Need a new doctor...and general first beta result

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Grace
  • 1 Post By Momma_Mia

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2012, 02:24 PM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Let's just say that I am a Type A planner. I've lived in NYC for a decade now, and have cycled through 4 docs. I really thought I had found "the one" - and thus allowed this whole TTC thing to begin. I'm not happy having to find a new doc now

Here's my track record:

#1 - was still in NJ. He's almost like my first true love in the sense that I compare each doc to him. Caring, gentle, patient and thorough. (My mom suggested today to just come "home" to see him. Three world class hospitals within walking distance, and I'm actually considering moving back to NJ. Sigh).

#2 - My friend used this doc with her first DD & highly recommended. She was quick and to the point, but not super friendly and spent zero time with me. Also, her office was so cold and antiseptic that I was highly uncomfortable (read - not one pic on the walls). Her office staff were also horrendous!!! I cheated on her once with doc #3, came back after "the bad experience", but had an even worse experience with her. Won't go back and would never recommend to anyone.

#3 - Actually berated me for touching my cervix. Doc #1 had said there was a bump I should monitor on the cervix lip. Went in to see #3 because it was getting substantially larger, and before even checking me stated there was no way I could feel my cervix (um, hello? what kind of crazy gyn are you????) Upon checking the bump, said, Oh - I feel it. Don't know what it is - but it's probably normal. ***!?!?!?!?!?!?!

#4 - I absolutely loved. He was charming, funny, patient, and gentle. Always took his time & explained everything. The problem??? He recently stopped seeing patients for OB and only does Gyn now!!! BOO!!!!!!! I'm still going to his office for Beta's - although I haven't actually spoken to him. Supposedly he will see me for the next few weeks, should I need anything, but I need to find a new doc.

The nurse I spoke with today was not helpful at all. She read out a list of names, without recommending anyone, and said I really should just ask my friends their advice. Gee wiz, thanks. I called my Cleft Lip/Palate surgeon, who works with a team at NYU, who unfortunately referred me to Doc #3!?!?!?!? ***?!?!?!?!?! Does no one else realize how crazy she is?!?!?!?!?!?

So here I am, blindly trying to find a new doc. Any suggestions would be helpful. The downside is I'm currently unemployed, so have no co-workers I could casually ask (but still have great insurance through the DH). Also, none of my female friends still live in the city, and my gays are helpful in a lot of ways, but won't help now

Do I really just point and call? UGH.

Oh...and the nurse said my beta was positive but low. I went in today for a second test to compare. Tomorrow when I call I'm going to ask for both numbers outright. I mean, I have a PhD, I think I can handle it. Geez.

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

April 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
Hello again, just lurking lol, but just a thought, does your city have a website that will let you see info on Drs? When I lived in phoenix I really did not know anyone and was TTC and got pg so I needed an ob. I was able to look online pick a dr and then check them out on a website to see if they every had complaints or malpractice and so on, good thing to because I almost chose a Dr. (based on he was cute) and then found out he was in trouble for not being a very good Dr.
Or you can always check out some Drs and look them up online (google) and usually you will find reviews on them from other patients. Anyhow, congrats again, hope you find a great OB!
Diamond2009 and Becky_78 like this.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
April 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Trying to find the perfect OB/GYN is so hard! I can commiserate - I have been through my fair share since I moved 10 years ago. Umm, off the top of my head, 5? I found my most recent one after an RE botched an egg retrieval and I went to the local hospital. He did my emergency surgery and I, in OB terms, fell in love. I've been looking around for a midwife and I've had some luck finding reviews simply by typing their name into Google. It brings up reviews from forums to yelp to doctors.com.
Good luck finding one and I'll be hoping you get nice high numbers tomorrow! All this talk about betas is making me think I should go get one too. This is the first pregnancy I haven't had them done!

April 2nd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks Grace and Mary!
I googled until I couldn't google anymore...and came up with someone Hopefully I'll like him in person as much as online - but his reviews are pretty great so that's a start! He seems to promote natural births and have a low C-section rate - which makes me happy.

My only concern is that he has a DO instead of an MD - but he went through a traditional residency program so I think it should be fine.

Oh - and I stalked him on FB and he supported the OWS movement...so I guess I shouldn't tell him that my DH worked for a little company called AIG...

April 2nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
MissMoto's Avatar Web & Graphic Designer
I don't have any useful input because I'm all the way in Michigan, but Becky, girl.... you are awesome and your post made me LOL. DH thought I was crazy.

I'm in the same boat though... Doc #1 was supposed to deliver my first but was out of the country when emergency time came (Roxie was born 2 months premature). Gave him a second chance with #2 and almost decided I hated him until my DH lost his job (at the time) and Doc told me that he was doing my surgery for free (can you believe that!??!?) Decided he was the greatest doc of all time... then he retired. Doc #2 delivered #3 and was amazing... but his office requires me to see all the OBs on rotation and I subsequently saw every single one multiple times and more of the "other" OBs than my own OB. Will NOT go through that again... Wasn't worth it!

*** Robert Charles III {5.24.11} ***
Expecting Vanna Marjorie or Abel Alexander in August 2015!
April 2nd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Woah - free surgery?!?!? Maybe I need to move to Michigan!!!

April 2nd, 2012, 07:39 PM
Momma_Mia's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh Becky, i hope this one is the one. I have to find a OB too because my Dr no longer does it but thankfully i have some co-workers that recently had babies so I am going to call one tomorrow...FX they are taking new patients.

So are you going to call tomorrow?
Becky_78 likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum

April 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Ooooo...I hope they are taking new patients for you Mary!!! Let me know as soon as you find out

I called today and made an appt for Fri, April 13th...maybe everyone else was spooked? I hope this is it

April 3rd, 2012, 05:35 AM
MissMoto's Avatar Web & Graphic Designer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky_78 View Post
Woah - free surgery?!?!? Maybe I need to move to Michigan!!!
Some doctors DO have a heart, they do! They do!

*** Robert Charles III {5.24.11} ***
Expecting Vanna Marjorie or Abel Alexander in August 2015!
April 3rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Momma_Mia's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Ooooo...I hope they are taking new patients for you Mary!!! Let me know as soon as you find out
Yes!! made initial appt for May 3rd which I will be about 8 weeks and I dont see the Dr but I talk to nurse and lab for blood work....and I will say the ladies that I spoke with were super nice and let me know that if I have any ?'s or concerns to contact them so i am glad that i have somewhere to go in the meantime if necessary

Thank you Jaidynsmum

April 4th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Boss Mama
I hope when you meet this new doctor you love him. I had my OB deliver my 3rd child and since i ended up having a C section due to her being breach i'm going to go to her again with this pregnancy.
BFP #1 - Baby boy born May 10 1998
BFP #2 - Baby Girl born March 22 2002
BFP #3 - Baby girl born September 18 2009
We started trying for our last child in September 2011 and it has been a rollercoaster
BFP #4 Baby girl Lauren born sleeping at 18 weeks July 5 2012 (PPROM) no answers why
BFP #5 - D&C Feb 11 2013 (heart Stopped at 13 weeks)
BFP #6 - Miscarriage at 8 weeks Nov 28 2014
BFP #7 - Baby girl Kimiah Genesis born sleeping at 23 weeks June 28 2016 (PPROM and PL) found out after autopsy i have an infection in my uterus, need to go on antibiotics if i ever get pregnant again

My Ovulation Chart

Some days i feel to just give up but a part of me can't let go of the thought of hopefully one day God blessing us again!!!!
April 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Oh...and the nurse said my beta was positive but low. I went in today for a second test to compare. Tomorrow when I call I'm going to ask for both numbers outright. I mean, I have a PhD, I think I can handle it. Geez.
I had a similar issue with a nurse yesterday. I called and asked for my the results of my beta (drawn Monday morning) and she responded, "Well, there's some activity but I don't know about the dating, so I'll talk to the doctor and call you back this afternoon." So annoying...I'd been waiting for 28 hours and I had no confusion about my dates, why couldn't she just tell me the flippin number?!? The "some activity" bit threw me into a complete panic, as with my last pregnancy my numbers were super low and I had a mc @ 7 weeks. The nurse finally called me back that afternoon and gave me numbers I was fine with...beta = 618 at 17dpo, progesterone = 27.

I think I am going to switch practices as well... I've had issues with the nurses there every time I call. The last time I called and asked for my progesterone number, the nurse stated, "Do you even know what the numbers would mean?!" Ugh!

Last edited by sweatpea78; April 4th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search