Daycare

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadeauxe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran
To the Mamas who will be returning to work after the baby is born.

What type of daycare will your baby be in? Full time? Part time?
Is it in-home, center-based, nanny, or a family member?

What are you roughly going to be paying??

Brigitte & Ian
Engaged 10/10/12
Mama to 4 Lil Ladies
Sierra (14), Micaela (10), Breanna (10)
& Littlest Lady, Alyssa Anne 4/13/2012
Blog:http://virgogal1979.blogspot.com
March 25th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Clutch's Avatar First Timer
We're still looking for one. We'd need a full time, center-based type. We've visited a few places. We walked out of one place horrified of it ... the other two were kind of "ok" I guess.

They all want about about the same amount ... $150/week for newborn - toddler.

We need to go look at more places. But I hate it. I'm really disappointed about having to go back to work. It doesn't matter what kind of childcare we choose, I'm going to hate it.
March 25th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Veteran
I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I work only 2 days during the week but also every weekend and my weekend shift are from 7am-7:30pm with an hour drive each way. We've got the weekdays covered I think as my hubby's mom said she is pretty sure she can do it. It would only be for a few hours each day.

But for the weekends, we're probably going to have someone come to our house. I've been asking around in the hopes of finding someone I like that is also affordable but no such luck yet. Hubby does have off some weekends but it changes so we need someone who is flexible.

As for price, I have no idea what the going rate is for in home. I need to look into that a bit more. The centers around here vary from $200/week to $400/week.
March 25th, 2012, 06:48 PM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What type of daycare will your baby be in? Full time? Part time? She'll be in full time daycare along with my daughter.

Is it in-home, center-based, nanny, or a family member? It's centre based.

What are you roughly going to be paying?? I'm on chid care subsidy now, and it's free (due to a VERY low income in 2010), but I made more money last year (2011), so it'll be going up and i'm not sure how much it will be going up to. I just checked out a subsidy calculator, and I think it will be about $100 to $150 per month for both kids.

http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com
March 26th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
We will be using a center, full time. It's $1600+/month. Almost every day care is either this expensive or kind of sketchy. Even the sketchy ones are $1300/month.
March 26th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe View Post
We will be using a center, full time. It's $1600+/month. Almost every day care is either this expensive or kind of sketchy. Even the sketchy ones are $1300/month.
Wow! That's a lot of money!!!!

I won't go back to work until Aug of 2013 but when I do it will be a center based daycare at about $250 a week. It's the same one I had Zachary in from the time he was 1 to 5 and it's one of the best in the area.

March 26th, 2012, 05:29 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe View Post
You must live closer to the city. I live in central MA, and FT infant care at a center is around $1000-$1100 (which is still crazy to me). An old boss of mine who lived in Brookline paid $38K a year for her 2.5 yr old at some center she HAD to be at!

We adjusted our work schedules in the fall of 2010 so that one of us is always home with the kiddos. Now with 3 that would need care, there's no way we could afford that. My DH has a FT and PT job, and I work PT.
March 26th, 2012, 06:44 AM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Emilee will be going to the same daycare center as my son. It's a state approved, not licensed daycare which is because they are church-based and use a Christian curriculum. Trust me when I say they are 100 times better than half the licensed daycares we looked at, so a license itself does NOT guarantee your child's safety or education.

Anyway, one of the perks is that this daycare is super flexible. So we are actually taking my son out of daycare for a few weeks while we are all home and then he'll go back full time while I'm on maternity leave without hubby. Then when I go back to work, they will both go 3 times a week.

Right now, infant daycare is $182 a week (DS is in 2 year room at $165 a week). I honestly can't remember what PT care was, obviously less, but not really by that much. I'm doing the PT more for just the extra time I want with them, not for the money reduction.

My Blog
March 26th, 2012, 06:56 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The twins will be going to the same private babysitter that DD goes to and DS went to. She is a fabulous woman who is like family to us now. We pay $30 a day per child. They only go 3 days a week. I have off on weekends, and we make it so that DH's days off are during the week so the kids spend more time with one of us than they do with her, and it cuts down on the cost as well.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

March 26th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Veteran
Thank you for sharing!! I appreciate it. I was trying to get an idea of what others are doing.. Alyssa will be in an in-home state approved daycare 3x a week, part time.
She will be there from about 7am-1pm, with the other 2 days at home being taken care of by my boyfriend. I do work from home, but I can not always have her home with me, as I am on a schedule per say. It is going to cost us $100 a week for those days she is in daycare.

Brigitte & Ian
Engaged 10/10/12
Mama to 4 Lil Ladies
Sierra (14), Micaela (10), Breanna (10)
& Littlest Lady, Alyssa Anne 4/13/2012
Blog:http://virgogal1979.blogspot.com
March 26th, 2012, 07:34 AM
JenJen3574's Avatar Super Mommy
After my maternity leave, my DH is going to take FMLA leave too for 12 weeks - he has enough sick/vacation time to take concurrently so that we won't be out his income during this period. I'm returning to work part-time though, so at about 6 months old or so she will need to go to part-time daycare when DH's leave is over.

I don't know the exact cost of part time care yet since it will be Sept or Oct before we need it and I've just procrastinated on getting that info. I think full time daycare for an infant is around $250 a week here though. We will use the same center that Katie went to before she started Kindergarten as we know the staff there and are comfortable with them.
Once a decade, right?

March 26th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
full-time and DH's mom and sister will be taking care of baby. we offered to pay them but they won't accept any money. we'll still offer something, especially to DH's sister.
March 26th, 2012, 08:55 AM
MichelleB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD will go to the same center (full time) that DS has been at since he was 12 weeks old -- it's been great for him so we're sticking with it. Plus a ton of my friends use the same center

The infant room is $250/week for full time -- price drops a little bit each time your child moves to a new room. DS is $220/week right now in the 2-2.5 year old room.

We got a summary of what we paid for tax purposes -- in 2011 we paid just under $12k for daycare. So with two kids it'll be roughly double that now. Doesn't make any sense to me that the tax deductible amount for child care costs is the same for 1 kid versus 10 kids ($5k per year - not even enough to cover half of one of our kids) -- oh well...that's the price of quality care where we live...

[
March 26th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynne01 View Post
You must live closer to the city. I live in central MA, and FT infant care at a center is around $1000-$1100 (which is still crazy to me). An old boss of mine who lived in Brookline paid $38K a year for her 2.5 yr old at some center she HAD to be at!

We adjusted our work schedules in the fall of 2010 so that one of us is always home with the kiddos. Now with 3 that would need care, there's no way we could afford that. My DH has a FT and PT job, and I work PT.
Yeah, I am in the 495/90 area. I check every town between our house and my husband's work and in Waltham where I work. It's crazy. Bright Horizons charges $2100+/month. I don't know why anyone would want to pay for that, but they haven't gone out of business, so I guess people do.
March 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
We got a summary of what we paid for tax purposes -- in 2011 we paid just under $12k for daycare. So with two kids it'll be roughly double that now. Doesn't make any sense to me that the tax deductible amount for child care costs is the same for 1 kid versus 10 kids ($5k per year - not even enough to cover half of one of our kids) -- oh well...that's the price of quality care where we live...
I agree! I am annoyed that the limit that you can contribute to a pre-tax account is $5000. I pay that in about 3 months. If the cost of daycare is high in an area, you should be allowed to contribute more.
JenJen3574 likes this.
March 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post

CPA stepping in.....With one, the max you can do with either a pre-tax account and the dependent credit is $3,000. With two, the max you can do with a pre-tax account is still $5,000 but the dependent care credit you get another $3,000, so the max there is $6,000. You can't take both and usually you are better to do the $5,000 in the pre-tax and take the add'l $1,000 at tax time. After 2, it's always the same.

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search