How did you choose your childrens names?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2012, 01:10 AM
Regular
For those of you with children already, how did you pick their names?

June 1st, 2012, 06:15 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
Just happened to be names we liked. With E, her middle name is that same middle name as my mom's twin sister who passed away at birth.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

June 1st, 2012, 06:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My son was originally supposed to be Christopher, but when his father left, I was not using it (same name) - I chose Christian after my friend's baby that had passed at 4mths. Bethany was chosen because my close friend's daughter's names are Brittany and Elizabeth, so I merged the two, I didn't realize at the time I wasn't inventing something I had never heard the name before... it still isn't all that common, but we have a town in our state of Bethany

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

June 1st, 2012, 06:28 AM
Mollyjayne's Avatar Super Mommy
I liked Jacy, but Jacy and our last name didn't flow so we lengthened it to Jacynda
Gail and just call her Jacy for short. Her middle name is Gail after her fathers mother.
so
Jacynda Gail.
June 1st, 2012, 06:47 AM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
For Amber we liked the name and her middle name is Marie after SIL. For holly, I had a lot of issues during pregnancy and was told we would miscarry. FIL wanted us to name her Faith, but we didn't like that as a first name and she was born in Dec. so we came up with Holly Faith. FIL calls her faith and he is the only one she allows to because she doesn't like the name but allows her Pepere to. Peter is named for my last name (Peters) and his middle name Armand, is after FIL (his first name) and DH middle name is Armand as well. This new baby girl, we still can't agree on a name yet so we'll see what she finally has for a name soon.
June 1st, 2012, 06:50 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Michael Joseph... after his father, and his Uncle. DH is Michael, his father is Michael, and so is his father. 4th generation Michael.

For this new one? The girl name we have is something we both really like. We haven't agreed on a boy name yet. But - we are just picking out names we like this time around - no tradition!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
June 1st, 2012, 07:46 AM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
Liam is named after my husband WilLIAM. Since DH's middle name starts with a J, he wanted Liam to have a J middle initial. So, we gave him the middle name of Josiah, after king Josiah of the Bible. He was a good king and had a lovely J name. Now we kind of wish we would've given him the middle name of Isaiah. His name and his initials would've both been L-I-A-M, our last name is hyphenated and is an A-M combination.

June 1st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
For Akadia, we searched and searched and searched for the perfect name. Then one day towards the 9th month, DH just said out of the blue "what about Akadia?" No clue how we are going to come up with a name this time. I have already read through my baby name book and I didn't like anything. All the decent names are way overused.

June 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used names we liked. It's hard for us to agree but somehow we finally do. Our oldest son is named after my dh. Our 3rd dd has my grandma's first name Anna, but grandma goes by her middle name. And our last baby girl Bethany has my middle name Michelle. We thought she might be our last baby and dh suggested naming her after me and after a loss before her I liked the idea. With this baby we have thought about possibly naming a boy after our both our dads. But there is are a couple other names we also like. If we have a girl we may use one on dh's aunts name as a middle name or one of my great grandma's names. We have no real idea yet.
June 1st, 2012, 09:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My son is Michael Jonathan, Michael is after dh and his dad and also a very common name in my family (my cousins name, brother, nephew, dads and grandpas middle)... so that worked out great. Also in my immediate family we often give middle names after someone... dh and his dad both have different "J" middle names so we picked ds's to be after dh's best friend Jonathan. It was easy and i didnt really have to think about it too much... this time, especially if we have a boy i have no idea what to do

June 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran
My first child is Christopher John Elmo. Christopher is my husbands middle name, John is my Grandpa who is passed and Elmo is my husbands Grandpa who has passed.

My 2nd child is Annastacia Pearl Heather. Annastacia is a long version of Stacey and my middle name is Ann. I was called Annie when I was growing up from my favorite uncle. Pearl is my grandma (johns wife) who has passed. Heather is a name my husband liked.

My 3rd is Steven Stacey James. Steven is my husband. Stacey is me! James is my husbands brother who named his oldest after my husband so we had to do a pay back.

This one? Ugh! The only family names we have left is Violet Marie and Charles Mark. We wont use Violet Marie but if its a boy I would like to use Charles in there some place. Not the first name.

June 1st, 2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran
My husband and I could not agree on anything until one day I blurted out Hannah. I did it out of desperation, but I didn't really like it. My husband liked it a lot so I went with it. I was tired of going back and forth. Her middle name is Elizabeth. My husband wanted that as her first name, but I did not like it so we compromised that it would be her middle name.

For this one (we don't know the gender yet) we think we have the boy's name, but for a girl we are at a loss. I think we will wait before we start discussing them. I like names that are unique and not used often, and he likes classic/old fashioned names.

June 1st, 2012, 10:38 AM
LindsayGriff
For Landen's first name we had 4 names picked out for a boy name that we both agreed on and when we went to the hospital we looked at him and just thought he looked like a Landen.His middle name kenneth is DH's middle name and also his fathers first name who died when DH was 6.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
June 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son's name is Neil David. Neil is after my father who died when I was 11. His name was Grady O'Neil but he went by Neil. David is DH's grandfather who passed away when DH was young.

This one will either be Emma Elisabeth or Alexander Paul. Emma was my grandmother (dad's mom) and Elizabeth is my mom's middle name (but I like the "s" spelling better). Alexander is an old form of my maiden name (Sanders) and Paul was DH's father who passed away 2 years ago. It is also DH's middle name.

June 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
We havent decided on a first name yet if its a girl, but the middle name will be Lynn. I've always wanted to use the middle name Lynn because my mom's name is Lynda, and my dad used to call her Lyn for short and my middle name ends LYN and so does my sisters. I hadnt even told this to DF and he suddenly blurts out he likes Lynn for a middle name. LOL so that was easy!

For a boy, the middle name Patrick is also the middle name of DF and his father. The first name Barrett.. well DF and his buddies all like to shoot guns.. and Barrett is a 50 cal semi-automatic sniper rifle... so he called me and goes "Me and the guys really really like this name... Barrett.." It was so cute the way he said it, and some how fitting.. (considering he's at war when I found out im Pregnant and he and his friends are obsessed with guns lol) so I went with it.

<3
June 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our daughter is Isabella Paige. My grandmother was Isabella, so it's a family name. I wish it wasn't the most popular name on the face of the freaking earth! Sigh...

We call her Izzy for short.

Her middle name is Paige, and we used it because it went well with her first name and wasn't too long.

June 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We came up with Kylie as almost a compromise. I has a few names that I wanted but Joey said no to all of them. But, he never offered suggestions. So one day I made him go through the name book and write down every name he liked. He had a decent sized list, but the only one I thought was okay was Kylie. Not really what I wanted, but I didn't hate it. Her middle name just popped in my head one day in the shower. Kylie Ada-I thought it sounded nice.
I'm not really sure where we decided on Mason, but for him it was between Mason and Jacob. We let Kylie choose and she picked Mason. His middle name is Joseph, which is my husbands first name.
Shortly after Mason was born, I started reading a blog and one of the boys name was Cullen. I really liked it. When Mason was around 9 months old, I decided if I ever had another son, his name would be Jaxon. So-when Cullen was born, it was between Cullen and Jaxon. I of course really wanted Jaxon, but Joey preferred Cullen. It wasn't until the morning we were leaving the hospital that I finally caved and said fine, Cullen it will be. But if we ever have another son, his name WILL be Jaxon. Joey was fine with that. We had spent so much time arguing about a first name, that we hadn't really discussed middle names much. So, to make it easy, we went with Joseph for him as well.
Now this time, we havent spent much time discussing names yet so who knows. The only thing we do know is that if it's a boy his middle name will be Joseph as well. We can't use Jaxon now because my brother and SIL decided to name my nephew Jacksen. Different spelling, but still the same name. So I'm lost on boys names. Jaxon was my boy name...

Last edited by *Ade*; June 1st, 2012 at 01:26 PM.
June 1st, 2012, 03:19 PM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
with all of our kids we give them one name that is after some one. Sometimes its a first name sometimes its a middle name.

With our first DH reallllly wanted to name her after his mom. So the first name was picked pretty easily. Since I let him name her first name after his mom I got free reign over the middle name. I went with my favorite girl name. It was the name I actually wanted for her first name. So her name is Karen Alyssa.

With our second we could not decided between Megan and Amanda. We asked our parents and friends thier opinions on which hey liked better. Her middle name I wanted it to be my middle name beacuse I wanted to name her after me some way and I hate my first name. While putting the crib together Karen walked in and asked, "Dat Mina bed?" I asked "Amanda?" trying to clerify what she was saying. She confirmed, "Yes Mina". Since our almost 2 year old was already calling the baby Amanda we went with it and let her be the deciding vote. Mina is now her nickname and what she goes by most often. That is how Amanda Marie was named.

With our son it was pure heck trying to figure out a name. DH wanted something with a strong meaning and wanted a name that was scotish or irish due to his family orign. Connor was the only name that we could agree on. Since DH set so many guide lines on the first name he let me choose who I wanted to name him after in regards to the middle name. I choose my step dad. My birth dad was a dirt bag father and not around much. From the second my mom started dating him he stepped up into the dad roll for both my brother and I. (Even though I was 18 and my brother was 20) Ever since he has been like my real dad! So I decided to give our son the middle name fter him. That is how Connor Michael got his name.

June 1st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My First Bowen Christopher is named after his uncle

My second Maysun Ruth (Mason is her dads middle name) Ruth (my grandmother)

3rd Evan Michelle (I wanted to name Maysun Evan, but my X vetoed it) my grandmother had just passed away and her name was Eva. So I won that battle and got to use Evan. Michelle (is my sisters name)

4th Maddox David, I wanted a sir name, since all of their names are sir names and I wanted something Welsh like my oldest sons name. His nickname is Max. For a solid year when Bowen was about 3 we had to call him "Max" every time we addressed him. If we called him his name he didnt answer
David is after my uncle.

June 2nd, 2012, 06:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Steven was named after my dh's best friend who died in a car accident right after we met, his middle name is Joseph after dh. Joey's named after dh and his middle name is my 2cnd son's middle name. Justin, Rachyl, Rebecca, Jacob, and Ryan are names we just liked.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search