Solids

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When is everyone planning on starting solids? Will you make your own baby food? Do you know what you want the first food to be? I apologize if this has already been talked about; I haven't been keeping up for a while.

We'll wait until she's at least 6 months, even though our ped. said we could start at the end of the 4th month. We'll also be making all our own food. My FIL has a large garden so we'll be taking advantage of the fresh organic fruits and veggies Haven't decided for certain yet but I'm thinking we'll probably see how she likes squash first.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 29th, 2012, 02:45 PM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DS1, we waited until 5.5 months, but I think we'll start Evan on rice cereal when he turns four months and maybe try some stage one veggie purees a couple weeks later. He's got a big appetite and often nurses every 1.5-2 hours during the day, so I'm hoping some solids will help stretch out feeding periods and help him sleep more than six hours in a row overnight.

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

May 29th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I wanted to start rice cereal at 4 months. Winter just likes to snack so much. Sweet peas and bananas after that.
May 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I am likely to wait until 6 months; Robby is doing fine and getting fat and going longer between feeds during the day. I can stop pumping soon because school is almost out (hooray!).

We will be making our own baby food; likely it'll be whatever we're having for dinner, just a little wetter and more smashed up. Bananas and carrots seem like the easiest starters. Gotta think about this some more and figure out what will turn into a good consistency (corn and string beans probably not so much, squash better). I kinda can't wait to see what he likes!

May 29th, 2012, 04:45 PM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to wait for solids for awhile. I definetly don't want to start with cereal. Would prefer to just start with veggies. I think I need to get started on researching solids and infants.
May 29th, 2012, 04:55 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We will start at 6 months or so. I don't know if we'll even do purees or not. Maybe just give her little bits of things to chew on. We'll have to see how it goes. I haven't really thought that far in advance yet!

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

May 29th, 2012, 04:55 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm gonna wait until six months at least, the take her lead from there. I'll more than likely end up making baby food, nothing too complicated about blending up whatever we are eating

May 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm letting her lead. She doesn't snack much. She eats 3 oz here, 4 oz there and 5 oz a lot of the time. I want to skip rice cereal. I dunno why but it grosses me out. I want to wait till we can start vegetables and then I'm going to make all her food. Or that's the plan anyway.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
May 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Am I the only one that is NOT looking forward to solids? Lol stinkier poo, making sure he gets the right nutrition, worrying about getting enough of this or too much of that .... ugh! Not fun sounding! That being said I'm aiming to wait till 6months. Although ill probably start giving him tastes of things before that. Ill probably start with baby cereal it makes a good buffer to add fruits into so they aren't so strong and shocking on fresh taste buds.

May 29th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Working mommy
With DD we waited till 6 mo. But with Jack we may start cereal a little earlier. Will start with rice cereal and then add a fruit or veggie puree each week or so. I didn't make DD food but I would like to try to make our own food for Jack.

I will say that if you have a lot of allergies in your family you may consider waiting till 6 mo to start. Also, rice cereal has a lot of iron in it and breast milk does not have a lot of available iron. Just something to consider.

Our FET love to complete our family
May 30th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandE View Post
Am I the only one that is NOT looking forward to solids? Lol stinkier poo, making sure he gets the right nutrition, worrying about getting enough of this or too much of that .... ugh! Not fun sounding! That being said I'm aiming to wait till 6months. Although ill probably start giving him tastes of things before that. Ill probably start with baby cereal it makes a good buffer to add fruits into so they aren't so strong and shocking on fresh taste buds.
I know what you mean, but if you still breastfeed (or ff) I don't think you have to worry too much about if he's getting enough nutrition. I think most of the nutrition is still supposed to come from that and anything else just supplements.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 30th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Working mommy
Breastmilk or formula is the main nutrition till almost 1yr. No need to worry about how much solid they take till like 9mo. But the poop does get stinkier!!

Our FET love to complete our family
June 1st, 2012, 12:25 AM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
I feed kyler a few bites of rice cereal earlier from a spoon,he loved it,he was laughing the whole time he just flat out loved eating from the spoon. Not having any tummy issues at all from it either. I'm just trying to get him introduced to the spoon as soon as possible because we will officially start around 5months. He already shows alot of interest in what i'm eating lately which is a great sign! He is 3months right now.

June 1st, 2012, 07:36 AM
Super Mommy
I have a question concerning solids: do we HAVE to start with baby cereal? Some of you have mentioned that you wanted to skip the cereals and start with veggies. Cause baby cereals gross me out too!

June 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wanted to wait till 6 months, but I may end up starting a bit sooner. I've lost 5 pounds since David was born, most of which was in the last 2 months. I'm hungry
ALL the time, and no matter how much I eat is lose weight. David is doing great though. He's getting nice and big, and is a super happy baby.

For the sake of my own health though I may end up adding a small amount of food into his diet.
June 2nd, 2012, 06:04 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
I have a question concerning solids: do we HAVE to start with baby cereal? Some of you have mentioned that you wanted to skip the cereals and start with veggies. Cause baby cereals gross me out too!
Nope at least not according to our old pedi. The had just recently started telling people not to worry about the cereals. Start whatever stage 1 consistence food you want to, just keep it one at a time.

June 2nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Libby22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will try and leave it as long as I can pro around 5mths

15 feb last cycle- 24 days
11 march- 30 day cycle
New cycle 10 April nz time
June 3rd, 2012, 07:17 AM
ASH_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We'll probably start Livy any day now - she's 4 months old today. We started Jojo with Avocado, and then did the rice cereal after that, so we'll probably do the same with Livy.

Oh, and we'll make some of our own food, but buy some already pre-made. Certain things are just easier to buy.

June 4th, 2012, 11:58 AM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
Olivis is almost 4 months old we started rice cereal 2 weeks ago. After her first appointment we will try veggies. Olivia stares at us while we eat and follows the spoon. So I figured it was time to start.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search