Question for those doing natural labor

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Are you taking any classes for teaching you tips for going through natural labor? I've heard of the Bradley method and hypnobabies, but don't know a lot about them yet. Will you be taking one of these or something else? BTDT moms, what did you use? Will you use the same method again?

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

May 8th, 2012, 06:40 AM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All 3 of mine were natural but not by my choice. I haven't decided if I will go natural this time. IMO no amount of classes will prepare you for labor. Once you get started your body naturally knows what to do so everything you learned goes out the window.

May 8th, 2012, 07:10 AM
lilemma86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i will be going natural! I have not made up my mind which birth class i will attend yet. I am thinking either hypnobabies or bradley. Not sure but I will be attending one at some point... this will be my first and I will also be going to a birth center.

May 8th, 2012, 07:10 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did do a class with my first born (but dropped out half way through LOL) and I did read a book on various versions of pain management and unfortunately, Crystal is right - nothing prepared me for the real thing. I think it depends on the labor though - I know some women whose contractions felt like menstrual cramps and I can definitely imagine they had an easier time staying on top of the pain. Mine felt like someone was stabbing me in the back!
I'm going to look into hypnobirthing this time around because I've heard great things about it. I've heard it doesn't always take all the pain away like they promise, but the visualization of the contractions as surges and waves instead of pain is really helpful.
I'm trying to remember the name of the book I read because it was really helpful in giving an overview of each pain management system. If I remember it, I'll definitely share. It also gave a history of labor pain management which was really interesting!
May 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM
burnbot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
this is something I really need to start thinking about but as of yet I haven't. I am such a baby and do not handle pain well so I am hoping it won't be too bad for me' although I know it is not gonna be fun
May 8th, 2012, 07:21 AM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on being natural but I haven't thought any further than that yet.

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
May 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalcherry View Post
All 3 of mine were natural but not by my choice. I haven't decided if I will go natural this time. IMO no amount of classes will prepare you for labor. Once you get started your body naturally knows what to do so everything you learned goes out the window.
Yes. This. I had my 2nd child naturally, but not by choice! LOL I got the epi but then she came before the epi had time to take effect. There is nothing that can prepare you for the pain of childbirth. I had taken a basic hospital birth class with my first, read a bunch online and watched a lot of youtube videos about breathing, etc.... But all of that went out the window when those real painful contractions started coming. Im not sure if I want to go natural again this time or not. It was pretty terrible. LOL

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

May 8th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We'll be taking a class through our birth center... I've heard really great things about it and they even take you on a tour of labor and delivery at the local hospital, just in case you end up having to transfer. We're looking into Bradley, but my guess is that we'll get as much info as we can and then just see what feels right and works in the moment.

May 8th, 2012, 09:30 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Great question, Cassie! I've been wanting this info too. The hospital I'm delivering at has childbirth classes that we'll be going to once I hit the 3rd trimester. I'm pretty sure they're Lamaze classes. What are the different methods/ techniques?
May 8th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took a hypnobirthing class with my first and loved it! Though, I ended up caving and getting an epidural. It did help me manage a lot better though. Im a highly anxious person and had to stop taking my medicine and it really helped me to deal with that. This time Im planning on a birthing center. I will be rereading the hypnobirthing book, listening to the cds, and I want to have a doula. I think having someone there specifically helping me stay in a frame of mind, helping my SO know how to support me, things like that will make a difference this time.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
May 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Here's a little info about some of them I found on Baby Center:

Childbirth classes | BabyCenter

Lamaze classes
According to Lamaze International, the goal of Lamaze classes is to "increase women's confidence in their ability to give birth," and toward that end, women learn various simple coping strategies, including breathing techniques.

The Lamaze philosophy stipulates that "birth is normal, natural, and healthy" and that "women have a right to give birth free from routine medical interventions." But Lamaze also educates women so that when interventions are needed, or pain relief medication is desired, women are able to give true informed consent.

Bradley Method classes
The Bradley Method embraces the idea that childbirth is a natural process and that, with the right preparation, most women can avoid pain medication and routine interventions during labor and birth. The curriculum emphasizes the importance of diet and exercise during pregnancy, teaches deep breathing techniques to manage pain, and involves the husband or partner as an integral participant in the birth process.

HypnoBirthing classes
HypnoBirthing, or the Mongan Method, teaches women how to use deep relaxation, visualization, and self-hypnosis to experience "a calm, serene, and comfortable birth." While the focus is on natural pregnancy and birth, the techniques are also useful for mothers who require medical intervention during labor and delivery.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

May 8th, 2012, 10:34 AM
IamVillanueva's Avatar Veteran
I took a natural birthing class at the hospital I delivered. It was great for me and my hubby. I labored for 15 hours and nothing "went out the window". We had practiced breathing as well as positions for both me and my husband to support me in during contractions. Also, just knowing why my body was in such pain and that each contraction was moving me closer to our baby, made a difference. Part of it is a mind game with yourself and knowledge is power.

I would highly recommend a birthing class. I don't know about any methods in particular. My new OB actually will not work with couples using the Bradley method because their literature says "it encourages an adversarial relationship between the parents and physician." I thought that sounded odd, but I don't know anything about the method myself. I always thought it just encouraged the father to be supportive.

Support and knowledge are key to a successful natural birth.
DD#1 Isadora 8 yrs old
DD#2 Maya 5 yrs old
EDD 12/3/12
May 8th, 2012, 11:43 AM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't take any classes... I read up on different calming techniques, but just kind of winged it when I was in labor. lol. I literally brought a suitcase full of crap that I thought would help me (CD's of relaxing music, massagers, etc.) and I didn't even unzip it. I just followed my body's cues and got through it just fine. I'm not saying it wasn't painful, it was, but I breathed and swayed through the contractions and they were doable.
May 8th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran
with both of my children i had meds..plan to again..i can be kicked by the goats and bleed...and whatever else happens at the barn...but my first birthing exp was horrid with my daughter 15 almost 16 yrs ago..my sons was fantastic * different hosp) plan to take meds..and birth at the same hostpital i did with my son as i live in that area and its 15 mins away..i tried the breathing...but my daughter was almost 8 lbs..big first baby lol and son was almost 9...so kinda scared to think what this one will wiegh lol...bring on the meds!!

May 8th, 2012, 06:10 PM
The Jenn's Avatar Waiting for Baby #2!!
Took a Lamaze class when I was PG with DD...lol, did nothing to help me during labor. DH tried to remind me to breath, and I think I told him to shove his breathing up his ars and get me the f'ing epidural. Lol...

*New Siggy Coming Soon!*

Jenn, mommy to Emma and Ruby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search