Baby Girl's Not So Epic Tale (4/19), A Story in Three Acts

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By Shadeauxe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2012, 04:27 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
This is long and might have TMI for some folk (sharing this link on facebook). Also, there may be typos. I have not edited it yet. I can't believe it's taken me this long just to get the time to post it in the first place. Enjoy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Act I - Prologue
Tuesday morning I had my final OB appointment. I was told I was 3cm dilated (this was apparently not true) and had my induction scheduled for Friday. I felt crampy after the appointment and started having irregular contractions. Tuesday night, I thought about maybe going in, but didn't think the contractions were regular enough, so I decided to try to sleep and see how I felt in the morning.

Act II - Action!
When I woke up Wednesday morning, everything was pretty much the same. I'd also been having some bleeding, so I figured I would go in to the hospital and see what they thought. Traffic in Massachusetts is crazy sometimes, so to eliminate this I figured we'd go in early, they'd tell me to wait longer and I'd just hang out in the area until stuff started picking up.

When they checked me, they discovered that my water had broken and that I was maybe 2cm dilated. I hadn't noticed because I've had a horrible cough for a couple of weeks which makes me pee a lot. So, since my water was broken and they didn't know when it had happened, they said they were going to admit me and start me on pitocin to make labor progress.

The contractions did pick up but they weren't terribly regular or strong. They hadn't been doing any internal exams because of the water being broken and wanting to minimize the risk of infection. They just wanted to let the contractions be the guide of when stuff was progressing. Eventually, 13 hours after starting the pitocin, they decided to do an internal check. No progress. So, it was a long, boring day full of 80's movies and almost no food except for my husband sneaking me some crackers from the kitchen.

Luckily, the awesome nurse let me order some food so I could eat before they started me on miso-something (cervix ripener). After she gave me the medicine, which was two of the tiniest pills I'd ever seen), we both tried to get some sleep. Thanks to my wonderful cough, my husband was more successful than I was at the sleeping part than I was.

The next morning, they started me on pitocin again and it was definitely working a lot better than the previous day. Around lunchtime, the contractions started being too painful to talk through and were radiating into my legs, so I had them set up the tub to see if that would help. The tub was nice, but it wasn't like it made me forget that I was in labor or anything. Without knowing how far I was progressing, it was hard to decide whether to keep going without the epidural or not. So, the nurse checked me and said I was only 4cm dilated. It was very disappointing to say the least.

I decided to get the epidural, because I thought it would be hours until delivery and I wasn't going to make it at the current pain level. I think by 2:30 the epidural was in and had taken effect. My legs felt the same way your lips/cheeks feel at the dentist when you're having a cavity filled. So, I kept poking myself in the leg because it was fun and I am weird.

The nurse checked me again and I had gone from 4cm to 10cm in an hour. I guess that explains why the contractions were so painful. We did test pushes through two contractions and she felt like we should get the doctor. The doctor came in and everyone got everything all set up and I pushed through two more contractions and out popped the baby. They were all amazed at how fast she came out, especially considering that she was larger and facing up. I was surprised too, but mainly because I couldn't feel any of my muscles, so when they told me to push, I was really just willing it to happen with my mind. Also, my coughing helped squeeze her out, so there was that too. I had a small 2nd degree tear, but I didn't feel it.

She was born at 3:14 PM and weighed 8lbs 1oz and is 21 inches long. I still don't get why anyone cares how long the baby is, but there is the info for those of you who crave to know such things.

She looked like a blueberry (think Violet from Willy Wonka), but she was crying and everything else was good. She pinked up pretty quickly. I don't know why she doesn't have a cone head, but I am not complaining. She started nursing immediately too, which was awesome.

Act III - Epilogue
I still don't know who she looks like and we haven't officially chosen a middle name, but she's very adorable and sweet. This works in her favor because she also only likes to sleep on people, mainly me. I can't get anything else done like taking pictures or posting on here.

We are both doing very well and I have almost no pain. Just cramps. She eats like a maniac and is very snuggly.

Pictures:

Last edited by Shadeauxe; July 11th, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
April 21st, 2012, 06:32 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a crazy few days!!! CONGRATS Courtney!! She's SO adorable!!! Thanks for sharing pics of her!!!

=May '05 and '11

April 21st, 2012, 06:57 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very, Very happy for you!!

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 21st, 2012, 07:15 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!!! I am sooooo happy for you! She's beautiful!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

April 21st, 2012, 07:26 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
She is so beautiful Courtney! Congrats on your pretty little girl!

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
April 21st, 2012, 07:31 AM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
So sweet! Congrats!

April 21st, 2012, 07:32 AM
Cait&AngelAbove's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! She is beautiful!!!

Thank you so much Bokkechick for the perfect siggie!!!
12-10-10 2-6-12
April 21st, 2012, 08:20 AM
mom2moose
Awesome story! I was numb too when I had to push. You have a stronger mind than me I guess, because it took me 25 minutes and he was also face up. She looks gorgeous and I can't wait to hear her middle name!!
April 21st, 2012, 09:53 AM
kzoo1280's Avatar Kristin...TTC #1!
Courtney, she is so gorgeous! I hope I can push mine out as fast as you did! Congratulations, you have beautiful kids!

Married May 2009

April 21st, 2012, 10:41 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Wow is she gorgeous! So glad to hear it went smoothly and that her cuteness makes up for her neediness right now
April 21st, 2012, 01:31 PM
Super Mommy
Congrats, she's beautiful!

April 21st, 2012, 03:39 PM
.:Shortcake:.'s Avatar ♬♪Music Soothes my Soul♪♬
She is adorable Thank you for sharing your story!!!!

My Angels- 12-15-08 @ 13w3d♥ 05-09 @ 6w2d♥ & 2 Early Losses♥ Twins 9-7-10♥ & 10-2-10 ♥ 2/11/11

Want a siggy in a hurry? Check out my Siggy Express Lane
My blog

April 21st, 2012, 05:33 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
Congrats on your little girl! She is so super cute. Thanks for sharing the story and photos

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
April 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!!! So gorgeous

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
April 23rd, 2012, 08:05 AM
Pitridge's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!!!
Sorry I didn't get to read this until today. She's gorgeous!!!!!

April 23rd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Clutch's Avatar First Timer
She's beautiful! Congrats
April 23rd, 2012, 12:11 PM
adi&co.
She doesn't have a cone head because she wasn't in the birth canal very long! Neither Gemma or Jamesen had a cone head. Marcus had a tiny bit of one but only because they had to use the forcepts on me. it's nice not having a cone head baby She really is a very pretty baby and that second pic with your son is too cute!
April 26th, 2012, 09:52 AM
JenJen3574's Avatar Super Mommy
Congrats! She looks very snuggly and your son is adorable too.
Once a decade, right?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search