Questions re: three kids

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2012, 11:56 AM
~l~
For those of you with three kids- can you please help me out by describing your rooming/dresser/closet situation? How many of your kids share rooms- what ages are they? How do you keep their shoes, clothing, etc separate and organized? Do you have toys in their bedrooms or do you have a specific playroom where all toys are kept?

I'm sorry if this sounds silly, but I have an OVERWHELMING need to get things figured out and organized for our THREE girls and I am at a loss. I don't have a good system of organization yet and I really need to figure it out.

THANKS!
June 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Right now my oldest two share a room (ages 5 and 3) and my youngest is in a room by himself. Soon we will be putting my oldest in with the room with his brother, and the crib will be set up in my daughters room. Right now there are absolutely NO toys allowed in bedrooms, they would never go to sleep and I'd be woken up with fights in the mornings. We have a playroom downstairs and that is where they stay. My 2 that share both have a separate dresser with only their own clothes and then I have the closet divided in half. Once my oldest goes into the room with his brother, I'll do the same in that room. We only have a 3 bedroom house so there will be 2 kids per room when the baby comes. If this baby turns out to be a boy ( 3 boys!) we may end up building an addition if we don't move by then (this wouldn't happen until dealing with 3 teenage boys!)

June 5th, 2012, 12:21 PM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
I don't have all 3 kids on one room. Connor has his own then the girls share. The girls are 9 and 7. They each have thier own chest of drawers. The closet is split in half. One on the left, one on the right. Not a ton of room but I rotate clothes depending on the season. All Winter stuff is put away to allow enough room for thier summer clothes. The majority of thier toys remain in the loft. The loft is the kids living room. It has a 50 inch TV, drawers for toys, then a childrens recliner for each kid. The only toys the girls keep in thier room is thier baby doll stuff, stuffed animals, and barbie dolls. (Then any electronic stuff or things thier brother is not allowed to play with.) We tried to seperate them the last place we lived and they hated it. Begged to share a room again when we moved here in Sept. We agreed and let them.

We have a 4 bedroom. So right now we have a guest room. When baby is born baby will share a room with Connor. With Connor being 2 we don't think there will be an issue if this baby is a girl. At that young of an age we don't feel they need to be sepearted. We will probaly seperate them in a couple years. If baby is a boy then they will probably share for a while.

Last edited by rhill4455; June 5th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
June 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM
~l~
Thank you ladies!! Sounds like I need at least one, maybe two more dressers I don't need to buy any clothes or baby equipment, but we may need to get some more furniture to help with organization.
June 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM
newserenity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have three girls. I have a bench with cubbies by the door with hooks above. Coats and backpacks go on the hooks, shoes in the cubbies under the bench.

Two girls- 3 1/2 and 6 share a room. They have one dresser and have two drawers each that are labeled for tops and bottoms. They have a smaller 3 drawer dresser with undies and socks in the top drawer (shared) and then each have a jammie drawer.

They share a closet, half for each DD. I would like to add a lower rod for the youngest and have the older DD use the top rod eventually.

My oldest DD has her own room, closet and dresser.

June 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
We recently moved into a 4 bedroom, because sharing rooms was getting out of control. So at the moment, everyone has their own room. My dd is 9, another dd 7 and DS 4... When our baby girl gets here she will be in our room until she goes into a toddler bed. At this point we are thinking about turning 1/3 or 1/2 of the basement into another bedroom for my oldest DD so they can still have their own rooms. If we don't get to converting the basement, we will move DS into my 7 y/o room because it is the smallest and move my 7 y/o to DS room because it is the biggest room and the 2 younger girls will share a room... They all have their own dressers and closets. Currently their toys are in their rooms but we want to make the enclosed porch into a play room, so we can keep toys out of their rooms. They keep their shoes in the mud room and take them off as we come in the door.
June 5th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a 5bedroom house and my 2 youngest girls share a room. They share a dresser. They have a large walk in closet and there is plenty of room for their clothes. On girl has one side of the closet and the other has the other side.

They do have toys in their room. Dolls and doll houses are in the closet, along with a large tote with baby dolls. I have a shelving unit in their room with different divided sections (from IKEA) that has small totes with barbies, doll clothes, etc. I love the IKEA shelf because I can stack 4 totes high. So it really optimizes space.

June 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a 3 bedroom house. New baby will have the small room 3rd bedroom. My 2 and 3 year old will be sharing a room. We bought a loft type bed by maxtrix, and put another mattress on the floor underneath so it's kind of a bunk bed now. They have a decent size closet and most of their clothes are hung up, they each have one side of the cloest. I put the short dresser in the closet, it does have some clothes in it, along with socks, and other items like diapers, underwear, etc. the closet has a ton of shelves too, that arent very well organized right now, but im workingon it. They also have a tall armoire that we keep pjs in( one shelf for each girl) and toys in the two drawers on it. There is room in there for some toys,but not many, the play kitchen fits in there, their shopping cart, and little doll center thing.. Some toys are kept in the closet, most are in the living room. All shoes go in the closet near the front door.

We also have a ottoman in the living room that has storage in it, we keep little toys in there so they are hidden when they aren't being played with.

Last edited by MomtoCarly&Sofia; June 5th, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
June 5th, 2012, 08:24 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
We have a 5 bedroom house. #1 and #2 shared a room until this past January when we made a monster truck bed for DS. It is gigantic, about 8.5 feel long!! So there really wasn't room for him in there anymore. We just moved the guest room to the main floor bedroom and moved him into the room furthest from us upstairs.

#2 and #3 will share once #3 is out of a basinet. They each have their own dresser and closet (#3 will get the closet in the office.) Toys are not allowed in bedrooms. I have a hard enough time keeping them clean of the clothes they pull from their drawers!
Caroline - November '12

June 6th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Veteran
Right now we have a 3 bedroom apartment. My daughter is in her own room and then the boys in a shared room. My oldest HATES to share and wants his own room desperately. We will be moving into a 3 bedroom townhouse in Nashville. Right now this is a heated topic in our house. My 10 year old is really mature. My 9 year old daughter is immature for her age. My 5 year old is normal. LOL I was thinking on letting my 9 year old girl and 5 year old son share a room for a year til we buy our own home. My husband thinks child protective services would be knocking down our doors because a boy and girl would share a room. Really? They are young and I dont see it as a problem. The 9 and 5 year old LOVE to play together. My oldest likes more older things.
Right now we dont own dressers. We will get them in TN. Each their own so we need 4 dressers. Toys are in their rooms.

June 6th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am very thankful this is not something I have to consider... This will be my 3rd as well, but I live in a 4BR duplex, so each child wil have his/her own room. Besides, there is no way my teens would accept sharing their rooms. My daughter actually wants to move her room to the basement so that she won't have to hear the baby crying at night That is what she says, but I think she REALLY wants to be away from me. The kids have always had their toys in their rooms.

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

June 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM
newserenity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL to Stacey about CPS knocking because of a 9 and 5 yr old opposite sex sharing! LOL I don't see the big deal at that age. My SIL's 9 yr old boy/ 3.5 yr old girl share a room and it's okay. Now in a few years I doubt they will be too happy about it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search