Anyone else an overpreparer?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2012, 01:12 PM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cannot handle this wait, I need to get stuff ready for the baby. We didn't have any baby stuff and definitely no boy things, so we started from scratch. This is what I have already:

Pack n play
Travel swing
Stroller & carseat (was going to get just a universal stroller but we got a good deal on these)
Moby wrap and woven wrap
Playmat
Pump
Dresser
Bathtub
Boppy w/two covers
1 box and 1 package disposable diapers
1 container wipes
Cloth diapers - TONS!!
Complete newborn wardrobe plus a few options for coming home outfits
Some 0-3, 3-6, and 6-9 months clothes
A few blankets

My mom and DH told me I need to quit hunting for baby stuff since we'll have a shower this summer. I just cannot help myself sometimes. I see a good deal, I grab it. Almost everything on here was purchased on clearance, or with coupons, or was gently used (clothes, cloth diapers, moby etc).

April 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Super Mommy
I don't know, I'm not feeling it yet... Then again, we are just recently out of the baby stage, so we still have lots. There are only a couple of things I want to get, and I figure I'll just get them whenever. But your list sounds like you are well-prepared, not overprepared! ;-)
April 9th, 2012, 01:22 PM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WOW. You are wayyyyyyy ahead of me! I just took inventory this weekend of what survived from DD.

I have:
-a bouncy seat
-a few newborn sleepers
-quite a bit of 3 month outfits
-lots of blankets (I'll probably just buy her one special blanket that will be "hers" since the rest were from when Keira was a baby)
-socks
-hats
-bathing suits
-tons of clothes 6-18 months that should be season appropriate (crossing fingers)
-a crib set that I'm not sure I will use or sell
-medela double electric breastpump

sooooo I'm going to need a lot more than I thought!
-onesies
-newborn sleepers
-diapers (mix of cloth and sposies)
-wipes
-crib
-carseat/stroller
-3-6 month sleepers
-bathtub
-washcloths
-bottles for once BFing is well established

I already told DH that we need to start buying things here and there so it doesn't seem like we are buying everything at once! I can't wait to start buying some newborn sleepers, but I want to wait until after my 20 week u/s when they can verify girl again just to be safe!
April 9th, 2012, 01:38 PM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually just registered yesterday and it is overwhelming. I'd rather wait to see what people will buy before going out and getting anything, though we do have 2/3 of a bin full of various sized boy clothes.

10/01/15 @ 8.5 weeks
11/17/15 @ 4 weeks (chemical)
1/25/16 @ 4.5 weeks
3/07/16 @ 5.5 weeks

Struggling with how much more my heart can take.
April 9th, 2012, 01:58 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am dying to find out boy or girl so I can get started.

my good friends from my '08 PR sent me a gift card and I get most of what I need with it! I am so excited! And my mom wants to get us a car seat, I am just waiting to find out the sex before I commit to a pattern.

But I have unpacked a few things, my boppy lounger, and bouncy seat. went through the crib sheet and threw away the yucky ones. found my breast pads, pump and DH's scrubs (we had to order him some because the hospital ones don't fit). Found my hospital gown, I bought one that will actually fit me.

I am making a mental list of casseroles I want to make a freeze.

I am in the planning phase yet, but soon, I will start shopping!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 9th, 2012, 02:35 PM
In my family people mostly get clothes, diapers, and little baby toys. I'm not worried about having too many of those things though I hope they realize (my mom spreads the word) that we're mostly cloth diapering and don't go overboard with those. So waiting for them, while it's smart for some, it's really a big deal here.

The only things we really need now are clothes in sizes above newborn, some more receiving blankets, bibs, a bumbo, and baby toiletries.

I got a ton of stuff at super good deals, we wouldn't have it if it wasn't cheap lol. Plus I like to spread out the cost and starting early works for me. I also sew so I'm making quite a bit for baby - bibs, burp cloths, cloth diapers, and the like.

With DD3 we didn't have a shower and I had plenty left over from the girls and I was still picking up things here and there because I want each kiddo to have special things. Now that I've been cutoff from shopping/hunting, I'm working on things for him that I can make. Plus DH wants some Mario brothers artwork for over his pack n play so I need to get on that. We're not using a crib until we move next February so we'll buy that when we get our tax return at that time.

April 9th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the car seat, tons of cloth diapers and boy receiving blankets left over from my boys. I have bought one girl outfit and a pink blanket. I am waaay behind you. You are doing awesome!
April 9th, 2012, 08:51 PM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have only bought a few things. I am getting the crib and changing table from my sister and she has a million boy clothes. We are not finding out what we are having so baby showers will be tough. We hhave bought a few things of diapers and a thing of wipes but nothing extensive so far.

TTC W/PCOS since January of 2016

CP: 6/3/16 at 5 weeks/BETA 40

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/29e5b3

BFP 7/5/16 11DPO turned to blighted ovum 7/29/16 at 6w6d measuring 5W5D beta 2682

Clomid+trigger 11/4/16
April 9th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Super Mommy
Wow you are doing awesome. So far we have got

Pack and play
Bassinet
Onesies
Lots of disposable wipes (sale)
Bounser
Couple bibs and burp cloths
Baby gowns (4-5)
Sleepers (4-5)
Socks (couple packs)

We have a long way to go.
April 10th, 2012, 06:34 AM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If we are having a boy, I have no clothes whatsoever. That's a lie, my daughter did have a couple yellow things that I guess could pass for boy outfits.

But, we do have:

Pack N Play
Bouncer
Bath tub
High Chair
Crib Mattress
Swing

I guess that's it for the big things. I have to buy a carseat (mine expired from Leah), a new crib, since our last was recalled and then basics like diapers, etc. It's nice to be on baby number two and still having lots of the big stuff left! But, yes, I definitely like to be overly prepared. I have no idea how I will feel after baby is born, and going shopping might not be top on my priority lists!
April 10th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my gosh!! This thread has me feeling so behind. I have not bought anything yet. I am waiting until April 16th to find out if I am having a boy or girl. I have absolutely nothing left from my older kids. Once April 16th gets here I am going to really get on the ball!! I read this thread and somehow I feel like I am running out of time o.O

I need to just calm down!!

Is there anyone else who has nothing yet???? I am feeling like it is just me!!!

Krissy, you are doing great!! You seem very well prepared for not even being halfway yet!!

April 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've gotten a few things here and there. I got a TON of clothes from my mommy's group and on clearance etc. I'm also a deal grabber. We're shopping for a double stroller and a diaper bag now since we could use them now with the girls but I'm just so darn indecisive this time. I got the bouncy seat I've been hunting for so I'm thrilled with that We have 2 baby swings the one that matches our Fisher Price Aquarium bouncer but not sure if I love it yet, and another that is used right now for the girls to play with to get them used to baby stuff again. It's OBNOXIOUS. It sounds loud when played and the music is awful and repetitive. Definitely not a keeper but good for the kids. I am kicking myself for getting rid of our old mini-swing. It was AMAZING! We're as usual back and forth on the bed, if we'll use the crib right away or use a co-sleeper etc. etc. I got a few wraps and some sheets, and socks. Small grabs here and there. I'm torn between wanting to wait till summer when it will be NICER out to shop and also knowing it'll be close to that too UNCOMFORTABLE to shop...

, ,,,,,,
April 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I am a little embarassed by how much we have already, I just can't help myself. It's also our first and only boy so that's exciting all in itself. I also feel like I need to get a lot done now since the girls will all be home this summer minus one week for art camp for the older two. So shopping and sewing and all that jazz will be harder with three older kiddos home.

I recommend, if you don't mind gently used clothes and things like that, looking to see if your community has a facebook yardsale group. There's like 6 in my area and I'm on all of them. I got a huge bag of clothes for next to nothing and they were all really nice newborn items - Carters, Gap, Old Navy etc. If I wasn't a scavenger lol and super thrifty we'd probably have a few outfits, the pnp, and the stroller/carseat.

I do want to get a larger swing that plugs in. The swing we have is a travel one that was my sisters last year and she gave it to me when we found out we were expecting. It's cute, and will work fine, but I don't like buying batteries lol.

April 10th, 2012, 08:50 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was like this was my son but this time i'm much more relaxed. I realized with him that i way overprepared which you'd think was a good thing but it meant i ended up buying things i didn't need or wouldn't use for the first 6-12 months of his life. This time i've decided to be more laid back about it. Even though i'm having a girl i won't need THAT much, not compared to my first. Clothes are easy and i figure i'll get lots at the baby shower and also will be yard saling this summer so i'm sure it won't be an issue. There are a couple big items i'll need but am waiting until it gets closer in case a grandparent decides they'd like to buy it for the baby.

April 10th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed Mommy Of 5 View Post
Is there anyone else who has nothing yet???? I am feeling like it is just me!!!
Nope, I'm with you! We have nothing except one pair of 1yo overalls my MIL got for us. She also wants to get us a stroller, but it's just too early for me. I'm really superstitious, so probably won't get anything for a while yet. I figure we have at least a few more months to figure this out...
April 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've only bought a few things this time around but we have just about everything from my other kids and the home daycare I ran for 6 years

This is what we have:
New carseat (our old one expired)
Strollers (we have 3 different ones LOL)
Crib and new bedding
Highchair
2 Pack n plays
Bassinet
Bouncy seat
Swing(love that it plugs in!)
Bumbo
Boppy
Breastfriend pillow
Medela double electric breast pump
Pacifiers
8 totes FULL of clothes for girl AND boy from newborn - size 4T!
Rocker/ottoman
3 cases of disposible diapers
Bibs/blankets/burp clothes etc.

We do still have a couple things to get:
New bottles if I can't find our old ones
A couple extra crib sheets
A special blanket just for this baby
Breastpads
Breast milk storage bags
Medicines (tylenol, motrin, gripe water, gas drops)
Baby bath/shampoo / powder / diaper rash cream/ etc.

That's about it for us
My main thing is I need to get it all organized

April 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a 9 month old so I have a lot of baby stuff already. I just need new tubing for my breast pump, bottles, and some extra clothing(I have some boy stuff, but if it's a girl I will have to buy everything new).

April 11th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we have:

pack and play
bouncy seats
carseat
swing
exersaucer and jumparoo
highchair
mobile
rock n play (borrowing from a friend)
some diapers I've bought on sale
ergo carries and baby bjorn
sling wrap
pump
some bottles (I need to take inventory)
all the blankets and clothes if this one is a girl
dishwasher baskets for bottles

I ust need a changing table for the nusey
my glider back from my SIL
boys clothes and blankets (if this one is a boy)
nursing stuff (pads, lanolin, etc)

I feel pretty good now. I'm havng a sprinkle shower so I'll get diapers, wipes and boy clothes (if needed) then I'm sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search