Tongue Tied

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Veteran
Are any mommies baby's tongue tied? did u have it fixed? do they use anesthetic? how long did it hurt your little one for? did your baby latch on immediately after? did you notice a big difference when breastfeeding?
Tristan is scheduled to have his frenelum snipped on Wednesday and Im getting a liitle ok alot nrevous!!
March 26th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've never even heard of this. Sorry, I hope everything goes okay.

March 27th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Veteran
Its actually when the bottom of the tongue is tethered to the floor of the mouth byu the frenelum (the piece of skin under the tongue is too tight or infront) preventing baby from using his tongue properly. So baby has trouble latching on, may have speech problems later in life or dental problems.... Its a quick procedure where the little piece of skin is clipped allowing baby to have better movement of his tongue... My doctor told me this morning the only thing they give before the clipping is tylenol and that it is very quick and my baby will latch on immediately after and I should feel the difference. Tristan has alot of difficulty latching on and when he does it is very painful for me... Ill post soon after the procedure and let you know how things went and are going.
March 27th, 2012, 11:12 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I haven't had any experience personally with the lower frenelum but both of my younger kiddos have the tight upper frenelum. It did cause nursing issues with Owen but hasn't with Mallory. If it has caused worse issues or we didn't adjust to them/they didn't grow well I would have tried to get it snipped.

Hope it goes well and works to smooth things out.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

March 31st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I'll reply to this. My daughter had it. My pedi snipped it in office during a visit. No problem.
Slight bleeding but she only cried a second.
Made a difference in latch. She's now able to nurse all the time with no problem. It also reduces gas because they don't suck in air with trouble latching your breast or bottle correctly.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

April 3rd, 2012, 11:03 PM
heatherj101604's Avatar Super Mommy
My son Dash had it.his was clipped by a ped surgeon in the office..no anesthesia just a topicale numbing cream..quick clip w/ a cauterizing tool and he was good to go back to his happy self after a nap...Later in the evening he was a little extra fussy so I gave him some tylenol and he was better again. I don't breastfeed but he is no longer nipple picky..before he could only use certain nipples. Hope everything works out well for your little one.
May 4th, 2012, 09:47 PM
adi&co.
sorry totally snooping.. My oldest was severely tongue tied, but with some coaching, nursed perfectly fine once he got his latch right so they said it was no problem. I have to tell you, get it snipped now. do not wait. My son got it snipped at 4 and it was traumatic to both of us. Lots of bleeding, screaming, pain, tongue chomping when it was still numb, no eating, etc. They say it's relatively painless as an infant and hurts a lot more when they're older and I can say that at least the older bit is true! I wish I had known more about tongue ties when he was a baby because I never in a million years would have waited!!

Last edited by adi&co.; May 4th, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
May 18th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Veteran
Just a quick update. Had the tongue clipping, doctor did not give Tristan any meds before (no numbing cream, no cauterizing area only tylenol after procedure was done). It was traumatizing!!!!! Tristan would not latch on or go near my breast immediately after, there was blood all over his face, my chest.... He was screaming and holding his breath for 10 minutes. There was 2 lactation consultants and the md in the room with us and we couldn't get him to calm down. Doctor made me do almost 20 minutes of kangaroo care to calm him down before trying to get him to nurse.... Its been over a month and he is nursing like a champ (although he still doesn't latch on to the left side.) I will never forget that, im only glad Tristan will never remember it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search