There are 7000 strollers... how to narrow it all down?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lyz

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2012, 05:30 AM
Sigyl's Avatar Veteran
We're working on our registry and there are too many choices!

I try to find reviews and things, but they always recommend the $800 models. The "best value" gives me the $50 choices that don't have any options I want. We aren't looking to spend a fortune, but certain key items that will hopefully last us through several babies/kids can be a bit more expensive

You know, $150 for a stroller, etc.

I don't even know what a car seat is supposed to cost the numbers are all over the place.

Are there review sites or forums you ladies use? Or suggestions you could make from experience?
May 3rd, 2012, 06:00 AM
Super Mommy
Do you just have the one on the way? I'm sorry, I can't remember.
I think the most versatile strollers are the smaller joggers (since the wheels are inflated, which makes the ride smoother, and you can use them just as easily at the mall as the park). A few brands, like Baby Trend, has a jogger where an infant seat can readily be attached without adaptors. I don't have one personally, but my friend loves hers. You can get a car seat/base/jogger for $188 at Target right now. Not sure what features you are looking for but it has a canopy, basket, reclining back and cup holders.
May 3rd, 2012, 06:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
your best bet is to go and see them in person. DH and I went to babies R us for baby #1 and I'm so glad we checked them out in person. The one I picked online was really difficult to collapse and bulky.

I typically use Amazon for their reviews. I go off actual mom's reviews vs. a researchers reviews.

We had a graco travel system and I LOVE that stroller! I'm currently looking for a double and having trouble deciding as well. good luck!!!
momma_d and one.juniper like this.

May 3rd, 2012, 07:10 AM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
We also had a hard time picking out a stroller/car seat combo. We combined parent reviews, hands-on experience and consumer reports to make our decision (a one-month subscription to CR is $7 and as long as you remember to cancel, I think it's worth the $ for a month).

The one we ultimately picked was the Chicco KeyFit 30 travel system. CR recommended it and I didn't see any bad reviews of it (a few complaints about the weight, but overall people were pleased) and a close friend also used the system and loved it. When we compared it side-by-side in-store with a Graco we were also considering, there were features that the Chicco had which made it a better choice for us. For example, with the Graco, the car seat locks onto the stroller's tray, but if you push down on the car seat in front of the tray lock, the seat flips backwards. We're around a lot of little kids and I could just see one of them coming over, putting their hands on the side to peer in at our baby, pushing down a little and flipping the car seat backward. Since the car seat won't fall out and the baby will be strapped in, the baby will be fine, but pretty startled. The Chicco didn't move at all once locked into place. That was just one of the features that was worth it to us - but you may find that it and other things are not important to you.

I agree with Lyz, though - you definitely want to try them out in the store. Play with all the features: collapse the stroller, adjust the straps, roll them through the crowded sections of the store, carry the car seat around with a gallon of milk inside if you can (or 8-10 lbs of stuff if you can't). Compare the pricier models side-by-side with cheaper models and decide what features are worth more $ to you (if any). And have fun! I know we did!

Last edited by nroundtr; May 3rd, 2012 at 07:15 AM.
May 3rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
CoolMomof2's Avatar Veteran
We bought the Baby Trend Jogger Travel System because that seemed really sturdy to us.
Walmart.com: Baby Trend - Jogger Travel System: Strollers

And it is still working like a charm [DD is 4 YO ] . We washed the car seat last weekend for the new baby and the car seat looks almost new [Used for the first year] . The stroller is so strong that it withstood all our city travels, mall walks and more . So many people commented on how beautiful and comfortable the big wheels looked . And I agree , It is more comfortable for us than another stroller we bought with smaller wheels .

My Blog www.workingmaa.com
May 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think everyone else has great points. Go to the store and try them out. We wore our stroller out so bad there was no way it was lasting for another child. It also got torn up by airlines when we traveled, etc. The thing was a complete wreck. That said, it lasted 4 years. I just tossed it a few weeks ago in fact.

We had an evenflo travel system. It looked similar to this, with a brown plaid print:
Evenflo Aura Select Travel System - Alhambra : Target
I could collapse it and raise it with one hand, and I loved the way their infant carrier had the twisted handle so it was way more ergonomic than other carseats we tried out. It was also really nice in that when she was still little, or sleeping, the stroller cover would cover the entire stroller over here, so if I was shopping and she was napping, nothing really bothered her, and when she was a baby, I could just cover her if I didn't want to deal with people's oogly baby eyes and grabby hands!

Danielle, Wife to Brian, Mommy to Keira & Kynlee

May 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nroundtr View Post
The one we ultimately picked was the Chicco KeyFit 30 travel system. CR recommended it and I didn't see any bad reviews of it (a few complaints about the weight, but overall people were pleased) and a close friend also used the system and loved it. When we compared it side-by-side in-store with a Graco we were also considering, there were features that the Chicco had which made it a better choice for us. For example, with the Graco, the car seat locks onto the stroller's tray, but if you push down on the car seat in front of the tray lock, the seat flips backwards. We're around a lot of little kids and I could just see one of them coming over, putting their hands on the side to peer in at our baby, pushing down a little and flipping the car seat backward. Since the car seat won't fall out and the baby will be strapped in, the baby will be fine, but pretty startled. The Chicco didn't move at all once locked into place. That was just one of the features that was worth it to us - but you may find that it and other things are not important to you.
When I was a nanny I worked for a family that had the chicco keyfit system. Very easy to install the carseat base into multiple cars, which we did frequently when I drove them around.

I used the deep liberty jogging stroller with the britax cherperone infant carseat. The stroller comes with an attachment to use with the that carseat. Loved the stroller but it is "kinda" heavy and doesn't fold completely flat. That's not an issue for us. Loved the britax for best safety ratings ever but VERY heavy and bulky. If you have a compact car you may not be able to fit one in your backseat. Also a non-issue with us.

All carseats have passed the same safety tests, some just go above the minimum standards and/or some have more features. Go with what you are comfortable with.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
May 3rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Man the range of prices out there for strollers is mind boggling. How can one stroller cost $1,200 and one cost $150. I don't get it. We picked a mid-range in price and spent about $400 (it was a travel system). Still.... it seems silly. We went with the one we picked because we do a LOT of walking with 2 big dogs and I wanted a stroller with real tires not the plastic tires so I could walk on surfaces that aren't sidewalks. It was one of very few strollers that had all the features we wanted including the inflatable tires so it was an easy decision in the end.

I think there's a website.. How to Pick a Baby Stroller It lets you select features and then gives you a list of strollers that have those features. It might help you narrow down what you are looking for.

Pinterest
Flickr
May 3rd, 2012, 12:20 PM
Mrs_Crystal_K's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm having the same issue... I thought I had found the travel system I wanted by looking on-line but when I went and saw it in the store I didn't like it at all...

I thought I had my mind set on a 3-wheel stroller, but there aren't so many options with 3-wheels so now I'm considering the 4-wheel strollers...

I'm 5'11 and my DH is 6'4 so we need a stroller that will work well for tall people. I also need it to fit in the truck of my Subaru Legend... I also want the reversible handle and lots of storage... I also want a very safe and comfy infant seat... Is that asking too much?

Diagnosed with Stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma on 3/23/12 at 13w1d pregnant.
May 3rd, 2012, 12:42 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm having a hard time finding a decently priced double stroller. ehh!

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
May 3rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^ Ditto. I'm on the cusp of not needing one with DS #1, but still would like to have one because there are still times that I do need it. I think I want the Baby Jogger City Select double stroller. It has an add on seat, so when DS #1 IS too big for it, the seat can be removed and it can be a single. It's pricey though, at around $650...plus more for the carseat adapter and any other add ons though. I'm going to keep an eye out on Craigslist for now. The only way I could EVER let myself buy it new is if I found a really good sale.

May 3rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
nroundtr's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJTKNT View Post
I think I want the Baby Jogger City Select double stroller. It has an add on seat, so when DS #1 IS too big for it, the seat can be removed and it can be a single. It's pricey though, at around $650...plus more for the carseat adapter and any other add ons though. I'm going to keep an eye out on Craigslist for now. The only way I could EVER let myself buy it new is if I found a really good sale.
My best friend has this stroller and I was talking to her the other day and she said she'd never go back to another stroller ever. To afford it, she let her friends and family know that $$ toward the purchase would be the best gift if they wanted to get her anything (since it was her 2nd, she didn't get a shower). I think they helped her pay for about 1/2 the cost. I considered it myself, but because of the price, I couldn't get it (my MIL insisted on buying our stroller and car seat before we knew what we wanted...I knew she couldn't afford it and I couldn't ask her to buy it).

May 3rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bought the chicco keyfit travel system and i have no complaints. I think it all depends on what you want and your needs. A travel system seemed like the best option for me but they are heavier. I can still lift it just fine. I'm not a runner so never found the need for a jogging stroller. I did a bunch of reviews online and then went to the store and tried out a few. For us in the end it was between a Graco and Chicco travel system and after pushing them both around in the store the chicco felt much more smooth and overall we preferred it despite it costing a little more. Definitely recommend seeing them in person once you limit it down!! Good luck!

May 3rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
Risa's Avatar Veteran
I also got an online consumer reports subscription. I find the book Baby Bargains to be helpful too!

May 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nroundtr View Post
My best friend has this stroller and I was talking to her the other day and she said she'd never go back to another stroller ever. To afford it, she let her friends and family know that $$ toward the purchase would be the best gift if they wanted to get her anything (since it was her 2nd, she didn't get a shower). I think they helped her pay for about 1/2 the cost. I considered it myself, but because of the price, I couldn't get it (my MIL insisted on buying our stroller and car seat before we knew what we wanted...I knew she couldn't afford it and I couldn't ask her to buy it).
Good to know. I've talked with a couple people in person who have it and really love it too. I think if I do anything, I'll sell my BOB Revolution, and then buy the single stroller. They have a foot board for older kids, so maybe I'll just add to the stroller piece by piece until I have it to the point I need- $150-60 at a time after the actual stroller purchase.

May 3rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm looking for a double stroller and I'm considering the citi mini double and the bumbleride indie twin...EXPENSIVE strollers, but just pushing my daughter around in one of those cars attached to shopping carts made me realize I don't want something cumbersome and difficult to push. We are starting to save now each month to be able to afford something nice.

Our single stroller when my daughter was an infant was just the graco stroller frame that the infant seat snapped into...very convenient! SOOOO lightweight and easy with a big basket

Amazon.com: Graco SnugRider Infant Car Seat Stroller Frame: Baby

And then when she got older we got the Chicco Liteway stroller...its good but I think there are probably better strollers out there.
May 4th, 2012, 01:47 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
my advice is to go to the store and test drive. Fold them up, drive them around. Shove things in the baskets. You want a stroller that you can use easily. Once you find one you like, shop around for it online for the best deal

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search