Solids?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By BoobyDutyAgainJen
  • 1 Post By cynb

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2012, 10:31 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Anyone planning on starting them soon or already start them? What is your method?

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

April 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM
-3-Hearts's Avatar She's Country.....
Maybe in another month. He's a week away from being 4mths, and we usually make an attempt once they hit 5 months. if they arent ready, we wait till 6mths then go from there. we will probably start with green veggies and work our way up to fruits.

<3

<3
April 29th, 2012, 02:30 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Joseph is getting rice cereal in each bottle now. I would have preferred to wait, but it became medically necessary. I told his pedi that he would often choke on his bottles and even just his saliva. He also had a persistent cough that was unrelated to any illness, the doctors kept saying it was due to his reflux. Mommy instinct knew better. He was still using preemie nipples after all and still choking!

So his pedi ordered a swallow function study to be done. We had to do it in two parts to be able to do it before the end of June. So we went just over a week ago for the first part, a visual observation. The doctor noticed immediately that he was getting pink around his eyes and nose and that his eyes were getting watery. He was aspirating his formula and we didn't even know it because we didn't know there were signs to look for. So a few days later we had the second part done. This time a live X-ray video while he drank barium mixed to the same consistency as his formula. Almost immediately he began to aspirate with almost every swallow and what was really scary? He displayed zero signs that it was happening. It was terrifying to watch. We walked out of there and I immediately burst into tears. The doctors were amazed that he hadn't yet gotten pneumonia at the least, or worse.

It turned out that he did not aspirate on the "half-nectar" consistency while still using the preemie nipple. They gave us two options for thickening his formula. One is a gel that is made of some gum something (or something gum, I can't remember), the other being rice cereal. We opted for the gel, but realized after a few bottles that he had a constant rattle in his throat, like he couldn't get it to clear fully. Turns out the gel has corn product in it and many babies with a soy allergy...which he has...also have an allergy to corn. So we had to start with the cereal. He's been having it in each bottle and has, thank God, been doing fantastically!

Any other solids will be started later on. We've had enough on our hands already.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
April 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^^Wow, Michelle! Your little guy has had such a tough time! I'm so glad that you were able to get some answers. It sounds like he's on the right track now.

Val is approaching five months (where has the time gone?!) on the 12th. Just tonight we tried a bit of cereal. It was okay-she's not too interested, so we will take it slow.

April 30th, 2012, 02:42 PM
sarahmomma's Avatar Momma to 4
She will be 4 months on the 6th and I would imagine we will start fairly soon. She is just feeding constantly all the time and isn't coming off the breast satisfied anymore. I feel like she is not getting enough from the breast alone and my hubby agrees so as soon as we have a few days of not having plans we will try her on a little bit but I dont want to start when we are already so busy with everything else.
April 30th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan on starting soon because he is very interested in everything that involves food. If he could he would just take that spoon and put it in his mouth

I think 2 weeks before I start.
April 30th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my dd will be 4mo in 3 days and i dont imagine starting solids anytime soon. She is perfectly happy breastfeeding. she is starting to watch us while we eat and looks kind of interested but she never seems unsatisfied with her meals. I dont see the need for starting before 6mo unless something changes from where we are now.
DD born 1/3/12

May 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I like to wait until around 8 months or so but we did try prunes a week ago since she was really backed up and that is what her pedi suggested. Her pedi also suggest apple juice but she would not drink it so we tried the prunes which was also a no go..she hated them and spit them out.
May 5th, 2012, 09:39 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
We will wait until around 6 months, as I did with both her sister and brother. We will go really slow, using more baby led solids than anything else. None of my kids have ever really been interested in eating food until they were closer to a year old and I am more than fine with being their primary source of nutrition for as long as they need.
downunderchick and Indymommy7 like this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

May 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM
heatherj101604's Avatar Super Mommy
I plan on starting introducing in the next couple weeks.. Dash will be 5 months on May 26th..lately he's been downing a little one 32 oz a day. I need to read more about it but Im thinking of skipping the cereal...not sure though any thoughts on that?
May 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
~Meg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jaxson is getting solids 2-3 times a day. Sometimes 1/2 a jar and sometimes a jar depending on how much he wants.

His GI doctor said since he does better on thickened bottles to try the solids. He only spits up very little on solids. He thought since he has had such a rough time keeping food down and is old enough to not reject it now, he should be eating them a few times a day. We just have to watch that his number of ounces doesn't drop. If it does then we have to toy with his bottles. If he drinks 4 oz then 3 scoops of formula instead of 2. He still needs that certain number of calories from formula or BM. ( we still nurse but only a few times a day since he chokes on it a lot) When I can I pump and thicken it.

May 10th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'm changing my answer LOL. Matthew wants to eat all. day. long now! Formula just isn't cutting it anymore, so I have a feeling that in the next couple weeks, he will be starting. I tried a little baby oatmeal cereal this morning to see where we are, and he is not doing the tongue thrust thing, so hopefully things will go fine. But, he didn't like the cereal LOL!

<3

<3
May 12th, 2012, 11:52 AM
cynb's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We won't introduce any until after 6 mos, maybe 8 mos? Depends, but my last two weren't interested in solids until they could eat table food.
downunderchick likes this.
May 18th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I'm new to the boards, a friend of mine highly recommended me chatting with some moms. My first question is When is the right time to start introducing baby foods? My baby girl will be 4 months old next week. My hubby likes to give her taste test of baby foods from the jar, carrots, peas, etc. and I get upset wit him because I think it's way too soon for that, she has been nursing and bottle feeding. Is it too soon for this? Or should I chill out and let him give her different tastes, she just spits it out right now.
May 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
If shes spitting it back out, its too early. She still has the tongue thrust reflex, meant to push things out of the mouth that dont belong lol.

<3

<3
May 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We fed Joseph pureed avocado today! It was his first time eating "real" food. He's four months and 1 week old and he did fantastic with it! No tongue thrusting or anything. He in fact ate so much he was grunting from being so full. The best you can do is try. If it just keeps coming back out, give it a little more time and try again.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
May 25th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Libby22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im starting solids around 5mths, Will try and leave it as long as I can. I will use baby food in the shop when I start then start making my own baby food for Ruby.

af came dec 18 Fri nz time, cycle 25

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search