Moms of preschoolers/ kindergarteners...advice

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By white.house

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2012, 01:56 PM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my daughter has never really been on a playdate with a family I didn't know very well. She met the neighbor girls and loves them. I was feel very hesitant about sending her over there alone becaus well, I don't know the parents. I told her it was fine but she must stay outside where I can see her. I went over there later and talked with the parents and they seem decent. Not friend material for me but decent people to allow my kid to play with their kid. Well this was working out ok and then today she came over to our house. This is the first time and the parents and I haven't had much more conversation. They've never been to my house before. And they let her come over and play inside. Now I feel like a crazy jerk who's paranoid about my kid playing at a friends house.

Btdt moms, do you think Im being crazy? Do you think since they are trusting that I'm not some psycho I should out a little more trust in them? My baby is only 4 (almost 5). Am I just having a hard time letting her go a little or am I being normal in not wanting her in a virtual strangers house alone? I have their number so I can get a hold of them if she's there.

I am so torn now. I was sure that they wouldn't let her come into the house to play but I was wrong.

May 25th, 2012, 02:09 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do what you feel comfortable with. Maybe try to develop a bit more of a relationship with these parents, so that soon you can feel comfortable allowing your daughter to play in their house. For me, my daughter (who is 6) started going into neighbors houses around your daughters age. However, we knew those parents, and were friends with them. We moved to a new house in October, and the kids met the neighbor girl. She is 9, so a little older. But they love to play with her. One day, they ran in asking if they could go in her house. I actually let them, because even though at that point I had never even spoken to the parents, I knew they were good people. We rent, and the landlady told us when we moved in how wonderful they are. I trusted that. Since then, our kids have been invited over to play numerous times. When she is outside, she asks if they can play outside. We still really have no relationship with the parents, though we have spoken on random occasions. But, you have to go with your gut. If you arent ready to allow her into their home, then dont.

May 25th, 2012, 02:24 PM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
I agree... If you don't feel comfortable, then I would wait... I allow my kids to play at the neighbors (even though I haven't met them) because mine are a little bit older and I make sure they know if something happens they don't like to come right home.. When they get home, I am constantly asking them questions on what they did and stuff....
May 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I don't think you're crazy at all. Eli is only a toddler, but DH and I have talked about this lots. Our rule will be that he can not go over to anyone's house unless we KNOW and have had
multiple conversations with the parents.
However his friends would be allowed over at OUR house if they want to play. That's just how it will be.
If you aren't comfortable with it, then just keep doing what you're doing. IMO I'd rather have them under my watch and in my house People might think that *I* am crazy though
MrsLucy likes this.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
May 25th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree, do what you feel comfortable with! My kids generally didn't go to friends houses until they were in grade school. Our backyard has tons of play toys so that is usually were the neighborhood kids ended up. I've never had to deal with this at a younger age.

May 25th, 2012, 05:44 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
My oldest is 4 and I don't think you are crazy at all. I think it's those parents who send their kids off to strangers houses are the crazy ones! I think I would have to get to know the parents a little more before I felt comfortable. Not that having multiple convos with someone really let's you know what kinfpd of person they are (just what they want you to think they are) but you know...
May 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
MrsLucy's Avatar Super Mommy
I would do the exact same thing you did.. Not until I know the parents will I let my kids in strangers houses. It's better to be safe than sorry I think.

May 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Country928's Avatar Marisa
Your not crazy. Zoe is six and I still wouldt let her go to someones house i didn't know the parents even if they were neighbors. Our current neighbors, one being my grandpa, 3 i dont know and they t have teenagers, not young kids and the 4th, is my ex and his family. Their child is only 8 months old.
May 27th, 2012, 09:52 AM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks...good to know I'm not the only one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search