Baby Friendly Hospital

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By Leanne78
  • 1 Post By meddleman
  • 3 Post By *Izzy's*Mommy*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In my hospital packet there is a flyer that says as of April 15th the hospital no longer gives pacifiers to healthy, full-term newborns in an effort toward supporting the UNICEF/WHO Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative.

Anyone ever heard of this? Apparently it's still pretty rare, but it means the hospital really advocates breastfeeding. I'm excited about this!

I can still bring a pacifier and hospital-grade pacifiers will be sold in the hospital store, but none will be handed out.

Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
newserenity and Ame C like this.

June 5th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Never heard of that - the baby friendly initiative that is. My hospital will not give them one unless you authorize it. We didn't give Akadia one right away, but eventually I was willing to stick anything in there to shut her up (she was not a very "content" infant!) We had already been breastfeeding for about a week though and it never bothered her. We'll probaby hold off again and only use it as a last resort for this baby too. I was lucky because Akadia never really got that attached to hers. Only used it for bedtime and stopped using it on her own around a year.
MrsLucy likes this.

Last edited by Leanne78; June 5th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
June 5th, 2012, 03:40 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
My hospital is baby friendly and it's the sae hospital my second DD was born. I loved it, they were very pro bfing and had lactation consultants readily available, etc.
MrsLucy likes this.
June 5th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what my hospital does with what they consider healthy babies. DS was full term and I think healthy, but they still put him in the NICU for 24hrs because he was grunting when he breathed. The NICU nurses gave him a pacifier and I hated it. I think it got LOST as soon as he was in the room with me.

June 5th, 2012, 04:33 PM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
I haven't heard of it either.. I know when DS was in the NICU, they gave one to him and I was upset about it because we weren't going to give one to him due to issues we had with breaking my DD. But figured he was going through a lot being there and "fighting", so I didn't make a big deal about it. Now that we are in MA, I will have to see what the policy is where we will be delivering.
June 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
That is awesome!

June 5th, 2012, 05:14 PM
melrose09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The hospital on base where I delivered Sully tried to give him a paci, but they were also VERY pro-BF. I haven't the slightest idea where I will be delivering this baby, but it's definitely something I will ask about. I'm going to request no paci and absolutely NO formula unless there is a serious health issue that prevents bf-ing from happening. I've heard horror stories of hospitals just giving formula without parental consent.

Mommy to Sullivan Daniel - 12/11/10
June 5th, 2012, 08:13 PM
baybeecakes08's Avatar Super Mommy
the hospital i delievered my first at was HORRIBLE.. they took my baby in the middle of the night fed him formula he was SO sick and and throwing up ALL night and the nurses didnt clue in he was ALLERGIC to the milk.. and to top it off i told them i was BREASTFEEDING and to bring him when he got hungry.. UGH sorry had to rant a bit..
needless to say i delievered mysecond at a different hospital and will with this one to thatis pro breast and pro mom makes the choices !!

[/url]
June 5th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Super Mommy
never heard of it.... but like the idea!
June 5th, 2012, 09:23 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's awesome! The WHO also recommends bf'ing until at least 2 years old. I wish more people would realize that and not look at me like a nut job for nursing past 2 years.

June 5th, 2012, 10:38 PM
MrsLucy's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for the info, I will look into that

June 5th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not sure what my hospital does but most hospitals that I delivered at asked first.
June 6th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what my hospital does, I'm delivering at a new hospital.

June 6th, 2012, 07:06 AM
~l~
I don't know if the hospital I am delivering at is a part of this particular initiative, but I delivered both of my girls there and they never gave a pacifier without asking me first. I doubt they would give a baby formula without asking- they only take the baby to do checks. With both deliveries, when they took our baby to do a check and we asked how long it would be, they made sure to let us know it would be quick because they do NOT take care of our baby for us- it is our job. It was annoying because they assumed we wanted them to take care of our baby, but really we wanted our baby back ASAP.
June 6th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
All the hospitals in my state are WHO approved maternities; minimal internal checks, no monitoring during normal labour, minimal medical intervention, no enema/shaving/routine episiotomy, the baby is delivered straight onto your chest and there is no nursery.

DD was given a pacifier because she had a traumatic birth and needed encouragement to suck. She breastfed till 15 months so it didnt do her any harm.

June 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our hospital is baby friendly, too! They don't do pacis, and they placed him right on my chest after birth and encouraged skin to skin for a long time before they took him Lots of LC help, and help and encouragement the first time we nursed.. I remember her asking if I was ready to try nursing.. I am glad she asked because I didn't even think to feed the baby that first time .

I'm glad this is all positive! I have seen it brought up before with a lot of negativity. The View clip I watched was alllll negative. People are kinda taking it as a stab against formula feeding but that's not the case at all. They won't kick you out for using a binky or FF, they just do things in a different way so that it makes breastfeeding easiest if that's what you choose to do. I love baby friendly hospitals!

June 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Someone else told me about the skin to skin, too! They said that if you have a c-section at a baby-friendly hospital they have the father do skin to skin instead. It sounds like there is nothing but good from my perspective. Knowing that my hospital is trying to become baby friendly accredited also makes me feel they will be willing to do the delayed cord clamping, too.

June 6th, 2012, 05:42 PM
MelNYC's Avatar Melissa
Oooo thanks for the info. I need to see what my hospital's policy is. Another thing on my ever-growing to do list!
June 6th, 2012, 09:10 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
Yeah once my second DD came out they put her on my chest and had me latch her right away, even before cutting the cord! I fed her like that while they finished what they needed to do, about 20 minutes, before they even took her to be weighed or cleaned. It was AWESOME!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search