Mini Fridge?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By momma_d
  • 1 Post By AmyT
  • 1 Post By MrsTiffy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2012, 07:39 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had a few ladies at work mention that it is very helpful for them to have a mini fridge in their room or the baby's for over night feedings. They said it is especially helpful when the bedrooms are on the second floor, which I have.

I have never heard of this. Do any of you ladies do do that or heard of it?

Ashley
Ashley
April 17th, 2012, 07:46 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I personally EBF for a year, so I never had to prepare anything for overnight feedings. Maybe some of the bottle feeding mommies can give you more guidance on this. My thought is that the baby will most likely want it warmed, so depending on how you do this, you may be walking around to the kitchen or sink to warm the bottle, regardless. It may be a small convenience to have it if you pre-prepare the over night bottles and don't need to warm them, but if you will warm them, you'll have to be up out of the bed and moving around for some amount of preparation, KWIM? I guess it couldn't hurt, though? I know some women who had their water prepared in the bottles and sat them by the bedside so they were room temp, and then added the powder to the room temp bottles so that it was not too cold and the baby would take it.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

April 17th, 2012, 07:49 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto Katie, I wouldn't need one, but I can see the convenience if you are formula feeding.

I would like a bathroom down here where out living room is, we have a rough in, but a rough in does not a toilet make - lol!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

April 17th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never had a mini fridge in our bedroom, but I can see how it would be helpful for bottle feeding mommies. It is an easy way to store pre-made bottles closer to you and baby for those middle of the night feedings. However, you would still need to warm the bottles.

There are also zipper pouches you can purchase that store 2-3 bottles and include ice packs that keep the bottles cold throughout the night. Those sort of offer the same convenience

April 17th, 2012, 08:12 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be EBF so no need here. Even if i was using formula i wouldn't get one because we don't have space in our room but i could see how it might be useful so you don't always have to go up and down the stairs.

April 17th, 2012, 08:43 AM
GeekLover11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies.. I was just surprised to hear that because I never thought of it One of them even had a microwave on top.. I just thought it sounded a little strange, but I guess I could understand the convenience

Ashley
Ashley
April 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM
InnocentDevil's Avatar Super Mommy
It wouldn't make much sense to me... You'd still have to get up to warm the bottle.

April 17th, 2012, 09:29 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it would only make sense to me if you had the microwave too! I couldn't see feeding my newborn a cold bottle. I have heard of people doing it, though. I still think breastfeeding is way more convenient than all of that hassle! But for someone who can't breastfeed, I guess it would make sense.
Enitsirk and GeekLover11 like this.

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

April 20th, 2012, 03:54 PM
AmyT's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We actually have a mini fridge in our room, but it's for DH's can drinks and bottle water. We never had one for the babies. For us we started from the begining (of using formula), using room temp water to make the bottles so we never had to worry about if there was a place to heat the water! If was wonderful. We would just keep a bottle of water on the nightstand (or diaperbag), and a can of powder formula, and we could mix it with no issues.
InnocentDevil likes this.

April 20th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I could go for a mini fridge in my room, but not for baby stuff. I would put drinks and snacks in there for me. I think that would help me with the night feedings. I am trying to convince my dh to get me an electric teapot, so I can have a cup of tea for the night feedings.
Enitsirk likes this.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

April 20th, 2012, 07:27 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLover11 View Post
I have had a few ladies at work mention that it is very helpful for them to have a mini fridge in their room or the baby's for over night feedings. They said it is especially helpful when the bedrooms are on the second floor, which I have.

I have never heard of this. Do any of you ladies do do that or heard of it?

Yes, I used my old college dorm mini fridge when I visited my parents. Guest rooms are on the 2nd floor opposite side of the house. In our old house the fridge was next to the master bedroom so not needed. I could really use one now. Kitchen is upstairs. It also helps to pre-make the night bottles before bed so you don't have to measure, find bottles, and shake. My son wakes between 1-6 times a night. He used to wake 10-20 times a night.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
April 21st, 2012, 05:43 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
No need! I've never had to 'prepare a night feed.'

Don't you have to heat up a bottle anyway?

April 21st, 2012, 02:07 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We only heat up his bottles in the begining. After that he got it cold and never cared.
Jace was drinking as many as 6 four oz bottles a night and still goes through 1-6 eight oz bottles a night, so preparing them ahead of time made my life SOOOO much easier.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
April 21st, 2012, 02:29 PM
proudmomtoEthan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to proudmomtoEthan
You don't even need a fridge,lol. Get bottled water, formula and a bottle warmer and you are set for night feeding. Make the bottle when the baby wakes up. I have a two story house and will be doing just that for night feedings.
April 21st, 2012, 07:33 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTiffy View Post
I could go for a mini fridge in my room, but not for baby stuff. I would put drinks and snacks in there for me. I think that would help me with the night feedings. I am trying to convince my dh to get me an electric teapot, so I can have a cup of tea for the night feedings.
As someone who EBF her first and was always starving and so very thirsty while nursing- this was the first use I thought of for a mini fridge!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search