exercise and early pregnancy

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2012, 08:22 AM
lilemma86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey there,
i had a quick q

About two months ago i started working out (30-45min) about three times a week. No weights just my own body. I also started back to my real passion which is pole exercise! Should i keep up with about 2-3 times a week or cut it back? With the pole i am back to level 1 so there are no inverts (going upside down) or really strenuous ticks yet. Anyway all opinions appreciated!

Oh also i work in a feed store and everything is 50lbs.... what should I do?

April 2nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
IamVillanueva's Avatar Veteran
Of course you have to ask your doc....but you should be able to continue to excercise at the same level as before as long as your body is used to it and you have no other complications. This is my third and I've always kept up with my same excercise routine. You will be glad you did when you need the strength and endurance for labor and delivery.

I was reading an article yesterday about yoga and the first trimester. She advised against doing any deep twists, back bends or any pose that compresses the abdominals. Also advised not to do jumps because there may be a risk with the implantation in the early weeks. I think I may take this advice to my step class and lower my impact a little. I usually jump all over the step.

I would not lift the 50 lb. bags. Even though it's so early, I'm sure your employer would want to know that you are pregnant and may ask you to stop lifting heavy for liability reasons.

Enjoy the excercise while you still can
April 2nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
*Kristina's Avatar Miss Mommy
I exercise avidly too, 4-5 times a week but only 30 minute intervals. While pregnant I only do cardio, no weight lifting, and I do not allow myself to be too out of breath. It all depends on what your body is used to. I don't see the need to cut back as long as you aren't pushing yourself too strenuously.

If you were running consistently before you were pregnant, for example, you would be okay to run (albeit more mildly) while pregnant... you do not want to push yourself too hard. Like jogging instead of running, walking instead of jogging, depending on what you are used to. With your pole exercise, dropping to a level one would be a perfect example of this. Currently I utilize the treadmill and the elliptical, but as I get bigger/further along, I'll most likely downgrade to a moderately-reclined stationary bike (the one you don't hunch over handlebars).

As far as lifting, unfortunately all signs point to no. I know this is hard because I work in IT and often have to lift computers and etc. but you really shouldn't lift more than 30 pounds... and that's only if you have to. Don't be afraid to ask for help!

Keep up the good work girl!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search