Solids

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By downunderchick

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2012, 04:44 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
So they say you should start solids between 4-6 months. Some of us will follow the doctors reccomendations and start with cereal and then move on to veggies and fruit last. Some of us will start the second baby is 4 months, others will wait until they feel baby is ready and others wait even longer than 6 months. Where are you on this list. Without judgement of other Mommies decisions about it of course. I figured this was a good Question seeing as quite a few of our babies were born in December and so are 4 months now.

With my first I did it all on schedule (at the time it was this way anyways) cereal at 4 months, veggies at 5 and then fruit at 6. With my second he was not interested in solids at all and didn't eat them until close to 6 months. With my third he was about 5 months when I felt he was ready so I started him then. I will start Bella when I think she is ready but I honestly think it will be sooner rather than later. She now cries if she isnt at the table with us during meals and is feeding every 5 minutes for the last month so I doubt it is a month long growth spurt.
April 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Good question! With my boys, I started my oldest on cereal early. The dr recommended it! It was probably around two months. At the time, I did exactly what the doctor said or suggested. With my second boy, I waited until about four months to do cereal.

This time around, I'm going to try to wait until closer to six months. Baby girl loves BFing, so we will try that exclusively until closer to six months.

April 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll probably do little Jo the way I did my other kids, start with the cereal at 4 months & slowly work through the different grains, then veggies at 6 months starting dark green to orange/yellow then a month or so later add fruits. My others are good non-picky eaters that love their veggies. I don't know if it has anything with how I introduced solids or the fact that we don't eat junk food.

April 23rd, 2012, 01:28 AM
Super Mommy
Actually, "they" do not say 4-6 months anymore. The new recommendation is 6 months; the AAP says no solids until 6 months of age.
Wife to Jerry and mom to Drew (18), Hannah (15), Luke (8), Grace (4), Owen (just turned 2), and expecting Baby #6 in August 2014
April 23rd, 2012, 06:23 AM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole_Baby5 View Post
Actually, "they" do not say 4-6 months anymore. The new recommendation is 6 months; the AAP says no solids until 6 months of age.
It depends on where you live too. I am Canadian and though currently the reccomendation is 6 months they also state that a baby is ready when they are around 13 lbs and have reached certain milestones ie: no longer push things out of their mouth with their tongue, can put hands together and reach for a spoon when it is offered. I also have a few friends with babies under 6 months who have had their peds reccomend cereal at 4 months stating that the guidelines may change again. I am not basing my decision on a guideline that often changes and instead will offer solids when I feel my baby is ready.
April 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I will start Mallory when she shows the signs Sarah listed above. With Leila that was close to 6 months old and with Owen it was at about 5 1/2 months old. We moved at their pace...no real set order for introduction and nothing forced. Leila didn't really start eating "meals" until around 11 months old and Owen was about 10 months old...meaning they eat more than just a couple bites of something before declining anymore. Neither ate more than one "meal" until well past 18 months old. They have just preferred their Momma's milk. We will do the same with Mallory pretty much but she may have more interest in food with me going to work or school in the fall.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

April 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
ladybugwoods's Avatar Super Mommy
Well with son1 , I was clueless and honestly cant remember when he started on food. But with son2 I was more informed and wanted to wait as long as possible. The doctor had to tell me ITS TIME! lol I think he was nearing 7mon. and going through a lot of formula. With this new baby .... we think she moves a bit fast. She just started on cereal a few days ago. So far so good! She likes to hold a spoon while I feed her its really cute
April 25th, 2012, 04:19 AM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
Probably between 5-6 months depending where we are developmentally. He is very interested in what we eat already LOL

<3

<3
May 24th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
not until at least 6 months and he shows signs of being ready, as per the WHO guidelines
Mrs. Harris likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search