Poor little muchkin spent 4 days at the hospital :(

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran
Talk about a ruff week.
We thought our time in the hospital with our little munchkin was through. After spening 1 month in the NICU with Tristan I never wanted to see the walls of a hospital for him again. Sunday he was lethargic and was refusing to eat. By that night his fever started to rise despite giving him Tylenol-Tempra. We took him to the emergency room of the Children`s hospital where he was admitted right away with 104 fever. His soft spot was bulging so they immediately were suspecting meningitis!! They ran tons of tests, blood work up, urining analysis, head ultrasound and we even had to do a lumbar puncture.... Gulp... All came back negative thank heavens.
They kept us in observation until his fever started to decrease and he was eating about 1 ounce every 3 hrs. They said it would be better to go home so baby would not catch another virus staying longer at the hospital.
The next day, Tristan was refusing to eat again and Tylenol was not helping with his fever, so we called our pediatrition who said to take him back to the hospital that they have to find the cause of the infection. He was readmitted and md said we had to redo all exams because he could of caught something else!!! We said no to a 2nd lumbsar puncture as long as his blood cultures showed no bacterial infection we would not put him through that again. They did additional testing of his mucous and stool samples and still found nothing but were concered since his soft spot was know sunken in due to dehydration at this point since he was refusing to eat. He was put on IV for 1 day and started to drink abit more. He drinks only breastmilk but was still refusing to take the bottle or breast so we were putting the milk in syringe and giving it to him that way bit by bit. They discharged us again saying it must be a virous but since he is small-premature he gets sick more easily and worse then others would.
So we`ve have several sleepless nights, but i am so glad to report that he started to take the breast today and he only has a low grade fever that goes away completely with Tylenol at this point. We are keeping a close eye on him and his pediatrition is seing him on monday to check his hydration level and weight (since he obviously lost abit on his hunger strike....). One good thing is that hospital found that he is severly anemic and we are started iron supplements just as soon as he feels a little better...
June 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Indymommy7's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SO sorry to hear this

I hope he continues to get better.

Mother to Chad 19, Alexa 18, Jeremiah 16, Madelyn 13, Korinne 6, Sky 3, and introducing baby Linden 1/17/12

Thanks for the beautiful siggy
June 14th, 2012, 03:03 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i'm sorry. i hope he's feeling better asap!!

ah!
i was due in february and had a january baby. my mistake. :-D
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search