Marjorri Christine 4/8

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
At the request of my cousin...here’s Marjorri’s birth story.

Friday April 6, 2012
I noticed contractions coming every 6-10 minutes (my guess) around 11am, I did well to ignore them and went on with my day. My sister in law, Vivien and I went to Wal-Mart, out to lunch and for a 3 mile walk that afternoon. I began having regular contractions around 11pm. I called Kristin to come keep my company and help me through contractions as needed. We’d labor an hour or two and check Marjorri’s heart rate with a stethoscope, and keep an eye on my blood pressure with a blood pressure cuff I’d purchased at Wal-Mart.

Saturday April 7, 2012
Around 3am the contractions felt as though they were stalling out, so everyone napped while we waited for them to return. We were able to sleep for about an hour and a half before my contractions returned and I couldn’t sleep anymore. Napping during labor was strange to me, I would wake up and think we’d been asleep for hours and hours..only to realize it wasn’t that long. I ate some breakfast and went back to focusing on labor some more. I took hot showers, did lunges, squats, used my exercise ball and took the rest of my black and blue cohosh. Yuck!

We went through the day and around 1pm my in laws came over. We’d planned to celebrate Jack’s birthday that day (He’d turned 4 on April 3), so my mother in law baked a cake and brought gifts. We’d given Jack a trampoline, so they spent a few hours outside jumping, playing and what not...while Kristin and I continued to focus on my labor inside. I remember being in the bathtub and thinking that labor was doable...”not so bad.” I got out, went upstairs and took a short nap, until Clint came and brought Kristin and I dinner. We’d had Jet’s Pizza two nights in a row. Clint was finally able to assist everyone in gathering things for the boys to stay with my in laws, and they left. This was sometime around 4-5pm. After that things got more and more intense. By 9pm, I was in active labor. No doubt about it. I even bit Clint during a contraction once. I had a couple contractions while sitting on the toilet, and oh my god...worse pain ever, or so I thought. After that I stayed in the bathtub for a long time, attempting to coax Marjorri further down and willing my cervix to dilate and get the show on the road! I was tired and wanted nothing more for Marjorri to be here. I wanted to hold her so badly. At some point, I wanted to push during my contractions, so I did. I protested getting out of the tub several times, but we needed to check Marjorri’s heart rate again. So we went upstairs to check on her. Kristin said that we needed to go to the hospital...so we grab some clothes and the camera and head on out.

Sunday April 8, 2012
I have no idea what time we got to the hospital. I kept telling Kristin to hurry...not sure why, being that I didn’t want an epidural (that is until I was screaming for one!). We get to the hospital and it takes what feels like forever for the transport guy to get to the ER. You had to go through the ER to get to L&D depending on the time of day. The woman at triage ended up taking me half way there, because the guy was taking his sweet time. We get to L&D and they ask me all kinds of questions. Is your water broken? When did labor start? Who’s your care provider? Insurance? Birthday? You’ve had 2 Cesareans? And you’re planning a VBAC? Yeah, yeah, yeah...just huuuurrry up already! Owe owe oh my god...owe. We FINALLY get into a birthing room and they want me to pee in a cup! Hahaha! Yeah, right...pee in a cup during a contraction, NOT! I got to skip that step, thankfully. I get my gown on and climb into bed, where I knew I’d be doomed to reside for...ever. At this point my contractions were close together...every 2-3 minutes if I had to guess. My mind is just gone. I couldn’t focus through the pain, it was ridiculous. I’m checked and am a 3. A FREAKING 3. I was thinking more along the lines of 9...but nope, my cervix was dilating in a **** funnel shape. I had MAJOR back labor and after talking about my pain management options, chose the epidural. I didn’t want an epidural, but it was explained to me over and over that the epidural was the only thing that would take away the back labor. Back labor = Burning Firey Death in Hell’s Hell. Several contractions later, I finally get the epidural. Before getting the epidural the contractions were so intense my body was pushing involuntary during each one. I didn’t know what to do but go with it, but I was worried that if I was only 3cm dilated and prehaps 9-10cm at the top, near Marjorri’s head...then as Marjorri decended that I’d swell my cervix.

At some point during this whole thing..I don’t remember if it was before or after the epidural, but the midwife comes in and says she needs to put a monitor on the baby’s head...because of some heart rate issues. So she breaks my water and I lay in this puddle of ...recycled baby pee while they change the sheets and what not. There was also question about my blood pressure (which they said was low...something like 88/something and that’s not normal for me), as well as Marjorri’s heart rate which was staying steady, and they said that during labor it should rise and fall, rise and fall.

They decided to check me again and I’m dilated to a 4. Yay...ooor not?! I was dilated to a 4 but Marjorri’s heart rate wasn’t reacting to the contractions or having her head touched during cervical checks. There was something about dehydration, which made me cry because drinking made me feel sick. No matter what I drank, but juice was easier to get down...not the best thing when you’re dehydrated. So I start crying and thinking that I’ve done something horribly wrong. The midwife goes to talk to the OB and they agreed that Marjorri needed to be delivered. It wasn’t an emergency per say, but they thought she wouldn’t be able to endure the rest of labor/delivery for a vaginal birth. The midwife was really supportive of my plans and said that they weren’t wanting this to go this way, just because I’d had 2 previous Cesareans. So...into the operating room I go. Clint and Kristin had suited up and were waiting for me to ready. Only, I find out later that Kristin isn’t allowed in, because of some moronic surgical staff.

They wheel me into the OR and I notice that there are 3 large lights above the table and light green tiles on the walls. The anesthesiologist comes over and asks me if I can put myself on the table. I just stared at him and waited for someone else to do it. I could barely move my legs anyway. I’m put on the table and glance to my left. I probably shouldn’ thave done that...because they were laying out the 85 different tools for the surgery. I had to look away, because it reminded me of an episode of House where he sterilized his bathroom and stole surgical instruments from the hospital. He was trying to remove tumors from his leg by himself! There were TONS of scissors and clamps laid out on a table in that bathroom. Crreeepy! So, I get all laid out on the table and the anethisiologist tells me that he’s going to give me a little bit of medication to help numb me, but I’ll still be able to feel things. What?? FEEL THINGS? Oh hell no buddy, give me drugs...NOW! I lay there and watch the nurse put iodine on my belly, then the curtain goes up. I feel lots of pulling and tugging and I swear it hurts. I ask for drugs and get a sedative. Clint sits beside me, holding my hand and I just stare. I don’t know what the surgeon did, but in the beginning of the surgery I could feel tugging along my scar, but you could hear a tap tap tap, like he was chiseling away my scar or something. A few maybe painful tugs, pulls and nudges later and eventually I hear my baby cry. Marjorri Christine was born at 10:06am, 8#3oz and 21 inches long. Clint said it took her awhile cry and that she’d had her cord around her neck. She’s brought to me and I get to hold her, in the OR! After that Clint, Kristin and Marjorri go to the nursery and at some point I’m wheeled into recovery. Being in recovery took forever, because the nursing staff didn’t want to stop their personal conversations. I get hooked up to a morphine pump and get to see Marjorri and nurse for the first time. One of the nurses came in and apologized for Kristin being absent in the OR, that apparently wasn’t supposed to happen. I was also told that I’d lost a leter of blood during surgery.

After I was brought back to postpartum, I was able to hold and nursing Marjorri some more. A few hours later I was able to convince the nurse to unplug all my wires and let me shower. She said that wasn’t usual for Cesarean patients. I told her this was my 3rd one and the best thing to help me heal was to get up, get moving and shower.

For anyone who's wondering what it's like to labor/deliver with a doula. For me, it was one of the best services I've ever paid for. I couldn't have asked for a better doula than Kristin. She was amazing in her knowledge and support. She and my husband stayed up long hours and helped me more than I could have imagined during my labor. I don't think I've ever felt more loved and nurtured. This is an experience I couldn't have done without my husband and Kristin.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

April 20th, 2012, 07:39 PM
adi&co.
I'm sorry it didn't go according to plan but I'm glad she's here and healthy! congrats!
April 20th, 2012, 09:37 PM
abmommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Happy and healthy, thats all that matters! Thanks for sharing! Congrats!!
DD 3
DS baby!

April 21st, 2012, 06:38 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad that she was able to pick her birthday and you were able to labor. I'm sorry that plans didn't turn out the way you hoped. CONGRATS on having your daughter!!!

=May '05 and '11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search