OT - vacuums

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2012, 09:26 PM
LindsayGriff
So for my vacuum I had an electrolux canister vacuum that lasted me at least 12 yrs. Over the last few months I knew it was starting to go bad because the carpet head would not always connect right with the hose and the powered head would sometimes kind of studder turning on, we would just slightly twist the head and try to push the connection together tighter and it would seem to then work. We were trying to put fof buying a new vacuum for a little bit because we had just purchased DS's new furniture for his new room and I got custom made curtains for his room which were not cheap but the other day I was redoing the shelving in DS's new closet to switch it from an office closet shelving to a wardrobe shelving and had to fill in the old holes with plaster and then eventually sand them and paint them. After finished I plugged in the vacuum to clean up and it literally started shooting flames out from the prongs that are used to make connection of the hose with the carpet head and it started to smell of burnt plastic. I quickly shut it off and unplugged it and refuse to try to re-use it so now I definately need to buy a new vacuum. So does anyone have any suggestions on a good quality vacuum, I don't want a piece of junk, I want good suction. I have 2 cats that tend to shed. We went shopping last weekend and can't decide what to get. We have carpeted stairs that need vacuumed and we have to vacuum furniture often. All the salesmen were consistent in saying the dyson's had the best suction. I like the canister vacuums vs. the uprights in that I feel they are easier to get under furniture and go up stairs however the dyson cannister has an air powered head and not a motorized head and the salesman told us that for our thick medium length carpet it might not work the best, it is meant for short nappy carpet. The other cannister vacuums though have HEPA air filters that need to be changed every 6 months and they have bags you have to buy so he said it will run us about 70 dollars a year in maintanence. The other thing I do like about the cannisters is that they have an electric powered small furniture/vacuum head atachment. I think this would be best getting hair off our furniture and for cleaning the stairs. Only the cannisters have this attachment. The uprights for the dyson animal have an attachment similar to this but it is an air powered head and I think it will have the same problem on our stairs carpet that the salesman said we would have with the dyson air powered head on the dyson cannister vacuum. So I like the dyson upright which does have an electrical powered head for the suction power it is toted to have and the fact that it is bagless and has a washable filter so there is no yearly maintance but I would like to have an electrically powered furniture/carpet head for our furniture and carpeted stairs which is only found in other cannister brands so I am torn. What would you all do or if you really like your vacuum, what brand do you have and what do you like about it.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
June 5th, 2012, 09:59 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have the Dyson animal and love it.

June 5th, 2012, 10:09 PM
melrose09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have the LG Kompressor and I love everything about it except that it is pretty heavy. I might get a smaller, lighter vacuum for the new house to keep upstairs so I don't have to lug it up there every day.

Mommy to Sullivan Daniel - 12/11/10
June 6th, 2012, 04:02 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
I have this canister vac (only it was a little cheaper in store though, I've had it for almost 2 years and mine is blue):
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02021514000P?cw=true
I really really love it!! We have carpet and bare floors and upright/bagless vacuums didn't pick up anything for us! And I wasn't going to spend $500-600 on a vacuum that might not work no matter how awesome people say it is. Growing up we had a sears kenmore canister that worked awesomely, so I decided to cave and get one and I've been very thrilled with it. The pet attachment is great for vacuuming the couch, beds, the car and the dogs beds.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

Last edited by KatherineD; June 6th, 2012 at 04:06 AM.
June 6th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We've gone through many vacuum's in the past few years. Dirt devil's and the cheaper bissels suck. We had the bissel pet eraser and that last almost a year, which is the longest of any vacuum. Keep in mind though we have 9 people and a dog we sometimes vacuum several times a day. We finally sucked it up and bought a dyson, I love it so far we almost went w/ a shark but I found a pink dyson and I had to have it, lol.

June 6th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Super Mommy
My mom found a Hoover Whirltunnel for $150 and it's the best vacuum I'v ever had. I also have two cats, and I was floored (no pun intended) at how amazing this one is. Plus, it's got a HEPPA filter, it's bag-less, and you only need to wipe the filter down every two months. No loss of suction on this baby!
Rosalie Octavia, born on October 22nd and 9:35am, 7 pounds 2 ounces, 19 inches.
June 6th, 2012, 05:14 AM
~l~
It sounds like it might not work for you, but we have had the Dyson Animal for 6 years and LOVE it. We recently got a shaggy rug for our living room and I think the Dyson works fine on it, but I don't know if I it would work well if all of our carpet was shaggy- no idea. I have never used a canister vacuum, so I can't compare.
June 6th, 2012, 05:15 AM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Friend worked at dyson so we bought 4 vacuums for family (all uprights) and everyone loves them. Its been about 5 years. They are by far the best vaccuum imo. Stairs are a PITA for me with the dyson - we have granite so I just use the attachment and the vaccuum always falls over. Maybe its just me.

I have not tried the dyson cannister vaccuum, although I have been thinking about getting one.

While in FL my friend purchased the new electrolux cannister vac and it works great...but on floors. Can't comment how it will do on carpet.

June 6th, 2012, 05:25 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just bought a Shark Navigator last week, and so far love it... but of course can't vouch for it on a long term basis.

You can detach the canister from the upright, and carry it around, which is super cool for doing the staircase. It also has a pet hair attachment, and a bare floor attachment. Has great suction so far, and a dyson-like swivel motion.

We wanted a Dyson, but when our cheap-o sweeper died last week, we had to get what we could afford. The Shark was $188, and I think it's great so far!

June 6th, 2012, 07:03 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we have a Eureka upright bagless and it is not very good. It has great suction, but the filter is located INSIDE the dirt canister, which is probably the stupidest idea of all time, because you have to clean it after every use. I did not realize this when I purchased it, however. It's too bad because it was inexpensive and it does have great suction. I'd love it if the filter were located in a better spot.

baby Roger @ 7 months

June 6th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
We have a Shark something or other. We had a Dyson for years, but that piece of junk was always breaking. DH spent more time fixing it than vacuuming and it cost almost $400! The cord also went to heck after just a few months of use. We may have just gotten a dud though. Haven't had a minutes trouble with our Shark and it was half the price.

June 6th, 2012, 07:16 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a cheapy Bissel from Walmart, we've had it for four years now and never had a problem with it. It still works great. I can't see spending a lot on something that only picks up dirt. For the what 50 ish we spent on it (can't remember exactly it was so long ago) its done great, and I'd buy another, we've definitely gotten our money's worth.

June 6th, 2012, 07:22 AM
-Brandy-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have the Dyson animal and couldn't be happier with it. I had a problem with the head at one point- called Dyson they shipped out a new head, no questions asked I didn't have to even ship the old one back to them- talk about customer service.

We have two dogs (one is a hairy shepherd and the other a boxer) and we also have a cat....this vacuum does the job with getting hair up and off furniture as well. I use it on my hardwood, carpet, furniture and stairs.

A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search