Thrifty Thursday

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By crystalcherry
  • 1 Post By crystalcherry

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2012, 07:14 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Do you have any money saving tips for pregnancy or baby stuff?

April 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't buy something just because every magazine says you need it! Baby stuff is just like elctronics....what's the best today will be outdated tomorrow.
** Tay ** likes this.

April 12th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Regular
I love this idea! Although I don't have any tips, I do have a question.

What is everyone's take on convertible cribs? Do you think it will save money in the long run?

Expecting our First! Due Dec 4th, 2012
Nicole (me) 30, DH 27. Married >3 years.

1st Ultrasound 4/12 - Heartbeat 141! Measured 6w0d
2nd Ultrasound 5/24 - Heartbeat 153! Measured 12w4d, NT Scan looks good.
April 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM
jacesmomma's Avatar Veteran
LOVE this idea! Hubs and I are trying to buy a house next year as we're getting out of the Army and trying to save money, especially with peanut on the way!

April 12th, 2012, 08:06 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the same crib with all of my kids and I think each of them may have slept one night a piece in it. It was just so much easier to have them in bed with us. Now I still have an almost 3 year old in the bed and if give the chance the other 2 will sneak in there. So if you plan on spending big money on a crib make sure you are really going to use it.
jenncez likes this.

April 12th, 2012, 08:53 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
-Buy used!
-Craigslist is great for baby accessories like swings, pack-n-plays, nursery furniture (minus car seats and cribs can be a little sketchy unless you know what you are looking for)
-Make your own clothes, blankets, baby carriers, diapers if you know how to sew
-use cloth diapers!
-breastfeed (so much cheaper than formula!)
April 13th, 2012, 05:59 AM
ash29nc's Avatar Super Mommy
I.agree about not spending alot on baby stuff, after 3.kids ive discorved the must haves. 1 a pack an play with bassinet attachment, and a bouncie. Swings never interested my others an baby beds are so big,baby is to tiny to sleep in it.

April 13th, 2012, 06:07 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I agree with buy used. My must-haves for new were the crib and car seat. Things like the swing, exersaucer, toys, we got from craigslist or consignment.

Shop clearance. I did great buying my DDs clothes a year in advance shopping clearance. I got clearance prices that were better than buying consignment for her clothes. However, it helped that her size has always followed her age pretty closely, I lucked out on that.

Breastfeeding definitely saved me money, I pumped at work and I know my pump (although expensive) was cheaper than a year of formula.

Amazon Mom used to be the best deal I could find on diapers with subscribe and save, but they have since lowered the discount so it may not be anymore. A blog I follow on facebook, Baby Cheapskate, comes out with a list each week of the best diaper deals, taking into account sales and coupons.

You really don't need as much stuff as you think you might. Just because someone else has 3 swings, every activity center you can think of, and 5 playmats doesn't mean you need that many

Someone asked about convertible cribs... I didn't see too many non convertible cribs when I was looking, so we got one. We will convert it to the toddler bed, but then it will probably be passed along to the next kiddo so we may not truly convert it all the way to using it for the full size headboard and footboard.

April 13th, 2012, 12:30 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
**BUY USED! Garage sales and Craigslist... Also look for Kids Consignment sales in your area... we have big ones here a few times a year and I get TONS of good stuff
Oh, and Kids Consignment stores too!

**Sign up for Babysteals and Kidsteals.... Like a groupon of kid gear - they run a couple deals a day and Ive purchased quite a few things

**BREASTFEED!!!!!!!!!

**I buy tons on Amazon... if you sign up for Amazon Mom (or Prime) its free the first year and then $79 a year and you get savings on diapers and shipping.

**You really dont NEED a lot of things they say you HAVE TO HAVE.
A couple of our musts were:
Swing
Carseat
Bumbo
Stroller

DID NOT USE:
changing table.... i found i changed her anywhere... and rarely used ours - i was glad I bought a shortish dresser and a "topper" type thing to put the contour pad in.
Diaper Genie - Stinks... no matter how often you change it.... we just threw them away after changings.

We have a 4-way convertible crib and I love it... DD now uses it as a toddler daybed and its fantastic. We haven't decided yet if we will give the new baby the crib or if we will be buying a new one... But if we buy another one, it will definitely be convertible,.

Last edited by ** Tay **; April 13th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search