Tuesday Tips

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LindsayGriff
  • 1 Post By KatherineD
  • 1 Post By white.house

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2012, 06:59 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What BTDT moms: What is your biggest piece of advice to us first-timers?

May 1st, 2012, 07:01 AM
LindsayGriff
Trust your mommy instincts. When ever I watched other peoples kids I would never know when and what exactly they wanted when they cried. I didn't know when it was time for them to eat, maybe they were just wet, but when it is your own and you are around them all the time, you get to know their cues and their schedule and you can tell that their crying is from hungry or they are just overly tired and need rocked to sleep. Just listen to your instincts, you will know what to do.
Think4Yourself likes this.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
May 1st, 2012, 07:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would say the biggest thing is to "roll with the punches"... there are going to be things you swore you would never do that you end up doing and vice versa!

Another thing I would have liked to have someone tell me - while everyone's intentions are probably good, it is your baby and you can raise him/her the way YOU choose! Don't let anyone talk you into doing something simply because it worked for them... It might just not work for you!

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

May 1st, 2012, 07:15 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
Make sure you get your rest and take care of yourself. So many times moms forget about themselves and it's so important for everyone's happiness if you are taken care of!
kristap4 likes this.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

May 1st, 2012, 12:05 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Don't be afraid to ask for help in the first few weeks. And be specific when you ask for it because otherwise all people do is come over and hold the baby while you do the work that needs to be done. Been there, done that. From now on, when someone asks if there is something they can do, I say "why yes, there is, I could use help with x, y, and z."

May 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
newserenity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sleep whenever you can!

Spend as much time as you can with your significant other, the dynamic will be changed after you start having kids. Sometimes in wonderful ways, other times it will be a real test on your relationship.

Try not to worry too much and just do what comes natural, women have great maternal instincts- always trust your gut when it comes to your babies!

May 1st, 2012, 05:54 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't feel guilty if you need a break from the baby. I know I had a super hard time with that and I never even wanted to be away from her. Sometimes just running to the grocery store by yourself is a much needed break.

I still don't want too many breaks from her. She's 27 months old and we've never had a night away from each other, lol.

May 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
Don't forget to eat!!! When we came home from the hospital, I wasn't making myself a priority and I'd forget to eat. It would be 2pm and it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't eaten all day. I kind of feel like when I came home from the hospital that I forgot how to do things! There are so many more, but I know I'm going to remember that now!
May 1st, 2012, 08:12 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Sleep when baby sleeps!!!!!! And NEVER wake a sleeping baby! If they are hungry, they will wake up!

Also, don't feel like you need to "go by the book". Every baby, situation, mother, temperament, development, etc involved in the raising- a-child process is SO unique! Take bits and pieces of advice from those around you, books, and previous experiences and do what is best for YOU and BABY!
kristap4 likes this.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
May 1st, 2012, 09:04 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A couple of practical items:

If you pump breast milk, it can be left out safely on the counter for several hours (I've read anywhere from 4-10).

If you formula feed, use room temperature water and you need never know the hassle of heating up a bottle. When a baby is hungry, waiting for a bottle to heat up seems like an eternity.

May 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM
Country928's Avatar Marisa
This will be my second time, But im like a first timer since my first was unknown till delivery
May 2nd, 2012, 05:54 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Less is more. You don't need all that "stuff" that you think you do. The first time around we bought everything....wipes warmer, expensive diaper bags, giant changing table, etc. The second time I just carried my normal purse with a couple of diapers and a small pack of wipes thrown in, we changed the baby on the floor or couch, etc. I enjoyed having my second so much more when it was just about having the baby and not worrying about every baby gadget known to man.
May 2nd, 2012, 06:05 AM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
For me, a back pack was so much easier then a diaper bag. With a back pack just put it on your back and one less thing to carry. Also, everyone suggested that I make and freeze meals ahead of time, which i never did. After baby got here, i was wishing i had listened because 9 times out of 10 i was too tired to cook. It would have been so much easier to just defrost the already prepared meal and heat them up to cook them...
May 2nd, 2012, 06:26 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, ladies! These are great! I'll have to talk DH into getting the deep freezer before baby gets here so I can freeze some meals. Our fridge has one of those annoying drawer freezers.

May 2nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't worry about "Breaking" your baby. They are very flexible, and bouncy. I'm not saying be careless, but babies are tougher than you think. Watch their necks when until they can lift their heads on their own, but don't worry about tilting, and lifting them while changing diapers or clothes.

May 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaHarvey View Post
Don't worry about "Breaking" your baby. They are very flexible, and bouncy. I'm not saying be careless, but babies are tougher than you think. Watch their necks when until they can lift their heads on their own, but don't worry about tilting, and lifting them while changing diapers or clothes.
So true! Whenever I would hold someone else's baby, I would feel like I was going to break it. When you have your very own baby, it is so different and they don't feel as breakable.

Tags
qotd , tuesday

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search