Peanut Butter???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 1 Post By Amari

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You would think the immunologist would have a firm opinion about this - but what is your take on eating peanut butter during pregnancy? If this is not your first, did you eat it last time? Are your kids allergic?? The DH firmly believes I should steer clear - I guess he read some stuff on the internet. And my mom ate PB&J sandwiches all during her pregnancy with my bro & sis - and they are both allergic to all legumes (but my Dad is also allergic to shellfish & treenuts...so I think for them it was more genetic).

What's your opinion?? And is there an easy app listing all the foods you can't eat???

Oh - and BTW - I'm in a much better place today! My energy is back & I'm in a sunshiny mood!!! Be prepared for lots of exclamation points and emoticons

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

April 12th, 2012, 05:27 AM
I ate peanut butter during my pregnancy with my son. i didn't have morning sickness but one of the dr's where i go told me that a tablespoon of pb every morning before you got up helps with morning sickness. my son doesn't care too much for pb now but he isn't allergic.
April 12th, 2012, 05:31 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
haha - you are so cute - love the emoticons and exclaimation marks comment

I had gestational diabetes (GD) with Mallory. I went to see a dietician to make sure I was keeping it under control and one of the main things they told me TO eat is peanut butter (lots of protein, so it cancels out the carbs in it, type thing) - So I ate it almost every day, once I found out I had GD (4 months before my DD). I didn't eat a huge portion, just on some celery or apples as one of my snacks. I think it's perfectly fine if you, yourself, do not have a nut allergy.

If you DO have a nut allergy, it's probably best to steer clear, obviously, for your own sake.

However, if it runs in your or your DH's family - some people say to steer clear, while I've read another article that says if you consume it, your child is LESS likey to develop an allergy because they are exposed to it. So, it's up in the air to me.

My sister has mild nut allergies (itchy mouth if she eats them) - but she didn't eat them during pregnancy and/or breastfeeding and either one of her sons has a nut allergy. Weirdly, peanuts are the only ones that don't make her itch.

So, I think it's perfectly safe if you love the stuff Great source of protein for us mommies-to-be.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

Last edited by *Leah*; April 12th, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
April 12th, 2012, 05:47 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They still really haven't gotten a clear understanding of what determines which allergy a child will havw. It is determined by genetics but they don't know why. As a child i was allergic to everything. At one point all i could eat was plain, baked pork and plain baked potatoes. As an adult I can eat what I was not able to before but I may have a reaction. Pg can also induce new allergies that disappear with delivery. Out of 3 kids only my youngest has food allergies. I do have Fibromyalgia and there are now studies that link food allergies & Fibro. It doesent matter what you eat during pg.....if the child is going to have allergies there isint anything you can do to prevent it but you can't also cause them to have allergies.

April 12th, 2012, 05:52 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ate it, Becky, and Marlowe is fine. She too loves PB.
So I think the real question you need to ask yourself is, "Chunky or Smooth?"
April 12th, 2012, 05:53 AM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
I ate peanut butter all the time when I was prego before and my DS doesn't have any allergies. I don't think that has anything to do with it.
April 12th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowesMum View Post
I ate it, Becky, and Marlowe is fine. She too loves PB.
So I think the real question you need to ask yourself is, "Chunky or Smooth?"

I ate it with Hannah as well, and she is just fine, and loves peanut butter.... I agree with Marlow... Chunky or Smooth?

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

April 12th, 2012, 05:59 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I have some food allergies (chocolate, tree nuts, and shell fish), and it's not because my mom ate them while she was pregnant with me, it's because I have some autoimmune issues. If I couldn't eat peanut butter while pregnant or nursing, I think I'd go crazy. I have peanuts or peanut butter as a daily snack
April 12th, 2012, 06:07 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Popping in from the Sept DDC, but just wanted to say that I've lived on PB throughout my pregnancies, including this one, and my three boys are fine and have no nut allergies and are quite the fans of PB themselves, LOL. My MW said the research really isn't clear and it's really only recommended to avoid if a sibling of yours or DH and possibly a parent has peanut allergies. Even then, there's no conclusive research and actually she told me there's some opposing research that shows the exposure from mom eating it could prevent a nut allergy in the child (sort of like exposure to germs builds immunity), so it's really mixed. I wouldn't avoid if there's no known issues in your siblings with allergies to nuts, even if your dad is. Of course, the safest thing is to call your dr to address it first!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 12th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Now granted I was pregnant 7 years ago when I was pregnant but at the Health department they had a sign saying a tablespoon of peanut butter could give you the extra calories you needed during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I think they were trying to help women see it wont be a huge expense. I had peanut butter when I was pregnant and my daughter doesnt have allergies. It seems the list of dont's gets longer every year for pregnant mommies!

Edited to say: BUT every mom should depend on their own instincts!

April 12th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Chunky it is then!!! My plan is not to eat it everyday (like my mom did) - but once in a while should be fine. I have absolutely zero reaction to it - but my brother and sister are severely allergic. I'll ask the OB next week to make sure

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

April 12th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was actually wondering this same question, so just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the feedback! I don't think I could give it up completely (I tend to rather enjoy my PB&J), but I'm glad to see it may not make a difference at all.

Always remembering our angel babies - 4/2011 (ectopic), 4/2012 (chemical) and
Angel Twins 5/23/14 (at 7 weeks 2 days)

April 12th, 2012, 08:46 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
I have some food allergies (chocolate, tree nuts, and shell fish),

Well crap, Lucy. There goes the almond lobster chocolate cake I was going to make for you.
But seriously, that sucks. I love all of those things in no particular order.
April 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Megan30's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just glad you're feeling bouncier and happier!
April 12th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
I love peanut butter pregnant or not pregnant and i dont think eating it will affect anything regarding the child.

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

April 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Amari's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ate peanut butter everything with my last two, I mean, I fit the stuff in at every meal. They both eat it now and are fine, they had it for dinner tonight!
Diamond2009 likes this.

April 12th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Veteran
I looove peanut butter!! I ate it while pregnant with DD and she is fine and LOVES peanut butter!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search