Glider Rocker or Rocking Chair?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Will you be getting a glider rocker or a regular rocking chair for the nursery? Or do you have one you'll use?

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy
May 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a glider rocker type chair, but it looks more like an occasional chair than a nursery glider. It's green and I love it.
May 10th, 2012, 08:45 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be getting another glider. To me they are a much smoother rocking motion and if you don't have carpet in the room the noise from a regular rocker can be annoying. There was one in the nursing room at BRU that was heavenly! It was $300+ but it was the most comfortable chair I ever sat in. The good thing is that they can be used in the living room when your LO gets older and you need to move it out. I would say to make sure the fabric is puke, pee and milk friendly....i cant count the times I was scrubbing mine. A gliding ottoman is a definite must have. I liked how the one I fell In love with was adjustable so a tall mom or short mom could use it.

May 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We haven't looked for one yet but I've been eyeing up a glider rather than a rocker

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
I have a glider in storage in my parents garage, that became mine when my aunt passed away. After 6 years I have use for it.
I just need to get new cushions for it. Which I'm searching for but need to figure out the size and exact type of the glider first.

The ones in our church nursery are so comfortable, they put me to sleep along with baby. I knew even at age 15 I must have one when I have kids.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy
May 11th, 2012, 05:34 AM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
I never had any type of rocking chair/glider with ds but am going to be looking at a glider this time around!
May 11th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I'm not sure yet. All the ones that I've found that I love are way out of our budget, so I'll have to keep shopping around.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

May 11th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Regular
I purchased one of these:
Amazon.com: The Rockabye Glider Ottoman, Chenille Yellow: Baby

It swivels and glides!

Expecting our First! Due Dec 4th, 2012
Nicole (me) 30, DH 27. Married >3 years.

1st Ultrasound 4/12 - Heartbeat 141! Measured 6w0d
2nd Ultrasound 5/24 - Heartbeat 153! Measured 12w4d, NT Scan looks good.
May 11th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Super - Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I will be getting a glider rocker. They are much more comfortable I find.
May 11th, 2012, 06:28 AM
DawnVH's Avatar Supermom to Sid and Este
We have a glider. I always wanted one but they were out of our budget.

But the good news: I live across the alley from a high end furniture store in my town. When they go to deliver furniture at people's houses they often times bring back the furniture the owners had and didn't want anymore. One day there was an almost new glider out there.....I just threw all the pieces in the washer and voila. Brand new glider for us.

yes. I have no shame.
May 11th, 2012, 06:57 AM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnVH View Post
We have a glider. I always wanted one but they were out of our budget.

But the good news: I live across the alley from a high end furniture store in my town. When they go to deliver furniture at people's houses they often times bring back the furniture the owners had and didn't want anymore. One day there was an almost new glider out there.....I just threw all the pieces in the washer and voila. Brand new glider for us.

yes. I have no shame.
one persons trash is another man treasure!!

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning
May 11th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Veteran
I had a glider with DD. It was great! I used it quite a bit. However I would LOOOOVE to get a Lazy Boy rocker/recliner this time around for the living room!!!
May 11th, 2012, 10:18 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll play devil's advocate: I had a glider that I actually didn't use all that much. I think the concept is lovely, but in practice, it just didn't happen - even though it was in my bedroom and had a nice little set up with an occasional table next to it and a lamp.

DD slept in our room for the first year (as a breastfeeder, nighttime feedings were my job anyway) and since we co-slept with a snugglenest, the glider was just ridiculously far away. When I was anywhere else in the house, it was just as easy for me to plop on the couch with my boppy and feed her, and frankly more comfortable.

The good news is that ours was a hand-me-down, so I wasn't out any money by not using it. Perhaps if I had paid good money for it I would have been more apt to use it, but as it was, it got used probably a total of 6 times ever.

May 11th, 2012, 10:56 AM
lilemma86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i think i am going to get a glider! i love them!

May 11th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Super Mommy
Gliders are amazing. However, I only used it once or twice to rock my son or read to him. It would probably get more use if I put it in the living room instead of the nursery.

May 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
I'm thinking glider, but one that is big and super comfy

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

May 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowesMum View Post
I'll play devil's advocate: I had a glider that I actually didn't use all that much. I think the concept is lovely, but in practice, it just didn't happen - even though it was in my bedroom and had a nice little set up with an occasional table next to it and a lamp.

DD slept in our room for the first year (as a breastfeeder, nighttime feedings were my job anyway) and since we co-slept with a snugglenest, the glider was just ridiculously far away. When I was anywhere else in the house, it was just as easy for me to plop on the couch with my boppy and feed her, and frankly more comfortable.
This is exactly true for us. I never bought one as she was in our room and I didn't rock her to sleep- rather nursed her down. An the same thing for during the day.. More convenient and comfy to nurse on the couch or in my bed for Naptime.
We DID however har a big comfy leather chair in her room that didnt recline or anything that we would snuggle, read, ect when we were in her room.... It only came out of her room in this past month when I needed the space for a toddler table- chairs in our living room now

May 11th, 2012, 02:21 PM
burnbot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure if I will get a glider yet or not but I would not go for an old fashioned rocking chair because once they start to crawl it could pinch their fingers. I remeber when I worked in the infant room at my last job that I used the glider in my classroom just about ALL day to feed babies but that was when I was at work and there were 4 babies in the room with me. I don't know how it will be with my own LO all to myself at home. It seems a blessing to be at home with 1 than at work with 4 that arent yours lol

May 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclebaby2011 View Post
one persons trash is another man treasure!!

isnt that way they invented lawn sales

May 11th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to countryjewelsc
My parents bought us a glider when our first son was born, I like it, but if I could go back, I would prefer a rocker/recliner type

www.facebook.com/babylovecustoms, specializing in custom embroidery for children.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search