What do you all think?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Sagga02
  • 1 Post By Daffodil
  • 1 Post By MJTKNT
  • 2 Post By palmetto_moon
  • 1 Post By Daffodil
  • 1 Post By palmetto_moon
  • 1 Post By curlygirl77

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
lovemyleah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So we have been debating about names for sometime, and we pretty much decided we are not telling anyone our final name. But, I'm hoping you ladies can be hush, hush. Anyway, I'm wondering what you all think of the name Ryker Richard. Richard was my late father's name, a name I have wanted to use as a middle name since my dad died 14 years ago. Ryker is just a name we both agree on. With me using the middle name I have wanted, I felt like I needed to compromise, and Geoff likes uncommon names.

So Ryker Richard...is it too many R sounds? And, Ryker is a form of Richard, so we may end up with a new middle name, I don't know. Someone in my 08 PR said that Ryker is a Star Trek name, but I've never been a Star Trek fan, I didn't know that.

Seems I will never win with names when it comes to completely being happy. What do you all think of Ryker Richard?
May 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
Sagga02's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Sagga02 Send a message via MSN to Sagga02 Send a message via Yahoo to Sagga02
I LOVE the name Ryker! It is a star trek character. I think that since Richard is already a form of Ryker i might change the middle name, but if not it does flow nicely
lovemyleah and Enitsirk like this.

www.etsy.com/shop/sagga02
May 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Haha, I immediately thought of Star Trek too!!! Although I love Riker (the character is spelled like this) so I think its cool! lol.
3Sapphires likes this.
May 3rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
I'm glad the spelling is different. I think we have pretty much settled on Ryker, it's different, and I don't know of any, but the name is not completely "out there" in my opinion.

And, no worries, I want honest opinions about Ryker Richard. I'm just wondering if it's too much?
May 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a star trek fan, so I didn't know it was from that. I like the name Ryker, but I'm with you that Ryker Richard is too many R's.
lovemyleah likes this.

May 3rd, 2012, 08:36 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Ryker! I think that it is original and unique without being weird. I think it's got a very cool, edgy sound to it. As far as using Richard or picking a differnt mn, i think you'd be fine either way. You could go with a different MN since Ryker is already a form of Richard, but even if you didn't, I doubt that many people are aware that one is a form of another so it would still sound fine. It's not like you are using Bill William where it's common knowledge that Bill is already short for william. Ryker is uncommon enough that if you wanted to use Ryker Richard, it would be totally fine. I don't think it's too many R's at all because when you say your last name with it and pronounce the whole name together, it breaks it up nicely. If your last name were, say...Robinson or something then it might be too much but that last name starting with a different letter makes the alliteration of the first and middle sound fine, IMO. Congrats on finding something you both like!
lovemyleah and momma_d like this.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
May 3rd, 2012, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the middle name is fine and honestly I think before a baby is born parents spend so much time thinking of the "perfect" middle name, but in reality, how often do people ever use middle names? I think naming him after your dad is reason enough...and I actually think it sounds cool together.
lovemyleah likes this.
May 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
^^And to know that Ryker is from Richard makes it even cooler to me.

Thanks for your input ladies. It's still up for debate, but I'm really leaning towards it. I don't know why, I'm just obsessing lately. I just want my baby named, but I want it perfect. I keep thinking "How could his name be made fun of" in school, but reality is, I just have to go with what we like. I can hear my 80 year old mom now "What is Ryker??!!" She will never understand, lol....
May 3rd, 2012, 08:50 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL!!!!! I always run names through my head for teasing potential as well, but then I figure that kids are so creative, they can find something to pick on out of pretty much any name...it's exhausting to think about.
I say pick what you like. Naming your son after your dad is so special and sweet. I think it's perfect.
lovemyleah likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
May 3rd, 2012, 11:10 PM
curlygirl77's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i like Ryker but it is a bit of a mouthful wih Richard. But like a pp said, how ofen do you really use both names together. and kids will find a way to tease just about any name, so that shouldn't be a consideration imo. Good luck with your choice!
lovemyleah likes this.

My beautiful siggy was made by *bokkechick*

May 4th, 2012, 04:42 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes Ryker is from Star Trek TNG - he is tall, handsome, charming, maybe a bit of a player! haha!

But I do like the name. Not sure I'd do Ryker Richard though, that sounds like too much.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 (9wks) & 3/1/14 (9wks)
Chemical Pregnancy 5/31/15
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

May 4th, 2012, 05:39 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I'd probably try to come up with a different middle name, but Ryker is awesome!! And, since we don't know your last name, the whole name all together might flow more nicely than we are aware of.

May 4th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Veteran
I like Ryker Richard but not if Ryker is a form of Richard
Keep the first name, possibly change the middle.
May 4th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Super Mommy
I like, but if you are feeling doubtful, you could always name him Richard and call him Ryker.
May 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
DaniM0820's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As for using middle names, my mom always called us by our first and middle names when we were in trouble "DANIELLE MARIE!! MICHAEL EDWARD!! DAVID JUNIOR!!" (older bro didn't have a middle name since he is a jr) so when deciding on a middle name for Jordan, I had to make sure it flowed nicely enough for when I have to yell at him

I personally think that Ryker Richard may be a little too much, but it still does not sound bad when put together since the "k" and the "ch" sounds are different Also, I think Ryker is a super cute name, and I never heard it until just now!

10/01/15 @ 8.5 weeks
11/17/15 @ 4 weeks (chemical)
1/25/16 @ 4.5 weeks
3/07/16 @ 5.5 weeks

Struggling with how much more my heart can take.
May 4th, 2012, 09:49 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The name Ryker is nice, i like that its unique!! I don't watch Star trek so that wasn't an issue for me. If it was me i'd choose a different MN because it is a lot of R's but if you love it then go for it! Like the others stated, the names won't be used together all that often anyway.

May 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually really like alliteration in names, like David Duchovny, Alan Alda, etc.
May 4th, 2012, 10:35 AM
momma_d's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I had no idea any of what you explained, I would think it all sounds just fine!

But here are just some things to ponder:

-Since Ryker is a form of Richard already, you could consider using a different middle name, since actually, just by using Ryker, you are already honoring your Father, in a more modern fashion. Which, I personally love putting your own spin on things because you will always know it!

-What was your dad's middle name? You could always use his middle name or his last name as a middle name as well.

-What is Geoff's middle name? You could always consider naming baby after Daddy as well, then you are including both your Dad and your DH.

As far as the name Ryker, I personally love it! But I love offbeat names! Keira was actually a name I finally just told DH we were using because it was the only name we both agreed on. I knew he loved that name, and I was just kinda okay on it. I love it now though and we get lots of compliments on it! So really I was in the same exact situation that you are in!

Also- I am one that uses both First and middle names Frequently! I call Keira, Keira Danielle a lot lol. It wasn't anything I intended on, but even when she isn't in trouble, sometimes it just comes out that way!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search