Breaking the news...(to siblings)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Wishinfor2ndblessing
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2012, 07:13 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For those of you with kiddos - I'd love to get some input about when you plan on sharing the news that they are going to be siblings.

My DD is 2 and a half, and since she's a total Pete Repeat right now, we won't be telling her until we're sure this particular bean sticks. (We don't need her running around daycare telling people that her mommy has a baby in her belly.)

For those who have already gone this route once- do you have any suggestions? For those that are in the same boat as me (i.e.: expecting #2) - do you have any particular plans in this regard?
April 9th, 2012, 07:15 AM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've talked a little bit to Landon who is also about 2 1/2 but he really doesn't get it. He thinks that everyone has a baby in their bellies. lol

Little brother!
April 9th, 2012, 07:32 AM
mummy2jade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mummy2jade
We have always told my children fairly soon with all my pregnancys except the month i mc something told me not too and im so glad i didnt as would have had to then explain to them what had happened This time i am not planning on telling them till after my scan so as i know all is well. Its hard keeping it secret as only yesterday they were asking me for another brother or sister bless them.
April 9th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
MY DD is 7 and we have told her. Mainly cause she likes to rough house and we needed to explain why she cant attack mommy.... I am glad I told her early cause she is very involved and protective of mommy. I think she is going to end up being my "lil momma" .
rlh27 and MarlowesMum like this.

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

April 9th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishinfor2ndblessing View Post
MY DD is 7 and we have told her. Mainly cause she likes to rough house and we needed to explain why she cant attack mommy.... I am glad I told her early cause she is very involved and protective of mommy. I think she is going to end up being my "lil momma" .
I’m sure she will, Raina! You’re going to have yourself quite the helper there, I think. Me, I’m just glad that Marlowe’s potty trained…the mere idea of having 2 in diapers is enough to make me pick up a second job.

Plus, I think that your DD is old enough to understand if her M&D want to keep it a family secret for awhile. Marlowe still thinks a secret is when daddy whispers something silly into her ear.
April 9th, 2012, 07:53 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH told our boys right after we found out. I was not planning on telling anyone that soon. The 2 8y/o's understood and were excited. The 2y/o understood more than I expected and started screaming "no, i you baby". When we were pg with the last one I made little baskets for the 2 with a Im a big brother shirt, a disposable camera to take picture over the 9 months and a few little gift just for them.

April 9th, 2012, 07:57 AM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalcherry View Post
My DH told our boys right after we found out. I was not planning on telling anyone that soon. The 2 8y/o's understood and were excited. The 2y/o understood more than I expected and started screaming "no, i you baby". When we were pg with the last one I made little baskets for the 2 with a Im a big brother shirt, a disposable camera to take picture over the 9 months and a few little gift just for them.
What a cute idea!! Maybe we'll do this for Landon after confirming that everything is okay with this pregnancy.

Little brother!
April 9th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalcherry View Post
SUPER cute idea...
Geez crystalcherry - sounds like you need a baby girl.
crystalcherry likes this.
April 9th, 2012, 08:36 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, we do! Too much testerone in this house. The oldest 2 keep begging for a sister, like Im magic and can make it happen. If its a boy they asked if I could trade with someone.

April 9th, 2012, 09:03 AM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
My DS is 2 and a half and I pointed to my belly and told him there was a baby and he has been pointing and telling me there's a baby ever since, he's even kissing it sometimes. Super cute!
April 9th, 2012, 09:04 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We haven't told the kids yet, because I don't want to risk telling them and having a miscarriage. We'll be waiting to tell them once I'm past the first trimester even though I'm super excited! I think what we'll do is tell them right before we plan on letting our parents know and letting them tell them they are going to have a baby brother or sister.

April 15th, 2012, 08:34 PM
anthiaz77's Avatar Veteran
I was planning on waiting until after my first Dr's appointment which isnt until May 11 but my oldest son who is 11 found my pregnancy test because he was snooping in my room and then my 7 year old overheard me talking to my 11 year old so that is how my kids found out I am expecting number 3. Not the way I would have wanted to tell them but they are happy so that is all that matters. I had to make them pinky promise not to tell anybody else and wait until mommy feels comfortable sharing the news.

April 15th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Veteran
DD is 3.5 and we talk about her having a brother or a sister and what she wants to teach them etc. But haven't specifically said there is a baby in my tummy just yet. I want to wait until I am showing or at least have an U/S pic to show her.
April 16th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We aren't telling anyone for awhile.. Probably when I'm around 12ish weeks or farther than that. I personally like it b/c my MIL can be a bit eh.. lol I will tell my kids probably around the first ultrasound but we may have to wait longer since my oldest is a bit of a blabber mouth. I doubt my 19 month old will understand when i tell her though

With my oldest we explained that mommy had a baby in her belly and she would have a brother/sister
April 16th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Super Mommy
We talked to our 5 kids about the possibility of another brother or sister on several ocassions over the last 2 yrs.....they all are excited about the idea EXCEPT my oldest. She is 9. She gets attitude and says,.."ugh, not another stinkin baby". She is a momma's girl tho and demands the majority of my time. She is the spoiled rotten one and now at 9 is starting to get that pre-teen attitude. I explained to her that even if we had another baby, she wouldnt lose any of her activities, my time, ect. She has her own bedroom so she always has a place to "get away" if she wants to. So no, we have not told our children yet! DH's sister is getting married next month. I told him we need to keep this to ourselves until AFTER the wedding. I don't want to still her thunder so to speak. Just seems improper to announce a pregnancy weeks before a wedding. Or maybe im being silly lol. Plus with the last miscarriage i think its better to wait until we see a heartbeat We always announce pregnancy in a creative way to family, i still need to come up with something for this babe.
April 16th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I told my dd when I first found out...she is only 13 months so she had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't have told anyone lol
April 16th, 2012, 10:23 AM
We havent told DD yet. She has wanted a sibling for so long she would be crushed if we lost it. She is going to be the first we tell (at the end of 1st Tri) then we are going to incorporate her into how we tell the extended family. DH asked her if she wanted a baby brother for christmas (since we are due dec) and she got SOOOO excited. We told her to start praying for it. We havent decided how to tell her yet. She is becoming a good reader so we will probably get her a shirt that says "I'm going to be a Big Sister" and have her read it. She will cry I'm sure

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search