Sleeping positions

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What positions are you sleeping in these days? We're not "big" enough in the belly area to worry about sleeping on our tummies (which is my fave way to sleep).

I Sort of sleep on my tummy with one leg pulled up and I tuck my arms under my pillow. With my last pregnancy, it was so hard to start sleeping on my sides! I recommend trying it early on to try to get used to it. Especially if you're like me and just have one specific position.

You're also not supposed to sleep on your back when your're far in to your pregnancy. Something about baby not getting enough blood flow because you're belly is so heavy. I can't remember when I stopped sleeping on my tummy the last time...but I'm pretty sure it was when I could actually feel a hard lump when I lay on my tummy. Then I felt like I'd squish the baby.

I know some women can sleep on their bellies the whole time and feel fine about it.

April 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
Im a back and side sleeper.. usually my side.. I've never liked sleeping on my tummy.. so I guess if anything, once I get further along, I'll have to cut out sleeping on my back

<3
April 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Yeah back is a no-no, apparently. I have one of those long (snake like) pregnancy pillows to help train myself to sleep on my sides.

April 29th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a tummy and side sleeper, but my boobs made it uncomfortable to sleep on my tummy weeks ago, and also sometimes I can feel my uterus if I'm laying on my tummy, so it's just better for me to sleep on my side. I'm already using a body pillow (not placing it correctly, just laying hugging it and with one leg thrown over it) so I'm sort of tummy sleeping, but kind of side sleeping. It's really just raising my tummy up a bit so I'm not squishing it.

April 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Super Mommy
Before I became pregnant I slept on my belly. As soon as I found out I was pregnant (from advice from others) I started sleeping on my side. Now I flip flop between left and right side.
April 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM
LindsayGriff
I sleep on half side have tummy. Kind of like others have said, I hug a pillow under my arm and I have my one leg half way pulled up so not completely on my stomach but not entirely on my side.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
April 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
I couldn't sleep on my belly since day one. It hurt my BBs and gives me a yucky tummy feeling. My OB told me not to worry about back-sleeping. She said it was unproven BS! lol
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
April 29th, 2012, 10:12 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sleep on my belly or my side. I couldn't sleep on my back comfortably when I was very pregnant with my girls, so even if it's not true that it's bad I still couldn't get comfy like that.

April 29th, 2012, 10:23 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I sleep mostly on my belly. I've been trying to sleep on my side but I always wake up on my belly.
April 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I'm a back sleeper all the way. I've never been able to sleep on my stomach. It bends my back the wrong way and kills it. I plan to sleep on my back until I get bigger, then I'll be sleeping on my side again with the pillow. I hate sleeping on my side though because my hips are always aching. Not looking forward to that at all.

April 29th, 2012, 11:47 AM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you are an adamant back sleeprer, get an inclined pillow. It props you up a bit so you aren't flat on your back. Did it with my first.

April 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I sleep half on my tummy, half on my side, and sometimes I throw one leg over DH's leg (he sleeps on his tummy) and use him as a body pillow I can feel my uterus when I lay on my tummy now
Belita likes this.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
April 29th, 2012, 12:33 PM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
I'm a tummy and side sleeper, but my boobs made it uncomfortable to sleep on my tummy weeks ago, and also sometimes I can feel my uterus if I'm laying on my tummy, so it's just better for me to sleep on my side. I'm already using a body pillow (not placing it correctly, just laying hugging it and with one leg thrown over it) so I'm sort of tummy sleeping, but kind of side sleeping. It's really just raising my tummy up a bit so I'm not squishing it.
What she said. 100% could've been my post!
Belita likes this.

April 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I sleep on my back some but mostly half tummy half side. That is usually most comfortable for me.
April 29th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I don't think that back sleeping is a problem until you get MUCH farther along. Best to sleep the way that makes you the most comfy while you can!

April 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Super Mommy
I toss and turn so will have to learn how to sleep on my side.
April 29th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Almondeyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Almondeyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayGriff View Post
I sleep on half side have tummy. Kind of like others have said, I hug a pillow under my arm and I have my one leg half way pulled up so not completely on my stomach but not entirely on my side.
I sleep just like this too. So comfy.

April 29th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't been able to sleep on my tummy since I had DS. Something about sleeping on my side while PG with him and then while cosleeping for nursing, and I just never went back to my tummy. For now I'm mostly a back sleeper, but always end up on my side later. So I went ahead and bought a small maternity pillow yesterday, and really enjoyed it last night. I kind of wish I had of gotten a big one since I always sleep alone with DH working late and not coming to bed until I get up for work, but the little one seems to work fine.

April 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Klopez87's Avatar Expecting #2
Before DS 4yrs ago I always slept the same exact way you currently sleep! On stomach hands under pillow and a leg bent lol but once I became pregnant I started sleeping on my side and ever since that's the only way I sleep now... My boobs always hurt after I had DS if I tried sleeping on my stomach...but since finding I was preggers this time around I went from 1 pillow to 4! 2 for my head, 1 in between my legs and my body pillow against the wall next to me in case I want to cuddle and to prevent me from rolling into the wall lol...good luck adjusting when you switch positions.
April 30th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used to only be able to sleep on my stomach, but a bunch of close pregnancies cured me of that! Now I sleep on my side, when not pregnant I sometimes sleep on my back but we have our 1yo in our bed and he is all over the place so the safest place is on my side facing away from him!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search