Friday Fun Facts

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes
  • 7 Post By DawnVH
  • 8 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 3 Post By gardenbelle
  • 2 Post By lilemma86
  • 1 Post By rlh27
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 1 Post By Cassie.S
  • 2 Post By arabians1025
  • 1 Post By burnbot
  • 2 Post By daffneyc
  • 1 Post By The Jenn

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Anyone have a fun fact / hidden talent / accomplishment we don't know about that you want to share?

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

May 11th, 2012, 06:24 AM
DawnVH's Avatar Supermom to Sid and Este
sure. when I was 18 I cut all my college classes to stay home and be a lazy bum. I watched all the talkshows during the day and called when they asked, "If you were abducted by aliens and want to be on the show...call now!" I would call every day making up stupid stories.

One day, the Jerry Springer show called back. So yes......I was on Jerry Springer around 1997.........it was super rediculous. There were so many fist fights that day we got about 5 minutes of airtime but it was fun nonetheless.

Now-it's one of those things I wish I could go back in time and say I DIDN'T do. Hilariously enough, the whole crowd started picking on me and almost made me cry. All for a story I made up. (the story was I hate my sister's boyfriend/fiance I want her to go back with her ex.....) I brought a guy that was her supposed "ex" that she had never even met before. I just thought he would be a fun person to go to chicago with. On a side note....she did break up with her fiance a week later......he was a complete douche bag. So that was good.

also......not sure what category that fits in....probably not "accomplishment"

lol
May 11th, 2012, 06:57 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never been on the Jerry Springer show. So I'm duly impressed by your accomplishment, Dawn.

I have no real skills. I'm an okay cook. I make good desserts. I manage to put together semi-decent outfits on a regular basis. Apart from my daughter (who is AH-MAZE-ING), my only real accomplishment, is the fact that DH and I lived in a dome for the first 4 years of our marriage, while we physically built our own home next door. Out of pocket. I don't mean we acted as the contractors, I mean we nailed nails. We laid cement blocks, we poured basement floors, we stapled up siding, we installed windows, we hung drywall, we painted walls, we laid tile (when I was 7 months pregnant), we did it all. We built our house. Because it was out of pocket, it's taken us quite awhile, but we've been living in it now for several years and we don't owe a dime. I think that's a good accomplishment.

Here are a couple of photos taken the year that we did did siding. (Yes, it has siding now.)

May 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DawnVH, that is absolutely hilarious! Don't you love being old enough to be able to reflect back on the funny things you did when you were younger and laugh? I did some dumb (but funny now) things too.
An accomplishment I have that not many people know about was that 3 years ago, I was an egg donor for a friend. Going through infertility was about the hardest thing I ever went through and seeing a good friend going through the same struggles made me feel like I wanted to do something to help. We went through all the counseling and screening, did one cycle that was cancelled 1/2 way through from hyperstimming, and the second cycle we made it to retrieval. Unfortunately, the transfer did not work and neither did the frozen transfer and she has still not had luck getting pregnant, though she's tried a second donor cycle with an anonymous donor. Two months after the donor cycle, I got pregnant from a natural cycle. I always wonder if the fertility gods had mercy upon me and gave me Penny.

Maggie, you added your post while I was writing mine - that is awesome you built your own home!
Megan30, rlh27 and MarlowesMum like this.
May 11th, 2012, 07:29 AM
lilemma86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My and the DH opened a business together before we got married, got married a year later, built a house (not to the extent of building like maggie) but we were a part of it. And when i was a 2 week old baby I had an operation to remove cancer from my shoulder blade and have been great ever since!

Fun fact of the day: Kangaroos can't jump backwards!
rlh27 and gardenbelle like this.

May 11th, 2012, 07:38 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Wow, my life is really boring! I don't have any great talents or accomplishments, I just have a fun fact. I am severely allergic to chocolate. In my junior year of college I started getting TERRIBLE migraines, to the point where I would actually hallucinate. Everyone thought it was from the stress of college. A few months later I started breaking out in hives and we couldn't find a source. I went to an allergist and it turned out that I had developed a severe allergy to chocolate. Did you know that you can develop an allergy in young adulthood?
MarlowesMum likes this.
May 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
I am severely allergic to chocolate. In my junior year of college I started getting TERRIBLE migraines, to the point where I would actually hallucinate. Everyone thought it was from the stress of college.
Poor Lucy...everyone thinks you're crazy, but it's actually an allergy the whole time!
Well, okay, being allergic to chocolate is pretty crazy, but it's not like you can help that.
burnbot likes this.

May 11th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Yeah, I don't have anything exciting to add now. These are great! I love the Jerry Springer story!

I guess just a fun fact about me. I was a senior in high school when my mom had my youngest brother. He was then the ring bearer in my wedding! I seriously can't wait to see how he reacts to this little one. He's never held a baby before, so this should be fun.
gardenbelle likes this.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

May 11th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Regular
WOW awesome stories!! They def made me laugh!! All I have is a fun fact.. I grew up on an alligator and crocodile farm in central florida It has been featured on Animal planet, the show is called Swamp Brothers! Its where i grew up, it was sold when I was 15, I took my kids back last year and the people let me show the kids around! It was a blast!! Oh and my childhood rope swing was still hanging

Make a pregnancy ticker
DawnVH and gardenbelle like this.
May 11th, 2012, 02:06 PM
burnbot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW! Wonderful stories! Jerry SPringer LOL! My DH and I make fun of that and Maury all the time seeing as we don't have cable. I always think those stories are made up! And building a house has always been a goal for my DH and I. He worked in construction his whole life so he knows how to build but he is going to medical school right now.
The only thing I do other than dance ballet, and play violin that isn't a boring, generic talent is recently I have been doing alot of free hand sewing and I am thinking of starting my own clothing line while I am not working and I am pregnant at home. It would give me something to do and I may be able to make some money. I will post some pictures of my clothes when I have more time to load them
gardenbelle likes this.

May 11th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
These are awesome stories!!! I was on that "Trauma life on the ER show" when I first started as a respiratory therapist. So now every once in awhile I get to catch a glimpse myself looking much younger and skinnier on television.
DawnVH and gardenbelle like this.

Daffney

May 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM
The Jenn's Avatar Waiting for Baby #2!!
Wow ladies...these are really interesting! Accomplishments...I guess my program at school, which I've built from the ground up with pretty much no help, except the support from my admin and parents. In the last two years I went from being an English teacher, to teaching child development, to turning the child development class into an early childhood class, complete with four levels, so students can start as freshmen and stay with me until senior year, and a functioning preschool. We are in the process of getting licensed so we can have 1-2 year old next year and adding another teacher to my program. It's been such a good thing for so many people; inexpensive daycare for teachers and almost a one to one ratio of children to high school students training to be teachers. Plus my students are working toward their CDA so they are leaving my program with quite a bit of job experience and a credential that makes them more desirable in the child care field.

So yea! That's mine!
gardenbelle likes this.

*New Siggy Coming Soon!*

Jenn, mommy to Emma and Ruby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search