Ugh my MIL...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2012, 04:48 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First let me say that my MIL and I used to have an awesome relationship. We were good friends even and I enjoyed her company. Then she did some things that put DH, myself and our girls in a really tight situation which involved us having to move super quickly and fork out a ton of money for her. It has been 3 years since then and we have worked to fix our relationship. It's not perfect but better.

Anyway. So I had a doctors appt (I'll post that separately) today that involved a lot of discussion on some serious medical issues that have come up for me in the last two weeks. I had a lot of blood work done too. I posted on Facebook "'DH' and I are on our way home from my drs appt. Low blood pressure, no weight gain, and I'm short a whole lot of blood as 'Doctor' ordered a bunch of labs. Fun... not."

I had a few replies about it from friends encouraging me and offering advice. MIL suggested I add an iron supplement (which I already have in my regiment of vitamins for anemia) and said she hopes they figure it out.

THEN she posts another reply, except it wasn't a reply. It was an announcement that SIL found out she is also having a boy and gave the name.

I'm happy for SIL (though feel her disappointment - she wanted a girl as she has a son already) but I really felt that my facebook status about medical stuff wasn't the place for MIL to post the announcement. MIL posted her own status minutes later, so I "removed" her post on mine and just congratulated them both under MILs.

My mom says that was childish of me, and it probably was, but MIL does this all the time. Not just on facebook statuses but in the middle of a phone conversation where she was asking about what's going on with us she interrupts and tells me something about SIL. It's like she doesn't really care what we're saying as long as she gets to boast or brag on SIL.

Okay, that's about all I had to rant about here. I know...petty, but I'm just annoyed with being interrupted online and in real life by MIL with SIL's news.

March 29th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that she shouldn't have posted your SIL's news as a "reply" on your post. She should have posted it on her page to begin with and I do think it is quite rude for her to post it on your page and especially as a reply to something you posted that deserves attention of it's own. I don't think you were wrong for deleting it. At least you were kind enough to wait until after she had posted it on her own page.

March 29th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Super Mommy
I don't think it's petty or childish at all. My MIL is a lot similar as far as interrupting to make it about SIL or even about herself. One time she posted about herself under DS's first ever school picture so I copied it to send it to DH (who was out to sea at the time) and deleted it because it upset me that she would post about herself on my son's picture. I think when there is something that upsets you, you should do what is necessary. I think it was inappropriate for her to post that on your status and I would have just said "I figured she posted it by mistake so that's why I deleted it" lol, although no one but MIL would complain about me deleting it lol.

March 29th, 2012, 05:39 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Not petty at all. It's super annoying and, quite frankly rude, to make someone else's status about yourself or someone else, unless the status and the info about another person are somehow related. In this case, they obviously were not related in any way and it was the completely wrong place to put that and inappropriate to say the least. Anyhow, I would've deleted the comment, too, and like Kim said, if she asked, just say that you figured she must've inadvertently posted it in the wrong place since an announcement that special deserves it's own separate update.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

March 30th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thank you ladies. I felt justified to be worked up over something so minor. But then I second guess everything these days and when my mom said it was childish I started doing it all over again.

So far she didn't say anything about me deleting it so I'm hoping she didn't notice or realized her goof.

March 30th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Pleione's Avatar Momtographer
Forgive me, I guess I can kind of see why the MIL did it. Don't get me wrong, it would annoy me, too. But I wouldn't go as far as deleting it. That would probably upset the MIL even more.

She probably thought since it was baby related it was okay to share there.

Siggy by Vicki...

March 30th, 2012, 04:09 PM
luvmyabsolute's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to luvmyabsolute
I would have been angry also. I think that was rude and inconsiderate. I would have done the same thing you did.

*!*!*Thank you Vicki... For my Great Siggie*!*!*

Make a pregnancy ticker
March 30th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleione View Post
Forgive me, I guess I can kind of see why the MIL did it. Don't get me wrong, it would annoy me, too. But I wouldn't go as far as deleting it. That would probably upset the MIL even more.

She probably thought since it was baby related it was okay to share there.
If it were anyone else, I would say sure that makes sense. Except she's done this sort of thing on the most random statuses. For instance, once I posted a question about substituting an ingredient in a recipe. She was the first to reply - but nothing to do with the recipe. Nope, she wanted to tell me that SIL was going to be visiting in two months. Not a post about us getting together with her or inviting anyone to a get together or anything. Just a general statement that SIL was coming up. (She lives in Kentucky, we live in NH).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search