Maybe I'm just pregnant and ultrasensative.....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 2 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 1 Post By Becky_78
  • 2 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 1 Post By lex1078

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM
DawnVH's Avatar Supermom to Sid and Este
Ok......a little backstory: my husband goes on annual dirtbike riding trips with his friends. So the wives (who I'm not super close with) decided we should all go somewhere for the weekend and one wife booked a hotel in Kansas City for a weekend in July. I just emailed everyone last week to inform them due to financial issues (we just remodeled our basement and put in a salon so I could work at home-about $30000) and the fact that we will have to come up with a $5000 deductible when baby arrives not to mention buying a van as well since our family will not fit into our current vehicle, I thought it was not financially responsible to go on this trip and said I hope everyone understood.

I received a email today from the wife that booked the trip saying that she was very disappointed that I cancelled because it put her under financial stress as she apparently booked a NONREFUNDABLE room so she could get a better discount (which she never mentioned to any of us) and that she didn't feel that she should just "eat" my portion of the room payment because I can't go now.

This makes me wonder why I ever even TRY to make friends and realize why I like to spend time by myself instead of with other people. I can't make ANYONE happy.

I just wrote back and replied" Wow. I didn't realize that you booked a nonrefundable room. you never mentioned it to any of us. Guess that sucks for me that I have to be out money now that I can't go. Send me the bill and I'll get it paid.

These people will never be invited to my house again. I'm over them.
May 10th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I'm thinking when I send a check for the amount I "owe" her I'll put in the memo line:

For: Bull $hit......
May 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
IamVillanueva's Avatar Veteran
You should not have to pay fo that. My two cents.
DD#1 Isadora 8 yrs old
DD#2 Maya 5 yrs old
EDD 12/3/12
May 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
I wouldn't pay!? Are you crazy!! Did she even mention she was booking a trip?? Ugh! That's why I don't have friends either!
May 10th, 2012, 02:40 PM
we all agreed to the weekend we would plan on going. That was decided and she sent out 4 different hotel choices (all pretty pricey) She went ahead and booked the midrange hotel since everyone agreed on dates, but didn't say it was nonrefundable. I mean......all of us are moms except one. If any of our children got sick someone would have to back out. I just think it was a ****** decision on her part to do that for a better discount on a room and not let anyone know. Had she said it was nonrefundable, I wouldn't have committed. seriously. this is why I don't have friends.
May 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed. What a beeyotch. First of all, you’re NOT a mind-reader and you shouldn’t be penalized for your extra-sensory failings.

Secondly, if she can prove that HER financial burden is greater than yours (e.g.: that she has installed a $30,001 salon in her basement, that her deductible for the child she is carrying in her womb is $5,001, and that she needs to buy a new Escalade for her burgeoning family) then fine….otherwise, SHE needs to suck it up and just do what is right here. Crap happens. People have to back out on things. That’s the risk she took when she chose to book a non-refundable.

I’ve got something else she can eat while she’s at it.

Okay, that's not very nice, but come on. I despise inconsiderate people. And YOU were not one of them in that situation.
KelseyN and Becky_78 like this.
May 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
...I still don't feel like you should have to pay, just for the reason that she didn't fill anyone in on the final price to approve it with anyone, and you're right-the fact it's nonrefundable is dumb too especially when the majority have children. I'm sorry :-( I'd be very upset too!
May 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnVH View Post
this is why I don't have friends.
It could also be that your hair scares people.
DawnVH and Becky_78 like this.
May 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Megan30's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed...you did nothing wrong and she has a lot of nerve writing to you to complain..just to make you feel bad. I wouldn't pay nor would I consider her a friend at all. Sorry some women ruin it for all of us.
May 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Seriously? I wouldn't pay it. It doesn't sound like you ever 100% committed and said you would pay such and such an amount and she never said it was non-refundable. Sorry she put you in that position.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

May 10th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowesMum View Post
I'm dying over here!!! This was too funny!!!!!

I wouldn't pay at all - especially if they are not close friends & you're not concerned about whether you remain friends in the future. You didn't OK a non-refundable room. I think Judge Millian would agree with me!!! (OMG - I really am a stay at home wife who watches People's Court...how did this happen?!?!?!?)
dickersons09 likes this.

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

May 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's not an emotional, hormonal, pg thing at all. I would not pay a dime to her. If yall didn't agree on a room its not your problem. If she had to back out I'm sure she wouldnt pay. Just because you are not going doesent mean the others aren't so its okay that her reservation is not refundable. I would not make a reservation in my name unless I had money in hand.....its her problem not yours.

May 10th, 2012, 10:24 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lame! Sorry you have to deal with that BS.

May 11th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If you committed and KneW it was a non refundable thing then that's different. Bathe didn't inform anyone it was non refundable. I wouldn't pay and I don't think you should have to.
May 11th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowesMum View Post
I just spit out my morning coffee (yes I still drink it.) that was hilarious. On a side note....that's a crazy wig I wore that day for giggles......and I think I just peed myself. Also...you forgot the ducklips. The ducklips would also scare people

The drama gets even better. Remember how she didn't feel she should have to "eat my portion of the room" or even THINK of asking the girls to split the room 3 ways instead of 4? Because that's just such a HUGE extra burden for them, she decided to cancel the trip for all the girls and just take her husband. So instead of paying an extra $50 for the room a night, she is taking the WHOLE bill of $400 for the 2 nights so her and her husband can go.

yeah...makes PERFECT sense....

oh well, I'm out of the ordeal and that's all that matters. Doubt I'll be seeing her again. Oh well

the good news is: the other two ladies were actually relieved to have found out it was nonrefundable as another wanted to also back out due to her child had been in the ICU with pneumonia for almost 2 weeks and her son just broke an arm so she has hospital bills coming in everywhere right now. thrilled I'm not the only one that would have started something.....
May 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnVH View Post
she decided to cancel the trip for all the girls and just take her husband. So instead of paying an extra $50 for the room a night, she is taking the WHOLE bill of $400 for the 2 nights so her and her husband can go. .....
Clearly, YOU are not the one without friends here.
I didn't forget the ducklips. I just rather liked them.
DawnVH and Becky_78 like this.
May 11th, 2012, 07:44 AM
lex1078's Avatar Waiting patiently....
IMO, this 'friend' is an idiot for booking a NON-REFUNDABLE room, I would never book that especially if most of the other ladies have children and might have to back out last minute, and I mean like morning of back out. Second, she just sounds selfish and greedy. I wouldn't pay her a red cent, especially after all the money you just dropped on your salon and future expenses. You're making a wise financial decision and SHE should have to deal with you backing out with enough time to A. find someone else, B. take it upon herself to figure out what to do with the 'extra expense'.

But in the end now who cares, I hope her and her husband have a wonderful weekend, and it pours and thunders and it just crappy weather on their weekend away.
DawnVH likes this.

May 11th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, Im glad you got out of that!! I was going to say, often if you call the hotel and speak with the right person, something can be worked out and she could be refunded. What an annoying mess, I would be relieved to not have to spend time with her!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search