work, school, or SAHM?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2012, 10:06 AM
ericswife11's Avatar twin girls coming soon!
Do you ladies plan on working going to school or staying home? If your already in school or working how long will you take off?

I have about 6 months left of cosmetology school left but don't plan on going back for at least a year. the way its set up you have to go 40 hours a week.that's just too much for me with little ones and the $700 a month payments are rough on the pocket. I will stay home probably for the first year but who knows I may end up having to get a job a couple days a week for my own sanity. i really have no concept of what its going to be like having a 2 year old and twin newborns.
Nov, 17 2011 HCG- 149.1
Nov, 19 2011 HCG- 248.1
Said good bye to our 3rd little bean Nov. 27, 2011

May 26th, 2012, 10:09 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
I'm a SAHM and I go to school. I will be taking 2 classes in the Fall semester. One is only half the semester long so it will be done before baby comes. The other is only one day a week and I will have about a month of school left when baby come. That semester will finish up my Associates degree! Then I will take a semester off before starting on my Bachlors degree.

May 26th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I graduated nursing school last year and have been working since. I should find out in a week or so about transferring to labor and delivery. If I finally get to transfer there I'm sure I"ll have no issue going back to work as this has been my goal all along. If it does not go through it will be very hard to work, even now.... I already want to go down in hours so if I'm still on my current floor when I have the baby for some reason, it will be super hard to want to come back full time.
May 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
mrs.wagner.10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SAHM..I dont have family close by to watch the baby after its born and I dont trust anyone in this town to watch it. Plus its so $$$ here My check wouldnt even cover it..

7 lbs 7 oz 21" 11/4/12 2:11 pmThank you Kiliki for my amazing Siggy!!!
May 26th, 2012, 10:57 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
I'll be continuing my business. I'm not sure how this will go, but it'll all work out!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

May 26th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work, hopefully Im going to take my who leave covered by FMLA. My husband leaves in July to do his Army shizzle, so Ill have more time on my hands, so Ill probably start school too.

May 26th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm finishing up my masters, I have already taken all the classes that are required.

I have 4 major papers to turn in, plus a bibliography, and one exam left. I have until late August, but I opted to take the test and turn in 2 of the papers early, at the end of June .
I was supposed to do an internship this Spring/Summer, but I was much too sick with m/s and there was just no way I could work on my papers AND do the internship -- so I'll graduate in summer 2013 instead and do my internship when my baby is 5 months old (it lasts 3 months). I'm going to need to figure out something for daycare, I heard a rumor that for a short internship necessary to graduate, some daycares cannot refuse you and need to give you one of their "reserved" spots for such cases but I haven't checked to see if this is true. Our parents have offered to help and DH's job is flexible (he can work from home quite often if needed) so I'll do my best to make it work.
As soon as I graduate, I'm going to be looking for freelance, from-home work in my field... I'll see what my options for childcare are at that point.

May 26th, 2012, 11:38 AM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I went to college right out of high school, got an engineering degree and worked as an engineer until we had kids. I've been a SAHM since Nora was born 4 years ago, and plan on doing so until the twins are in school! I will then try to find a part time job that will let me be home when the kids get off school.
May 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I finished nursing school 2 yrs ago and JUST passed my RN boards a couple weeks ago I am currently looking for a job, but not overly stressed about it. The plan is for me to get a job so we can move closer to my parents and then for DH to start fire school
KrisCriss09 and BellaRN like this.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
May 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a nurse and plan on working until about 38 weeks. I will take 10-12 weeks off and then go back full time (three 12 hour shifts a week.) I am also in school now finishing my BSN and will continue to do that through the pregnancy and after the baby is born. I'll finish summer 2013
KrisCriss09 likes this.
May 26th, 2012, 01:10 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I already work from home so I guess technically ill be a stay at home even though I do work.

May 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I work... After the baby is born, I'm taking 12 weeks off. I will have to find daycare, but while the baby is little I prefer a home daycare setting. I'll have to see how that will all work out though, because I will be covering 100% of the costs of raising the baby.

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

May 26th, 2012, 01:42 PM
LindsayGriff
I will work up until the day this baby pops out or I am put on bed rest, then I will take off 6 wks and go back to work.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
May 26th, 2012, 01:54 PM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a SAHM and have been since before my first was born. Honestly, I don't plan on working again unless we need me to (which we don't right now), maybe a part time job once the kids are in school, but it would be very part time.

May 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran
I work full time and have been taking one or two courses a semester. I have a bachelor's degree already, but am trying to progress more in the accounting field where i currently work(degree is in psychology). I plan on taking a course this coming fall, and maybe one in the spring. I'm taking 12 weeks off of work after the baby is born though And hope to work part time soon after the baby is born. Hubby works 50-60 something hours a week so it's hard to keep up with everything around the house now, sure it will get worse once the baby is born!
May 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was working but I'm off on mat leave right now and will be for the remainder of this pregnancy and a year after the baby is born. We will evaluate then if I need to go back to work or can help out DH with his company.

May 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Veteran
Im a SAHM with Photography on the side.

May 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM
MelNYC's Avatar Melissa
I work full time and will up until baby comes. Then 12 weeks home - probably 6-8 off completely and then work from home a bit for the remainder. We will get a full time nanny when I go back to work. I don't need to work financially but it is nice the have my additional paycheck and I think I might need to mentally. All due to change if necessary though!
May 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I work at night from home, and will try to take a fee weeks off after baby, but not too long. I otherwise want to be a SAHM until the kids are in school. Then I would like to be a paraprofessional in a school
Caroline - November '12

May 26th, 2012, 05:45 PM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
I'm a SAHM these days.... I did work in a clean room for a pharmaceutical company, but when I got diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, my neurologist would not clear me to work. I am on disability since my neuro won't allow me to return to work. It just kicked in a few months ago, but i've been out of work since Nov. 2008.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search