua - 11/02/05
Matthew - 2/17/12 - Born at 33 weeks 5 days

Last edited by *Shannon*; March 22nd, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
March 23rd, 2012, 06:55 AM
JenJen3574's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for posting your story. Sounds like there were a few scary moments, but glad you and Matthew are doing well now.
*Shannon* likes this.
Once a decade, right?

March 25th, 2012, 05:32 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a ride!!! I LOVE the picture of him staring up at you...SO sweet!!
*Shannon* likes this.

=May '05 and '11

March 31st, 2012, 10:47 AM
abwright17's Avatar Ashley
OMG hes sooo stinking CUTE!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! Also our babies were born on the same day, how awesome!!!!!
*Shannon* likes this.
April 10th, 2012, 05:26 PM
adi&co.
He's such a little miracle!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search