emotional day

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By mrs.wagner.10
  • 1 Post By NewGurl
  • 2 Post By fancypants27

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2012, 11:05 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ok so this may seem a bit ridicules to some of you I understand not everyone here has my affection for the feline kind But today the younger of my cats Spazz Went into labor. And It did not go well.

the second kitten was a still born she freaked and took it in her mouth and ran off she had it under the bed cuddling it and cleaning it and crying It had me in tears but I had to take it from her because she had a live one that she wouldnt care for because she was flipping out so much.

So we finally got her back to the live one who she picked back up on cleaning off so I thought all would be good from there on well she had a third *only the second live one* and I realized she wasn't feeding them she was cleaning them and then standing up and pacing around.

so I went down to walmart to pick up some KMR and nursing bottle while the BF watched her. well I couldnt find the newborn nursing bottles and I guess between seeing the stillborn and being afraid non of them would make it because I couldn't find a stupid bottle I just lost it I was crying my eyes out in the middle of walmart. I eventually got some help and for some insane reason they Keep the nursing bottles with the flea treatment on a separate isle from the formula.

when I got back she had 3 live kittens but the first 2 were barely breathing so I set up the nurser bottles and tried to feed them some but they wouldn't open there mouths. finally we figured out a way that my BF could hold open there mouth and I would squirt a little formula in then let them close up and swallow. it took a while but they finally started moving around on there own. although they still wouldnt latch and suck but still movement is better then nothing.

as of right now she has 4 live kittens and has finally settled down enough to clean them all the way and let them rest near her but they still arnt latching to her right so Im not really sure if they will make it or not.

ugg Im just such a mess right now Between how much the kitties mean to me to start with loseing any of them whould be a blow no matter what but being pregnant and watching her huddling over her dead baby crying and trying so hard to fix it I just cant handle it.

June 5th, 2012, 11:12 AM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
When my cat had kittens, she wouldn't let any of them feed until a week or so.. We had to keep them warm and feed them. Lot of sleepless nights trying to feel all the kitties by hand. Make sure those babies stay warm. My vet told me to get like a basket or something and to put some uncooked rice in a sock and heat in the microwave.. I think i put in for like 35 seconds... then put the sock under the blanket so it wouldn't burn them and put them on top with another blanket over it all to keep the heat in longer.... I hope they are able to latch on soon... Good luck.
June 5th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

June 5th, 2012, 11:25 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
That is heart breaking!! I hope the rest of the kitties make it!!

June 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A very stressful and emotional time for you... I hope all the other kittens will do well and that her maternal instinct will kick in soon so she can feed and take care of them.

June 5th, 2012, 11:34 AM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
That's horrible! I would be upset to. (((hugs)))) I hope your able to help them. I hope mama cat comes around to he natural instincts to nurture her surviving kittens.
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
June 5th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww, that's so sad I hope the others will make it.

June 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Derby Girl's Avatar Veteran
Im sorry, with the kittens and being pregnant it must not be easy at all. I hope the other kittens make it! You are already such a good mama!
June 5th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
That is so rough. My dog Cheyenne was pregnant (back when I was young and thought it would be fun to have a litter of wienie dogs) and had complications. She had to have an emergency c-section and turned out 3 of her puppies were already dead. The two that survived were about a week premature and no matter what I did, they just didn't thrive. I cried for days while trying to nurse those babies. I swore then and there I would never ever do that again. Poor Cheyenne had a full hysterectomy with the C-section. Any animals from now on will be fixed before they set foot in my house. I pray the little guys make it. They have a better chance since they aren't preemies. Lots of people successfully nurse kitties. Just keep them warm and try to keep feeding them.

June 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
mrs.wagner.10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry your going threw this, Please dont take any of this the wrong way. I am just trying to help you. With feeding the kittens like that you have got to be very careful. If they get any of it in their lungs they will get pneumonia and they will die. You also have to worry about them choking on it, When they choke and they will, Pick them up with their back where your two hands meet and hold on to them and sling them twords the ground. That will help pull the liquid out. Kelly, Some things go wrong and the mother wont take a kitten or you lose one. Its part of it. Please get your fur babys fixed. If Spazz is already having problems with her first litter more then likely shes going to have them with several more and it takes a cat 63 days from the time she is bred till shes in labor, 2 weeks after they have kittens they can get pregnant again and it is very very hard on them. Please keep in mind that your going to have to have all of the kittens vetted and wormed and defleaed before they go to their new homes. You might also want to check with your local area to see how many animals they will allow in one house. I know here it is 3 animals. Babys or not they still count them. If they get a report that you have so many they will come out and fine you and or take them away. I am going to school to be a vet and I hope your not offended in any way. I am really just tring to help and look out for yours and the cats best interest. If you need any help with them I can and will try to help the best that I can. Please take everything into consideration here. :-)

7 lbs 7 oz 21" 11/4/12 2:11 pmThank you Kiliki for my amazing Siggy!!!
June 5th, 2012, 12:51 PM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
Didn't your other cat recently have kittens? Is she still nursing? Will she allow the new kitties to try to nurse from her as well? Might be worth a try to get the other momma kitty to help with them...
June 5th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
This is heartbreaking to read. I hope all goes well with your surviving kittens and Mama kitty is more relaxed now and willing to feed. She had a big litter for her first go. Maybe that had something to do with the complications? -- I don't know. I was told normally first time Mama kitties usually only have 2-3 babies, but who decides what's "normal" anyways.

I agree though, if you have another Mama kitty she could be a replacement milk supply so you wouldn't have to try feeding them by hand. If not -- make sure you feed the babies with them flat on their bellies; tilting their heads up or holding them vertical is another way that the kittens could easily choke or suck milk into their lungs (which CAN cause lots of problems or death). I wish you the best of luck and hope that your day is going better now and things are more relaxed for you.

June 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh wow, that is heartbreaking, Im sorry :-(

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
June 5th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
aww hun! So sorry! I would've been bawling and freaking out too!! i've heard many people bottle feeding kittens and they turn out okay, you just have to have the dedication! Good luck!!!

<3
June 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well we seem to be steady holding at 4 live Kittens I tried the idea about Harley nursing them but she wouldn't lay down for them. however as the day has progressed Spazz seems to have calmed down alot and is getting into the swing of things. I honestly kind of wonder if she wasn't just still upset about the stillborn kitten. Im defiantly keeping a close eye and extra blankets but It seems to be looking up. Im still gonna be super worried about them for the next few days but hopefully all will go well now. thank you guys for being so supportive and helpful as always srry I always seem to be freaking out or complaining about something Im so not used to feeling like this.
Ame C likes this.

June 6th, 2012, 05:30 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would be such an emotional wreck too. glad Spazz is calming down and settling in to having kitties. That being said - PLEASE get both your cats spayed. We have an cat (and dog) overpopulation problem in america. Over 90% of cats that end up in shelters / pounds get euthanized because there are just so many of them. I work with animal rescue - there are fates MUCH worse than stillbirth for these poor animals. Google Luka Magnotta as a recent example.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search