Questions from 1st Time Pregnant Girl

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By rlh27
  • 1 Post By Becky_78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2012, 09:54 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Okay, first pregnancy here, so bear with me, please!

1. I'm only 3 weeks and 3 days and I'm already feeling queezy. Have preggie pops worked well for anybody? I'm thinking about ordering some. I know if nothing sits well now, it's going to be a fun time in a few weeks. What other tips do you have to manage m/s?

2. Is there a link to a list of what medicines that can and cannot be taken during pregnancy? The doctor told me I could take Clariton for my nasty spring allergies, but I'd like a reference list for the future.

3. Anything else I should know? You may think something is super obvious, but believe me, I am completely ignorant when it comes to pregnancy.

Last edited by rlh27; April 4th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
April 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM
kateb10's Avatar Expecting #2!!!
I don't really use meds when I'm pregnant, except for saline spray when I have a stuffy nose. I cut down caffeine to one cup of decaf a day. And I try to walk a few times a week. And tons of water.

I've been blessed (so far) with no m/s with either my daughter or the babe we lost - and not yet this pregnancy either so I'm no help there. My mom said she slept with saltines on her nightstand so she could eat something before she had to stand up.

Hope any of this helps?

Kate

Wife to Stu, Mommy to English Jane (15 months), remembering sweet babe lost Feb. 24 at 8 weeks

April 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM
PennyLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have yet to get morning sickness *cross fingers* so I can't really help you with the first question. I have heard that keeping some saltines right next to the bed and eating a couple first thing in the morning can help. . .

As for meds, here is a list I found through google. I would recommend though not taking anything while your pregnant, even the "safe" ones, unless you REALLY need it. There are so many meds that they say are safe for pregnancy and then we find out years later they're not actually so I like to just steer clear in general, and my midwife said the same.

April 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My favorite thing for the queasiness is ginger... if you can find candied ginger or ginger chews to suck on or juicing some fresh ginger and mixing it in with other fruit juices. Ginger ale of course... Mostly what helps me is snacking throughout the day. If I make sure that I eat something every 2 hours then I don't do too bad.

Most docs and lists will say that you can take tylenol for pain when you're pregnant, but there are a lot of medications that they just don't know about. I'd pretty much always say to be safe and double check with your doctor before you take anything.

The obvious things are probably ones you already know: good nutrition, stay hydrated, take your prenatals, try to be active (will help combat the fatigue), get plenty of rest, set up an appointment with your midwife or OB...

And then feel free to come here with questions! The ladies on this site are great!

April 4th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I have not found anything that really helps m/s but I do sniff alchol pads/cotton balls when it gets really bad. that does curb the really bad moments, though doesn't heal it

As for meds. I just stay away from it all personally. I know there are so called safe meds out there, but I am uber crunchy and tend to want nothing to accidentally harm my baby. So I suffer through it in most cases. Such as having my wisdom teeth pulled- no meds, having gall bladder pulled- no meds ect.. (this was during breastfeeding time) Though I admit it SUCKS doing it this way, I just can't handle the idea of any drugs in my babys system

I am sure being on this board will help you tons, so no worries baout asking questions, there are plenty of us that have been through this a time or 2 and love to share what we feel works for us. Take all advice w/ a grain of salt and trust that mothers intuition that the Lord gave you!
April 4th, 2012, 05:07 PM
brynnkelley04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto with everyone else but I wanted to add that I recently found out I have to stop using my Proactive due to some harsh ingredients. Just an FYI who would have thought.

Brynn 30,
Rich 41, Marcus 11, Gavin 8
~~IVF #4 using Donor Eggs=BFP
~~April 18th 1st U/S=TWINS! Baby A 128bpm Baby B 124bpm

April 4th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the worst sinuses ever - mostly from complications with my cleft lip/palate. I was on claritan/flonase constantly about 6 years, when I finally saw a surgeon in NYC. He suggested stopping everything and just using the Neill Med Sinus Rinse - and I swear it changed my life! I've been using it now for about 7 years and my regular allergy/sinus symptoms are so much better - I barely need meds anymore. Hope that helps

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

April 4th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
Becky I have been using the Preggie Pops and I LOVE them!!!!! They help me so much! They even have Preggie drops and those work to, so does the organic morning wellness tea from "babies r us"

I don't think you will be disappointed

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

April 4th, 2012, 06:51 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No m/s yet but with all 3 boys I used the suckers...they were okay. I had better luck using the sea sickness bands that work by using pressure points. With the last one I had to use Emetrol for the second month when it got real bad. As for the Claratin, my PCP took me off of my allergy meds except for the nose spray. I take Tylenol PM at night and it help with the breathing some since its juat tylenol and benadryl.
April 4th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
I have been blessed to not have MS with any of my pregnancies thank god.....i did meet with the doctor today and she mentioned that during pregnancy you should avoid eating fish as it contains mercury content. Fish to avoid : shark, swordfish, mackerel and some types of tuna like fish.

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

April 4th, 2012, 07:30 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations on your pregnancy!
1. Yes, some of my pregnancies, I had morning sickness super quickly. It's totally normal.
2. The most fantastic link any pregnant women should have is the Safe Fetus website, it has a database in which you can search all drugs by their formal or generic name and it tell you if it is safe to take while pregnant. Drugs in Pregnancy and Breastfeeding | SafeFetus.com
Seriously, bookmark it, it is fabulous! With my first born, I didn't take anything except for my thyroid medicine and some zofran when I was in the hospital for dehydration. My second, I think I could tylenol a handful of times. Now, I'm a little more lax about it as long as it's deemed harmless to a pregnancy.

April 5th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Thank you so much for all this helpful information! I greatly appreciate it. You'd think after trying for 9 months I would have researched everything, but I guess I didn't think about the next step, lol.

I talked to my doctor last night, and she pretty much said chill out, eat what doesn't make you sick, and call her before taking any meds.

Oh, and when I talked to the doc she said she'd move up my u/s to sometime in week 6 instead of week 9, just to make me feel better I love my doctor already!
April 5th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
Thats soooo awesome......you get to see your LO in a few weeks . How exciting !!!

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

April 5th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Lucy I just realized that I responded to this post thinking that Becky wrote the post... OMG.... I am so sorry hun....

April 5th, 2012, 06:54 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lucy - can I just tell you how excited I am to be able to share this experience with you?

On Mary's nod to safefetus.com. It was my "go to" place when i was pregnant/breastfeeding. Since I don't have internet at home, I even printed out a copy of the "safe" drugs and brought it home with me. I too avoided most meds, but did occasionally use a regular strength tylenol. Also, I get cold sores sometimes and my doc said it was okay to use Valtrex when that happened.

Like Brynn (?) I have issues with acne - particularly when pregnant (when I was P with my DD, my husband used to joke that I was going to give birth to a giant zit...har har), so I have to restrain myself from using salicylic acid products. However, the first time around my doc did say it was okay to use a small amount of benzyl peroxide on the acne itself (Not on the entire face.) if needed.

And finally (#3)...the only thing I would add is that it is just AMAZING all the things which happen to your body in this first trimester. You'll find that practically everything is related back to the fact that you are Pregnant...you have to pee all the time (nobody told me this happened so immediately - but it does!), you are constipated (or in my case, the exact opposite ), you snore more, you cry at the drop of a hat, and on and on an on...Every one is different, but it's all AMAZING!

Smooches to you...
April 5th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishinfor2ndblessing View Post
Lucy I just realized that I responded to this post thinking that Becky wrote the post... OMG.... I am so sorry hun....
I write so many posts, that it's not really your fault! Besides, RLH are actually my intitials!!!! (I've always felt very close to Lucy because of this )

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

April 5th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Raina... I thought you were just slipping up on my little secret, lol

I've revealed this in a bunch of hideaways and my friends on facebook obviously know this, but I go by Lucy on here (it's my family nickname), but my name irl is also Becky. I can't go by Becky on here because I have a crazy aunt-in-law who stalks me constantly. I know if I went by my "real" name she'd find me. But Lucy is a really common nickname. I was going to tell everyone in the hideaway when we got one, but I want to be honest with ya'll from the beginning so nobody thinks I'm a troll or anything. All of my other details are the same. I hope nobody is mad, but if you knew this woman, you would understand. I'll probably delete this part of the post tomorrow, just so she doesn't fall upon it.

And Maggie, I'm still in awe of what God has done for all of us on the TTC 6+ months board! I really consider it a miracle, and I am also so thankful that you are continuing this journey with me. We are so blessed!
April 5th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Regular
I have really bad allergies and asthma, my dr. said its more important for me to keep taking the drugs than to stop. I know that if I stop taking them I will end up with horrible sinus infections, yuck. She said that zyrtec was safe for my allergies, but I have cut down to 1/2 a pill. They did change my asthma medication though.

My m/s has been awful some days, not too bad others! I haven't found anything to help, so I am going to try the preggo pops and lozenges, where can you get them?. My doctor just said to eat what doesn't make me sick.

-Nicole
April 5th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Nicole I bought the Preggie Pops, and Preggie drops from "Babies R Us" hope that helps

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search